The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 66 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Official Statement from Universal:

"The ‘Eighth Voyage of Sindbad’ at Universal’s Islands of Adventure will run its last shows on Saturday, September 15. As we continue to evolve our entertainment offerings, we will share updates along the way.”
Where was the statement issued? There's still nothing on the attraction page like they did with Terminator. Universal Orlando

VB struggled for sure. I have a long list but don't want to berate endlessly. Example; Young kid finally brings my beer to my "premium" seating location. I said can I get another please ? He says sir, you can only have one at a time. I said cool.....But this one took you 45 minutes to get so I don't foresee a problem....

This is one of those oddities...the stage is amazing to look at, but the show copied a lot of ideas from the Indy stunt show, and also was just way too campy.

Yes there are other attractions with Sinbad/Sindbad....Tokyo DisneySea has a very good dark ride that puts Universal's attempt at a Sindbad show to shame.

PF is also a shell of its former self...the original version was better than the one we have now, and though I haven't been to Mythos for a while, I've heard the service has gone downhill, which is sad as it was my favorite theme park restaurant for years and a unique experience with decent prices...I don't want to see it be replaced.

I am interested to see what happens next...more HP? Zelda? something else? nothing?

Reactions: therock
I believe the theoretical capacities quoted by ProSlide were off on some of the new slides as well. Tapu issues aside, there's not enough for everyone to do, even if the little buggers worked as intended.
You know, I never put two and two together and realized you're Alicia Stella until now.
Attractions Magazine reached out and got an official statement from Universal.

They aren't even bothering with a blog post. Can you say "oof"?
Oof.

Yeah, nothing of value was really lost here. I'd be interested to know if they actually do anything with it; I was gonna say "fat chance", but I'm willing to put forth the benefit of the doubt and say "you never know" instead.

That's why they should stop developing their own shows.

Contract AoV to be a permanent show in Fear Factor. Purchase the performance rights for the SpongeBob musical (with the same design from Broadway) for Toon Lagoon. They'll be a little more expensive (because your paying higher quality talent), but you'll be putting on a better show.

I've always wondered about how popular Broadway type shows would be as a feature in a theme park. Those shows are usually 2 plus hours with an intermission. Would people be willing to give up that much ride time to watch a show? I could imagine a scenario where it would be cheaper to see the show after paying the park admission fee than paying to see it in a theater, so maybe that's the draw.

I've always wondered about how popular Broadway type shows would be as a feature in a theme park. Those shows are usually 2 plus hours with an intermission. Would people be willing to give up that much ride time to watch a show? I could imagine a scenario where it would be cheaper to see the show after paying the park admission fee than paying to see it in a theater, so maybe that's the draw.

They usually do 45 minute condensed versions.

It would be an abridged version. Think something along the lines of Finding Nemo or Festival of the Lion King (or going to Hunch). Both, really, work as "Broadway-caliber shows," in that they're artistic, unique, and musically captivating.

Adapting SpongeBob as a theme park show actually works remarkable well.

Preshow - "Poor Pirates"
"Bikini Bottom Day" opening
Volcano announcement and news becomes a five minute discussion.
"BFF"
Squidward gets to organize the music festival. SpongeBob decides to save the day.
"Hero is My Middle Name"
"Bikini Bottom Boogie" with the Electric Skates (ideally, do something like the old Doug Live show where guests play the band)
"Chop to the Top"
Saving the day
"Best Day Ever" Finale

Reactions: tankart150
It would be an abridged version. Think something along the lines of Finding Nemo or Festival of the Lion King (or going to Hunch). Both, really, work as "Broadway-caliber shows," in that they're artistic, unique, and musically captivating.

Adapting SpongeBob as a theme park show actually works remarkable well.

Preshow - "Poor Pirates"
"Bikini Bottom Day" opening
Volcano announcement and news becomes a five minute discussion.
"BFF"
Squidward gets to organize the music festival. SpongeBob decides to save the day.
"Hero is My Middle Name"
"Bikini Bottom Boogie" with the Electric Skates (ideally, do something like the old Doug Live show where guests play the band)
"Chop to the Top"
Saving the day
"Best Day Ever" Finale

Cutting the subplots does help tremendously (Plankton goes easily), but you run into two problems with this format. One, this essentially reduces the story to an external-only conflict: stop the volcano and save Bikini Bottom. None of the characters experience any internal conflict (granted it's a theme park show, but, that's what Broadway presentation does well). Hero is my Middle Name doesn't work without the anti-science/mammal material to drive a wedge between Sandy and helping. The Boogie subplot doesn't go anywhere without Squidward's self-doubt and his triumphant (and delightful) I'm Not a Loser number. And really, the benefit concert doesn't hang together without the broader story...

It's all moot anyway - as someone up there pointed out, the show's going on tour. There's definitely a version of it that could work, but I'm not sure this is it.

Cutting the subplots does help tremendously (Plankton goes easily), but you run into two problems with this format. One, this essentially reduces the story to an external-only conflict: stop the volcano and save Bikini Bottom. None of the characters experience any internal conflict (granted it's a theme park show, but, that's what Broadway presentation does well). Hero is my Middle Name doesn't work without the anti-science/mammal material to drive a wedge between Sandy and helping. The Boogie subplot doesn't go anywhere without Squidward's self-doubt and his triumphant (and delightful) I'm Not a Loser number. And really, the benefit concert doesn't hang together without the broader story...

It's all moot anyway - as someone up there pointed out, the show's going on tour. There's definitely a version of it that could work, but I'm not sure this is it.
Oh, cutting "Just a Simple Sponge" and "I Am Not a Loser" hurt.

But kill your darlings, as they say.

giphy.gif

I'm not. When you're a powerful decision maker, it's really, really hard to admit you were wrong.

I'm more surprised that Comcast/Universal brass hasn't made any changes to the resort leadership.
Yup.

Take a look at the situation Disney put themselves in with James Gunn because Alan Horn wanted to make a “strong” (but reactive) statement, for example.

Broadway level shows have an average ticket price of well over $100. I wish that kind of value were included is a park ticket lol.