TRON Lightcycle Run | Page 14 | Inside Universal Forums

TRON Lightcycle Run

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Also, I think they should've had it as "Preparing The Digital Frontier" as opposed to "Now Programming", as it would've made sense when you consider Tron Legacy.

Either way, glad to see this going forward after-all.
The also could've gone with "The Game Has Changed"

Or it’s not getting an upgrade? I mean they’re going out of their way to say nothing is changing.
That was sort of what I was getting at. I've never 100% believed that a Tron retheme was/is going to happen, but the rumor persists to this day and people seem to have a remarkable amount of confidence in it.

Last edited:
The also could've gone with "The Game Has Changed"

That..is brilliant.

Castor-castor-from-tron-legacy-20417054-500-211.gif

Yeah, I was just going to say, they're taking three more years to build this. I would expect once the new showbuildings for Guardians and Ratatouille are more complete that things will shift to this project.

I really can't see it being cancelled. Disney simply has to have a major new attraction at Magic Kingdom for the 50th.

It would also go against the reason why they plan on doing a land-wide change in aesthetic and an overlay to the speedway to be TRON-related.

Universal building a new park is the saving grace. They will NEED to continue investment due to that imo.

I don't think they can afford to cut Tron. The elephant in the room is Space Mountain. They have to do something and soon. Will it run three more years without killing someone? Only time will tell but Space HAS to go down for a long refurb and having Tron next to it will solve a huge problem.
In fact I am surprised they have not fast tracked it but maybe they don't have anything in the tank for MK and the 50th so they have to play the odds and hold off SM refurb ........again!

I don't think they can afford to cut Tron. The elephant in the room is Space Mountain. They have to do something and soon. Will it run three more years without killing someone? Only time will tell but Space HAS to go down for a long refurb and having Tron next to it will solve a huge problem.
In fact I am surprised they have not fast tracked it but maybe they don't have anything in the tank for MK and the 50th so they have to play the odds and hold off SM refurb ........again!
Space will keep chugging along until TRON opens at least. You'd hope they would take it down sooner because they can't close SM immediately upon Tron opening either because of crowds and 50th anniversary. People will expect SM to be open during the 50th celebration.

As for MK & the 50th itself, outside of Tron, the only things i've consistently been hearing is new electrical parade and either enhancements to HEA for 50th or a completely different show. They're thinking they can save some money and just do enhancement to HEA as the show has been incredibly well received.

Reactions: HPFred and Alicia
My best guess is that Space Mountain goes down after the railroad/Autopia reopens before Tron opens. Disney can punch twice for their 50th with a new coaster and a “new Space Mountain”.

Reactions: HPFred
My best guess is that Space Mountain goes down after the railroad/Autopia reopens before Tron opens. Disney can punch twice for their 50th with a new coaster and a “new Space Mountain”.
Plans for a major refurb are drawn up, just awaiting financing. Of course, the 2010 refurb originally was supposed to be a track replacement project before the budget slashers got to it.

I very much doubt we see SM get a refurb until after the 50th though. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I have extremely little confidence in this happening for quite a few years still.

Plans for a major refurb are drawn up, just awaiting financing. Of course, the 2010 refurb originally was supposed to be a track replacement project before the budget slashers got to it.

I very much doubt we see SM get a refurb until after the 50th though. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I have extremely little confidence in this happening for quite a few years still.

I question how much longer this ride has left in its current state.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I question how much longer this ride has left in its current state.
I fear it will take something tragic to happen for them to take action and actually pull the trigger on giving this ride the refurb it needs/deserves. Much like the monorail system, it's still technically working, so they don't feel it's in immediate need of attention. At least the people handing out the checks don't.

Unless it's got drastically worse in the past couple of years, I don't think it's any worse than it's ever been.
For how old it is, I actually don't think it's in that terrible of shape, but it still desperately needs an upgrade. If they can do a big change ala Disneyland and make the vehicles like those as well, it would completely doubly the capacity of the ride while bringing it into the 21st century.

The thing is, with Tron moving in next door, any redesign they do has to take Tron into account so the rides aren't too similar.

For how old it is, I actually don't think it's in that terrible of shape, but it still desperately needs an upgrade. If they can do a big change ala Disneyland and make the vehicles like those as well, it would completely doubly the capacity of the ride while bringing it into the 21st century.

The thing is, with Tron moving in next door, any redesign they do has to take Tron into account so the rides aren't too similar.

I don’t think making it like TRON would really work.

The options I see are:

They can try to make it as close to original as possible which would work with the 50th.

They can try something completely original.

They can replicate Disneyland Paris.

They can keep it original with modifications to easily allow for seasonal overlays.

Or they commit suicide and attach an IP.

I don’t think making it like TRON would really work.

The options I see are:

They can try to make it as close to original as possible which would work with the 50th.

They can try something completely original.

They can replicate Disneyland Paris.

They can keep it original with modifications to easily allow for seasonal overlays.

Or they commit suicide and attach an IP.
You misunderstood what I said. I was saying they need to try to make sure the ride is differentiated from TRON once they update it, considering they're both indoor coasters and right next to each other.

Also, on your IP point, Space Mountain is pretty much an IP in it's own at this point, much like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc. There's no way they would ever change the name.

Reactions: HPFred and Scott W.
You misunderstood what I said. I was saying they need to try to make sure the ride is differentiated from TRON once they update it, considering they're both indoor coasters and right next to each other.

Also, on your IP point, Space Mountain is pretty much an IP in it's own at this point, much like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc. There's no way they would ever change the name.

I was agreeing with your point, just poorly worded on my end.

I think the difference between Space Mountain and the other rides you mentioned is that Space Mountain doesn't really have a clear cut story like the rest do. If this is something that's addressed, it could be a huge step forward for the coaster.

Man, I completely agree. To me, the coaster is just rough and unenjoyable. I rode Disneyland's version and it was great (again, just my impression). It feels faster, is smoother, and basically non-stop. Would love a company like Mack to get a chance to remake the coaster with a new layout. I know that it would cut capacity but I would even be in favor of having just one track in the entire building. They could use dual loading stations but have them combine before the lift hill.

Man, I completely agree. To me, the coaster is just rough and unenjoyable. I rode Disneyland's version and it was great (again, just my impression). It feels faster, is smoother, and basically non-stop. Would love a company like Mack to get a chance to remake the coaster with a new layout. I know that it would cut capacity but I would even be in favor of having just one track in the entire building. They could use dual loading stations but have them combine before the lift hill.

That’s an interesting idea to use Mack. I wonder if it could work as a spinner.