Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

It comes from the phrase "Heroin Monkey on your back". Also known as a "Money Pit".

I would expect an addition and some operational changes sooner rather than later.

An addition I can see. I'll be amazed if operational changes happen. They desperately, desperately want TapuTapu to work, all evidence to the contrary be damned.
They'd get a better bang for their buck if they developed a show with any quality.

I'm not debating that the show doesn't justify its high operating cost. I'm saying 1) they should've put a worthwhile show in that venue years ago and 2) one of the most successful theme park resorts in the world should not be making cuts to save management skins after they made boneheaded projections.

This. I saw Sindbad once. I would have never gone into it again. But the fact that UOR management is so bush league that they can't run shows in their most popular park due to their own mistakes is embarrassing

Official Statement from Universal:

"The ‘Eighth Voyage of Sindbad’ at Universal’s Islands of Adventure will run its last shows on Saturday, September 15. As we continue to evolve our entertainment offerings, we will share updates along the way.”

I'll actually be at the resort for something happening but I don't think this is enough to encourage me to watch the show. It could be a good chance for a forum meet up though, silver linings and all that.

I’m still betting Waterworld ends up in Park 3

Waterworld is exhibit A in the case of bad IP =/= bad attraction.

"The ‘Eighth Voyage of Sindbad’ at Universal’s Islands of Adventure will run its last shows on Saturday, September 15. As we continue to evolve our entertainment offerings, we will share updates along the way.”
Translation: yea this theater sitting empty

Yup. Not even a peep on the blog, twitter, or media site too. Just gonna close it and pretend it never existed like the Toon Lagoon theater

So I'm gonna make the last showings by a day...just like last year for T2. Weird.

They'd get a better bang for their buck if they developed a show with any quality.

I'm not debating that the show doesn't justify its high operating cost. I'm saying 1) they should've put a worthwhile show in that venue years ago and 2) one of the most successful theme park resorts in the world should not be making cuts to save management skins after they made boneheaded projections.

This. I saw Sindbad once. I would have never gone into it again. But the fact that UOR management is so bush league that they can't run shows in their most popular park due to their own mistakes is embarrassing
That's why they should stop developing their own shows.

Contract AoV to be a permanent show in Fear Factor. Purchase the performance rights for the SpongeBob musical (with the same design from Broadway) for Toon Lagoon. They'll be a little more expensive (because your paying higher quality talent), but you'll be putting on a better show.

As long as it doesn't sit virtually unused for a decade.
How does a 1/2 decade sound?

Contract AoV to be a permanent show in Fear Factor. Purchase the performance rights for the SpongeBob musical (with the same design from Broadway) for Toon Lagoon. They'll be a little more expensive (because your paying higher quality talent), but you'll be putting on a better show.

They own WICKED! A proven crowd pleaser! Stick a condensed version in Toon Lagoon theater and you have a proven winner! I feel like I’m taking crazy pills

The Spongebob show is so good, too...

But alas, budgets (and egos) prevent those sort of decisions from happening.

Spongebob is going on tour, so I doubt they'd easily be able to nab the rights for it for another few years. Yes, licensing rights are available but that's for the full 2 1/2 hr musical. An abridged version of the Broadway production is an entire different matter.

They own WICKED! A proven crowd pleaser! Stick a condensed version in Toon Lagoon theater and you have a proven winner! I feel like I’m taking crazy pills
Wicked should be going into the T2 theater with a lot of the same projection effects as the Dreamwork's theater...

Just imagine Defying Gravity where the entire theater looks like it's soaring...

Then it gets set back on the ground for a disappointing second act about friendship.

How does a 1/2 decade sound?

5 years is just the start.

I'm still in the camp that WICKED could have a permanent home in CityWalk 2.0 and make a considerable amount of money too.

And some of you know for a fact that this is ALL because of Volcano Bay and not some other reason?

I really like clarity on stuff like this and yet it all seems a blurry reason for dinosaurs being postponed and old dusty show being closed.

Which one of you has the clearest understanding of this situation? And if VB has underperformed then what are the underperformance numbers floating out there?

It doesn’t help clarity when people are tossing in Disney behavior into the mix of info.

And some of you know for a fact that this is ALL because of Volcano Bay and not some other reason?

I really like clarity on stuff like this and yet it all seems a blurry reason for dinosaurs being postponed and old dusty show being closed.

Which one of you has the clearest understanding of this situation? And if VB has underperformed then what are the underperformance numbers floating out there?

It doesn’t help clarity when people are tossing in Disney behavior into the mix of info.

Volcano Bay probably didn't underpeform attendance wise, but the bad too early opening (and scheduling) and recovery from that probably cost way more than they anticipated. Fast and Furious ride was a dumb as bricks decision, though. (I think they were tied into having to reuse the kong ride system even though it makes no sense.)

Other things it could potentially be (but not exhaustive): Sky acquisition, or just ultra full throttle on the new south complex and park where they drive to open it a lot sooner than people have been speculating.

Personally I think it's the last one. But yeah this is all based on speculation and rumors. Will fear factor still return after HHN or is this show going a bellwether of that not returning either.

Last edited: