Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure Construction Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
shweeeeet! @NJBrandon any chance you have the permit for Volcano bay's rockwork? I'd be interested in comparing the two

how long until @Disneyhead takes a stroll past Nassal's yard????

EDIT:

I believe @Alicia mentioned there would be a bunch of rockwork on the load/unload building and queue leading up to it as well

Volcano Bay's work from Nassal was $24.2 million.

Yea, I think some will be along the first few scenes and/or near the queue building entrance... But I bet the bulk of it will be for a giant cave that will kind of frame the entire back of the ride area, creating a towering backdrop as seen from Hogsmeade and the ride entrance paths.

EDIT: So, thinking of this three-dimensionally, as seen from Hogsmeade's ride entrance: We'll see trees in foreground, rockwork, trees, big castle-style arches, bridges and other structures, more trees, giant rockwork farther away looming in the distance, surrounded by more trees. It should be quite a sight.
Like Pandora but no floating mountains and instead of the alien forest we get trees and some Pottery looking eye candy.

Considering the size of the volcano (both in terms of quantity of rockwork, as well as difficulty of labor as a factor of cost), plus all the non-volcano rock work around the water park, I'm pretty excited with the potential here!
i agree. But most of the volcano is precast fiberglass chunks and not real masonry.

I saw it going up. Maybe the chunks were a fiber composite but it wasn't built rock by rock. Like Hardy products but precast and shaped. Understandable if you have ever been involved with masonry.

Volcano-Bay-Waterpark-Construction-Universal-Orlando-Resort-176.jpg
here you go guys. The brown is precast chunks. The grey is most likely shotcrete and hand finished to fill voids. Not rockwork. What he said. I was only referring to the cost statement.

View attachment 7473
here you go guys. The brown is precast chunks. The grey is most likely shotcrete and hand finished to fill voids. Not rockwork.

That is fabric backed rebar. We saw the same thing being used on Kong. They used to “chair” the rebar with wire mesh and Kong was the first time that I saw them use the new “chaired” fabric, which looked like a rugged synthetic burlap. You are correct that the rebar panels were pre bent probably from scans of the model. Disneyhead or someone actually took pictures of the hundreds of rebar panels staged at Nassals metalworks facility.

In case anyone was wondering this orange thing is a chair. The steel mesh or fabric is attached to the square part at the bottom.

81jmGzeMGeL._SX355_.jpg

Last edited:
:whiteflag:I'm with it. I worked with an old coot in the 80's that actually built ships for the navy WWII hulls made of shotcrete. Neat stuff but not rockwork either.
Oh, and precast/shaped whatever. Same thing

:whiteflag:I'm with it. I worked with an old coot in the 80's that actually built ships for the navy WWII hulls made of shotcrete. Neat stuff but not rockwork either.
Oh, and precast/shaped whatever. Same thing
The rebar is bent by a computer and assembled in 4'X4' squares. They then add a fabric backing. After the squares are applied to the structure, they shotcrete it in sections. Then a rock work artist sculpts the wet shotcrete to create the strata lines based on the type of rock being created. Potter is all granite.

And any boob on this site could buy a couple bags of morter mix and build a volcano in the backyard by reading the instructions on the bag.:thumbsup:

View attachment 7473
here you go guys. The brown is precast chunks. The grey is most likely shotcrete and hand finished to fill voids. Not rockwork. What he said. I was only referring to the cost statement.

The rebar is bent by a computer and assembled in 4'X4' squares. They then add a fabric backing. After the squares are applied to the structure, they shotcrete it in sections. Then a rock work artist sculpts the wet shotcrete to create the strata lines based on the type of rock being created. Potter is all granite.
now that is costly. The granite. I can't recall any real rockwork at VB

Status
Not open for further replies.