Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MoviePass

If AMC was closer to me I'd probably switch to it. Don't see many movies in 3D/IMAX but hey maybe I would with this. Getting seats ahead of time is big though.

I have a Cinemark closer to me and their Movie Club sucks. You're basically paying $8.99 for every ticket. Only good thing is 20% off concessions but it's garbage compared to Moviepass or AMC's new offering.

Well that's disturbing, but not altogether surprising. We knew this couldn't last. But as long as it's opening weeend, no big deal to me. I've been avoiding those with MoviePass with the lack of advanced ordering anyway. Also the lack of repeat viewings. I bought my opening weekend Infinity War ticket, then saw it again with MP.

But things are getting interesting for sure.

MoviePass just sent out an email detailing their upcoming service upgrades.
- - - - -

"A Message To Our Members:

The revolution is happening now, and it is all thanks to you. In less than a year, three million pioneers joined us on our journey to see more great movies at an unbeatable price. And we want to thank you, our community, for your steadfast support of our company and growth.

In the spirit of innovation and growth, we are now announcing the next phase in the evolution of our product: Demand Pricing.

In the coming weeks, we will roll out three different upgrades to our base $9.95 service for our members.

Bring-A-Guest: MoviePass members will be able to purchase extra tickets to a showing of a movie right through the MoviePass app, so that you can seamlessly reserve seats for you and your friends (at e-ticketing partner theaters) to watch a film even if they aren’t MoviePass subscribers. As a benefit, if your friend signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours, we’ll refund the entire cost of the ticket!

Peak Pricing: MoviePass is committed to maintaining our low monthly price as we continue to grow rapidly. Rather than raise our prices or limit viewings, our plan has been to develop a new variable pricing system based on the demand for particular showtimes. Under this plan, if the combination of demand for a title, date or part of day is higher, subscribers may be asked to pay a small additional fee depending on the level of demand. You can avoid this peak surcharge by choosing an alternative date or film. We will also soon give subscribers one “peak pass” per month, allowing them to waive a Peak Price surcharge once per month. Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.

Premium Showings: MoviePass members on any plan will soon be able to access RealD 3D, IMAX 2D or 3D, and other Premium Large Format showings of any film for an additional upgrade fee.

These features are being tested currently and will slowly roll out to all our members over the next several weeks.

Our aim is to create the most flexible and cost-efficient product, so that we don’t have to simply raise the price on the subscription. We appreciate your flexibility as we evolve our service to keep MoviePass at a low cost. We can’t express how much we value all of you for being part of that vision.

Thank you.

Sincerely, The MoviePass Team"

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm totally fine with this. There's usually only one film a month that I really want to see opening weekend and since this allows us to waive one "peak charge" per month I'm cool with it.

There's a reason the surge pricing is starting now. I have a feeling they're going to tack on $6 to the vast majority of showtimes no matter the movie.
I think it is too late. Dog days of summer coming and this dog is at $0.19 and falling. IPO at $2.50 and last year at $32.90. Wonder who it was that thought this was a sound enough business model that they bought at $10+? I guess they just wanted the next big thing without looking at the fundamentals.

This never truly had a chance at lasting. If they would've been smarter about pricing from the start then maybe. Now the closest we'll have to this is the AMC A-List, which costs about $12 more per month and a lot less movies. And only AMC theaters obviously.

So yeah, sad day it will be.

This never truly had a chance at lasting. If they would've been smarter about pricing from the start then maybe. Now the closest we'll have to this is the AMC A-List, which costs about $12 more per month and a lot less movies. And only AMC theaters obviously.

So yeah, sad day it will be.

I was hoping it would last long enough to force Regal to offer a similar subscription service, but it looks pretty doomed right now.

Crazy that people are pulling for this thing to fail.

I don't think anyone is pulling for this to fail (at least not me). The only people I could see wanting this not to work is AMC themselves.

I think the service is great and I've never really had any issues with it but I knew since the moment I signed up for it last September that it had verrrry little chances of surviving at the cost they were operating at.

Luckily, I live in LA and there are tons of AMC's around me (actually 3 within 10 minutes). So I will for sure be signing up for their A-List subscription which is actually not a bad deal at all.

Has anyone tried Sinemia? If so, what are your thoughts. I know you get less movies (only 2-3 per month), but the current summer sale pricing ($7 per month for 2 regular movie tickets, and $14 for 3 movie tickets that could include 3D, IMAX, etc) seems like it could still be a money saver. I was typically only seeing 3 movies a month with MoviePass anyway, so was thinking of signing up with Sinemia if things continue to go south for MoviePass in August. I've certainly gotten my money's worth in the past 10 months with MoviePass though so no complaints from me, except for that I wish they would have found a way to be profitable so it could continue.