CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My line of thought is that anybody can go to the cinema in any town at any time. Why would you want to do something on your vacation that you can do so easily at home?

Great point! But remember a lot of times vacations allow time to do things you can’t normally do, including seeing movies. I have a family friend who sees one movie at DS every time they go to WDW. I know Nicks wife hit the theater a lot while she was pregnant and we were at HHN.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Can you elaborate on this? I've never been inside it. What aspects of it make it feel so noticeably dated?

Back in the late 90s/early 00s, it was *THE* place to see a movie. My high school aged niece and her friends would make the hour drive from DeLand to see a movie there. Problem is, it hasn't been updated since. Things that are now standard around town--reserved seats, recliners, decent "real" food menu--are missing. Plus it hasn't been painted since the 90s, and still features banners of Redford, Newman, other actors Boomers think of as Hollywood stars who aren't exactly relevant anymore. Whole place has kind of a Great Movie Ride vibe, a tribute to the movies from cinephiles in 1994.

I hope the change isn't too soon, was planning on taking advantage of A-List during HHN season.

My line of thought is that anybody can go to the cinema in any town at any time. Why would you want to do something on your vacation that you can do so easily at home?
I LOVE to visit the cinema when I'm in the US on vacation. First of all it's relaxing and I can't run around in theme parks for 10 weeks, I need to sit down sometimes. But the most important thing is here in the Netherlands movies are subtitled. I have the strange compulsion to reed the (often terrible) Dutch translations. It's tiring and takes me out of the movie experience. Once in Antwerp (Belgium) I watched LotR with Dutch and France subtitles (at the same time on the bottom of the screen) and I needed to reed them both, and I don't even read France! No, for me the cinema visit is an integral part of my vacation in the US.

I personally cannot understand why anyone would want to go to a theater anymore with the massive flat screens that are available for homes. Hearing people eat, talk, fart and cough just leaves me cold.
This is also why I'm more inclined to go to the movies on vacation. My home theater set-up is good enough I don't like leaving it.

I personally cannot understand why anyone would want to go to a theater anymore with the massive flat screens that are available for homes. Hearing people eat, talk, fart and cough just leaves me cold.
I have a love/hate relationship with going to the theater. It's a good way to get out of the house and keep yourself occupied for a little bit, but sometimes it's too damn frustrating. I've seen 40 or so movies in theaters this year, and close to a quarter of them had bad audience members who didn't STFU. Whenever I ask people politely to stop talking, they'll act like I'm the Jerky McJerkface and continue talking. I've had to get refunds several times in the past year because of loud moviegoers. The theater should be the optimal place to see a movie, but people can ruin the experience way too easily. I really wish Alamo Drafthouse would expand to more states.

AMC building has a bigger footprint than Aventura .... watch that space! ... realise will not be another hotel

... oops forgot about NBC and Voodoo in that footprint

AMC building has a bigger footprint than Aventura .... watch that space! ... realise will not be another hotel

... oops forgot about NBC and Voodoo in that footprint
If you think about it, there could could definitely be a hotel that is in that spot and connects over to where Bubba Gump currently resides. Of course, I don't think that happens. I don't think UOR has any interest in bringing hotels into CityWalk.

Reactions: Coasted
If you think about it, there could could definitely be a hotel that is in that spot and connects over to where Bubba Gump currently resides. Of course, I don't think that happens. I don't think UOR has any interest in bringing hotels into CityWalk.

Rooftop endless pool would be nice but parking and having CityWalk open till 2am every day would be a nightmare. Given the location, it would probably need to have Express Pass and I don’t think the parks would be able to cope with another on site hotel.

This is a tough one. I think a hotel is unlikely for the above mentioned reason. Noise. Multiple dining options would water down what exists.... Nightclubs...they have 3? Hmmm. Probably upgrading the theaters for local traffic is the way to go.

Reactions: Coasted
Good movies are designed to be an audience experience (notice I said good movies). There's nothing like a great comedy with a laughing audience, a thriller with a gasping audience, or an action film where you can almost feel everyone's heartbeat accelerating. I have what I would consider a first-class set up (4k 3D 55' TV, Dolby 7.1, and just about every format known to man - Blu-ray, DVD, laserdisc///) and would never think of seeing certain movies anywhere but a bug screen nowdays.

Good movies are designed to be an audience experience (notice I said good movies). There's nothing like a great comedy with a laughing audience, a thriller with a gasping audience, or an action film where you can almost feel everyone's heartbeat accelerating. I have what I would consider a first-class set up (4k 3D 55' TV, Dolby 7.1, and just about every format known to man - Blu-ray, DVD, laserdisc///) and would never think of seeing certain movies anywhere but a bug screen nowdays.
I find that the movie watching experience at home is way less immersive and much harder to catch nuances in filmmaking than the theater. There are just way too many distractions at home.

Is the one at Artegon (which really all that's left now is Bass Pro and movie theater) closing?

Although now that Aventura is open it's about time for a new round of UO announcements.

Edit: property appraiser site shows Bass Pro owns the land its on, and the Theater is not part of the main Artegon land anymore (but not directly owned by Cinemark)

See ArcGIS Web Application

Last edited:
Is anything going to happen to the Cinemark Artegon? I know it's off property vs on property (and thus paying for parking, going through security, etc...) but it seems weird to have two of the same theater so close to each other.