Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1) | Page 386 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion (Part 1)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly wouldn't call golf a dying sport. I'm not a fan of it, but calling it dying is a bit ridiculous. It makes sense in large developments with large unused areas of land which would make it a good fit for this project. It's also pretty much a requirement for any high end (5 Diamond) hotel.
I'd call a sport with plummeting participation rates and TV viewership dying.

I'd call a sport with plummeting participation rates and TV viewership dying.
I don't really view it as a sport so much, more a recreational activity.

I did a quick search just to see where it's at (because I really have no idea). This is obviously a biased source, but they seem to back up their numbers with the source. Seems more like a fluctuation to me more than "plummeting". They also mention increasing numbers in younger/children participants. I've actually seen quite a few real work personal examples of that. Personally I hate golf, but I don't think it's going anywhere. It's going to remain a must for high end housing developments and resorts. Also things like Top Golf do seem to be really taking off and creating more interest in golf.

15 numbers that define the U.S. golf economy

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2015/04/02/why-golf-is-in-decline-in-america
Golf is back in the Olympics. Too bad no one plays it anymore - The Washington Post

Just a few examples. The point is, Uni isn't going to waste precious land on a golf course when that land can be used for much, much more profitable enterprises
Agreed.

Golf isn't a pick-up sport. Even to play 9-holes, that takes hours of your time. This is why Top Golf is so popular - it's quick and anyone can play, no matter skill level. Maybe Universal can work out a partnership with the Top Golf that's literally right next door.

I never said they should build a course. Partnering with the neighboring course is what I’m referencing. Would be silly not to.

https://www.economist.com/the-economist-explains/2015/04/02/why-golf-is-in-decline-in-america
Golf is back in the Olympics. Too bad no one plays it anymore - The Washington Post

Just a few examples. The point is, Uni isn't going to waste precious land on a golf course when that land can be used for much, much more profitable enterprises
They’re going to have huge plots of vacant land. I mean I don’t expect them to build a course but I think it would make a great use of open land until they can build something else.
Agreed.

Golf isn't a pick-up sport. Even to play 9-holes, that takes hours of your time. This is why Top Golf is so popular - it's quick and anyone can play, no matter skill level. Maybe Universal can work out a partnership with the Top Golf that's literally right next door.
Golf is a big social and business activity. I personally hate golf and don’t really participate in ANY sports and I’ve had several situations where I’ve had to play golf.

I never said they should build a course. Partnering with the neighboring course is what I’m referencing. Would be silly not to.

That’s what I had in mind or buying the resort as is.

Golf may be dying but do you know who play a ton of it? Middle aged business men at the conferences across the road at the OCCC. Add CityWalk into the equation and it’s a hit.

Last edited:
Golf is a big social and business activity. I personally hate golf and don’t really participate in ANY sports and I’ve had several situations where I’ve had to play golf.
It is, but the people coming to UOR aren't coming to play golf for the most part and even if they want to, there is a partnership set up already. It's just not widely advertised.

I mean, the WDW courses have resorted to Foot Golf (basically Soccer + Golf) to get more people to come to the courses. WDW also doesn't run their courses anymore as they have a partnership with Arnold Palmer for them to run the courses. I imagine UOR would want something similar if they built a course.

Just going to disagree with the TV numbers. With Tiger back playing well, numbers are back up. The Open Championship had its highest ratings since 2000.

Reactions: Andysol
Just going to disagree with the TV numbers. With Tiger back playing well, numbers are back up. The Open Championship had its highest ratings since 2000.
If Tiger can maintain his level of play, Golf will be a must watch TV sport again. Everyone loves a good comeback story. The issue is, in his 10 year absence from prominence, not a single golfer was able to be captivating enough to carry the sport.

Basically, once Tiger falls again, so does Golf from what I can see.

NSFW, but I was reminded of this hilarious clip while typing this:

If Tiger can maintain his level of play, Golf will be a must watch TV sport again. Everyone loves a good comeback story. The issue is, in his 10 year absence from prominence, not a single golfer was able to be captivating enough to carry the sport.

Basically, once Tiger falls again, so does Golf from what I can see.

NSFW, but I was reminded of this hilarious clip while typing this:

Yea. People don't care about Golf. They care about Tiger :lol:

Reactions: Magic-Man and Nick
It is, but the people coming to UOR aren't coming to play golf for the most part and even if they want to, there is a partnership set up already. It's just not widely advertised.

I mean, the WDW courses have resorted to Foot Golf (basically Soccer + Golf) to get more people to come to the courses. WDW also doesn't run their courses anymore as they have a partnership with Arnold Palmer for them to run the courses. I imagine UOR would want something similar if they built a course.
People visiting theme parks are a lot less likely to care about golf, however it is really big with the convention business. I think Universal definitely wants to expand in that area. I agree, I don't expect them to build a course and as you say there are other readily available options. I just don't think I would quite place it outside the reasonable realm of probability. Like I said they're going to be faced with having large areas of vacant land for a while and a golf course would certainly look nicer than open fields until something else comes along.

Reactions: Andysol
Funnily enough, I think the only reason I ever visited Orlando was because my dad played golf so much. He would go away several times a year with his pals and play. One year he goes to Orlando and after seeing the theme parks, he knew that me, my brother and sister would love it and went later that year and never stopped coming back.

I believe Comcast/NBC wants golf more than UOR wants golf.

That said, I do believe that golf will be part of the resort. Yes Uni already has an agreement with nearby courses, but that is different than Dad popping over for a round while rest of the fam is riding rides. My brother does that all the time at WDW. He never does at Uni. it's just not convenient.

I believe Comcast/NBC wants golf more than UOR wants golf.

That said, I do believe that golf will be part of the resort. Yes Uni already has an agreement with nearby courses, but that is different than Dad popping over for a round while rest of the fam is riding rides. My brother does that all the time at WDW. He never does at Uni. it's just not convenient.

There's not a course right next door to the current resort. There will be at the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.