Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

Interestingly, it seems as if one of the monorail cabins (apart of the Incredibles themed train) may of had an audio glitch..

The part that’s a little concerning about that is that the “please stand clear of the doors” audio is completely seperate and actually part of the door mechanism. The audio only plays when the doors are attempting to close. In other words it’s not an audio glitch, it’s a door glitch.

They still run a "bin loop" for those on board audio recordings and they get stuck all the time. Why they haven't switched over to a digital audio files being run by the trains computer systems is strange to me at this point.

They still run a "bin loop" for those on board audio recordings and they get stuck all the time. Why they haven't switched over to a digital audio files being run by the trains computer systems is strange to me at this point.
All of the audio has been digital since at least 2000, I think they switched late 90’s. Also like I said above the door announcement and chime are not part of the audio system.

Just musing, but I think the Skyliner opens next Summer and then they'll crow about it at D23 and then say something like "..now that we've built our skyliner system, we want to announce an enhancement to an iconic Disney transportation system" etc, etc, etc.

New trains will be announced is what I think will happen. There's pretty solid rumor about it and it would make a great follow up to the Skyliner as far as infrastructure improvements, it'd go over with fans great, and it'd be one more thing that would be ready for the 50th. Not to mention it's NEEDED.

I'm probably crazy to believe they'll actually do it, but i'm just going based on current rumor and how much sense it would make fiscally. They financed the Gondolas by having all four hotels split the costs. Well, there's three hotels on the monorail line, plus all three have DVC resorts within them. That's potentially 3 resorts and 3 DVCs (yes, there is a difference) that can come together to finance new monorails. Seems do-able to me if they were to go this route again of having multiple hotels chip in.

Just musing, but I think the Skyliner opens next Summer and then they'll crow about it at D23 and then say something like "..now that we've built our skyliner system, we want to announce an enhancement to an iconic Disney transportation system" etc, etc, etc.

New trains will be announced is what I think will happen. There's pretty solid rumor about it and it would make a great follow up to the Skyliner as far as infrastructure improvements, it'd go over with fans great, and it'd be one more thing that would be ready for the 50th.

I'm probably crazy to believe they'll actually do it, but i'm just going based on current rumor and how much sense it would make fiscally. They financed the Gondolas by having all four hotels split the costs. Well, there's three hotels on the monorail line, plus all three have DVC resorts within them. That's potentially 3 resorts and 3 DVCs (yes, there is a difference) that can come together to finance new monorails. Seems do-able to me if they were to go this route again of having multiple hotels chip in.
I'm wondering if they could have 12 designed, built and delivered by 2021. The 200 almost fits the beam and Contemporary openings so minimal design work but Bombardier is swamped with work for public transit systems. The dozen or so trains WDW needs is small fish in their universe and probably would not be a priority for them.
My understanding is there is a proposal to purchase but no contract has been issued as of this date. I think the 10 year dearth of investment is going to rise up and bite them on this one.

I think Disney will try to "save" some money by allowing Bombardier or whoever builds their train to feature the manufacturer's brand name. Ex) Walt Disney World Monorail System presented by Bombardier.

I think Disney will try to "save" some money by allowing Bombardier or whoever builds their train to feature the manufacturer's brand name. Ex) Walt Disney World Monorail System presented by Bombardier.
I don't know is there really a benefit in doing that? I guess maybe someone will ride the monorail and say "wow that was a great monorail, I'm going to go buy a Ski Doo now". It also could work against them. Many people don't look at theme parks as a serious thing. Bombardier has other more serious and more advanced systems out there, however a WDW system would instantly become the most known system they have if they pushed their branding. I kind of see it as a neutral thing and I can't imagine that would give Disney much bargaining power. Now a smaller company trying to get into the monorail/transit business maybe it could make more sense.

I don't know is there really a benefit in doing that? I guess maybe someone will ride the monorail and say "wow that was a great monorail, I'm going to go buy a Ski Doo now". It also could work against them. Many people don't look at theme parks as a serious thing. Bombardier has other more serious and more advanced systems out there, however a WDW system would instantly become the most known system they have if they pushed their branding. I kind of see it as a neutral thing and I can't imagine that would give Disney much bargaining power. Now a smaller company trying to get into the monorail/transit business maybe it could make more sense.
Disneyland-Alweg monorail. :) So the builders name on it wouldn't be new

Disneyland-Alweg monorail. :) So the builders name on it wouldn't be new
Yeah exactly, Disneyland is often blamed for Alweg not having too much luck getting monorails built in the US. While it became a well known name it was also associated with amusement parks to many people.

Ironically the Disneyland monorails weren’t even built by Alweg.

Yeah exactly, Disneyland is often blamed for Alweg not having too much luck getting monorails built in the US. While it became a well known name it was also associated with amusement parks to many people.

Ironically the Disneyland monorails weren’t even built by Alweg.
Yeah, but the designs were heavily influenced by Alweg’s Monorail.

Monorails are doing pretty well internationally tho. In fact, Brazil is getting there own as we type.

Plus what do they sell direct to consumers? You’re more likely to get the monorail sponsored by Reynolds Aluminium Foil.

I don't think we're getting new trains.
WDW's trains are 10 years past their lifespan.

I know there's been rumors over the years and we've never gotten anything, but this feels different to me. Too many people with clout saying that this is happening for me to ignore. If the trains weren't quite LITERALLY falling apart, I might be with you, but for once, I actually have hope for the monorail's future.

Poo poo all you want, I'm not letting you take that hope away! :lol: :tease: :thumbsup:

I know there's been rumors over the years and we've never gotten anything, but this feels different to me. Too many people with clout saying that this is happening for me to ignore. If the trains weren't quite LITERALLY falling apart, I might be with you, but for once, I actually have hope for the monorail's future.

Poo poo all you want, I'm not letting you take that hope away! :lol: :tease: :thumbsup:
Unless the FOX deal squashes things new trains are coming.

I don't think we're getting new trains.

This is from articos at magic in response to the question of "Was this still happening".

"I can’t answer this. I can say “was” is not accurate, and nothing ever moves as quickly as people want."

I believe he is in a position to know if it is still grinding through the TWDC/TDO process so maybe in my lifetime but I really can't see them by the 50th.

He's a dreamcrusher. So sad.