Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show | Page 136 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would love to know where the button is located to start this show. Is it in a dingy room backstage or somewhere in CP? Same goes for Disney shows... who gets to push that button/click that icon?
I believe Mike A has a clicker in his pocket. Press twice to start it.........

So what is it supposed to be? Is this based off something that actually exists, or just a made up bit of theming? Someone help me understand the industrial world.
It fits in with it's surroundings, which is really all it needs to do. For something like this being so big, as long as it isn't breaking immersion, then it's working. There's only so much you can do.

It fits in with it's surroundings, which is really all it needs to do. For something like this being so big, as long as it isn't breaking immersion, then it's working. There's only so much you can do.

I honestly refuse to give them a pass... Universal does great stuff, when they want to... Stupid theming is not great stuff. Am I glad they did something? Sure, but that's a terrible standard or precedent to set. I honestly just want them to commit fully... always... They obviously can and have done better then this...

I honestly refuse to give them a pass... Universal does great stuff, when they want to... Stupid theming is not great stuff. Am I glad they did something? Sure, but that's a terrible standard or precedent to set. I honestly just want them to commit fully... always... They obviously can and have done better then this...
I'm not giving them a pass.

Disney does the same type of things when it comes to theming large objects in plain sight. Like I said, there's only so much you can do to theme something huge that's right in front of people's face.

Reactions: RevFreako
Saw the show for the first time tonight. Loved it all and am looking forward to seeing it again. A couple of observations in addition to all of the pros and cons I've seen already posted here:
  • The projectors were in AV mute or otherwise disabled for the first 40 seconds or so. No Universal logo or any of Jurassic until the stomping. Then, the projectors came on one by one, and it was very awkward. That was a downer as this is the only time I'll see the show this trip.
  • My goodness do they have speakers packed in that space. Volume was loud, but not overwhelming. Excellent.
  • The lasers seemed to be used in more segments than I had noticed on any of the videos I had seen.
  • Trolls was my favorite; just so much use of all of the effects.
On a side note, I would love a technical tour of the park. Similar to the VIP experience they sell, but instead of skipping lines and occassionaly peeking at control rooms, a real in the weeds tour of the technical aspects of attractions and how things like this night show work would be incredible. I don't think it'll happen, but I can dream.
6jqYJRX.jpg

Saw the show for the first time tonight. Loved it all and am looking forward to seeing it again. A couple of observations in addition to all of the pros and cons I've seen already posted here:
  • The projectors were in AV mute or otherwise disabled for the first 40 seconds or so. No Universal logo or any of Jurassic until the stomping. Then, the projectors came on one by one, and it was very awkward. That was a downer as this is the only time I'll see the show this trip.
  • My goodness do they have speakers packed in that space. Volume was loud, but not overwhelming. Excellent.
  • The lasers seemed to be used in more segments than I had noticed on any of the videos I had seen.
On a side note, I would love a technical tour of the park. Similar to the VIP experience they sell, but instead of skipping lines and occassionaly peeking at control rooms, a real in the weeds tour of the technical aspects of attractions and how things like this night show work would be incredible. I don't think it'll happen, but I can dream.
6jqYJRX.jpg
You're curious about how the night shows run? If it's like the previous shows, it's a "start" button in a server room. The whole show is automated.

6jqYJRX.jpg

I saw it last week as well. It was really good- much better. Even my wife liked it. She Said it finally brought some “emotion and nostalgia” to UOR, something she felt was lacking for her.

Like you, trolls seemed to be everyone’s favorite. Instant dancing and the only thing anyone clapped after. After that, people clapped for every segment. Trolls got the train started.

Anyone who doesn’t think trolls would do gangbusters at the park is crazy.

The VIP tour guides will take you behind the scenes of some attractions, through controls rooms and maintenance bays if you ask. They also will point out a lot of theming and story telling that you would otherwise miss or not know about.

You're curious about how the night shows run? If it's like the previous shows, it's a "start" button in a server room. The whole show is automated.
Yup. All the magic happens from that boathouse with the projector on top of it.
-------------
The more I watch it, the more I realize how cheap the fireworks are and, while I know Universal has limitations, it's still a tad disappointing. The whole show is mostly just bursts - very cheap fireworks that can be bought by anyone for your backyard July 4th demonstration. The Trolls segment of the show stands out because it's a bunch of colorful fireworks with JT singing.

But that's all it is. There's really no rhyme or reason to the fireworks that shoot off. No real synchronization. They seem to just have the fireworks in the show so that people go "oooh" and shoot 'em off whenever they feel like it.

I know Cinematic Celebration is a projection show more than anything, but it does deserve to be looked at from all angles. I'm personally in the camp that it's not even all that good of a projection show, but at least it's better than Rivers of Light!

-------------
The more I watch it, the more I realize how cheap the fireworks are and, while I know Universal has limitations, it's still a tad disappointing. The whole show is mostly just bursts - very cheap fireworks that can be bought by anyone for your backyard July 4th demonstration. The Trolls segment of the show stands out because it's a bunch of colorful fireworks with JT singing.

But that's all it is. There's really no rhyme or reason to the fireworks that shoot off. No real synchronization. They seem to just have the fireworks in the show so that people go "oooh" and shoot 'em off whenever they feel like it.

I know Cinematic Celebration is a projection show more than anything, but it does deserve to be looked at from all angles. I'm personally in the camp that it's not even all that good of a projection show, but at least it's better than Rivers of Light!
I thought the control room is the same one from CineSpec, the one they built that extends from Richter’s.

We share the dream. Rip the curtain back for those that wish it. I would pay a day ticket worth to do a 3 hour tour.

Reactions: shawn2 and Doug A.
-------------

What? Seriously? The firework to music synchronization is one of the things the show does best. Every “yeah” JT sings is synced up with a burst.

-------------

The pyro quality is definitely questionable... But, as much as we all know Rivers of Light has MANY issues, and is not very successful as an entertaining night spectacle, I cannot fault Disney for their creativity and innovation. They tried something new, and it doesn't work as well as they hoped.

But there isn't anything overly creative or innovative about Cinematic Celebration. It's exactly what you'd expect, a clip show on water screens with some pyro and lighting.

Reactions: Nick