Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

EDIT: Let me comment, that I was told of this back in the beginning of the Summer...and man do I hate this maze because of it.

I kinda love that Murdy didn't bite the bullet himself and announce it over his own Twitter; he had to use someone else. It's such a carny move. I love it.

I kinda love that Murdy didn't bite the bullet himself and announce it over his own Twitter; he had to use someone else. It's such a carny move. I love it.

Keep in mind, that was probably unintentional to be put out by CI. And that, Murdy will talk about the maze and fluff it up in a way that can appeal to a few people..

that said. This is one of the most moronic and idiotic decisions that anyone has made for the HHN Hollywood team. Blumhouse has a great library; and these two IP's are at the bottom of the barrel.

I'll go on further once it's official; but this was what I meant to Orlando lucking out, because at-least they are doing something that makes more sense.

Keep in mind, that was probably unintentional to be put out by CI. And that, Murdy will talk about the maze and fluff it up in a way that can appeal to a few people..

that said. This is one of the most moronic and idiotic decisions that anyone has made for the HHN Hollywood team. Blumhouse has a great library; and these two IP's are at the bottom of the barrel.

I'll go on further once it's official; but this was what I meant to Orlando lucking out, because at-least they are doing something that makes more sense.

Well, I'm still on record as thinking Unfriended at least tried to do something interesting with the "desktop filming" gimmick, though I have to admit it's kind of weird trying to think of it working as a maze.

Allow me to point something out..

Dark Web, is not mentioned in any capacity in that DB article.

Fair point! And it isn't strictly controlled by Universal, as BH Tilt released. However - I'll say some of the casting indicates to me they're either using elements from the film or veering wildly into "original" territory in adapting Unfriended 1.

Fair point! And it isn't strictly controlled by Universal, as BH Tilt released. However - I'll say some of the casting indicates to me they're either using elements from the film or veering wildly into "original" territory in adapting Unfriended 1.

Good to hear they might be doing something original with the maze. Those movies by themselves might not lend themselves well for a maze, but doing an original might just be the ticket.

I hope and I pray that you are right into veering into originality, because man this is..unfortunate.

I mean it was only a matter of time that they needed a "rock bottom" maze (the last one being This is the End). But that being said, weren't we all talking about one of the reasons why we couldn't lots of the better horror Blumhouse IPs at the event was because the copyrights are super tough? I'm guessing even with Blumhouse we're hitting a "wall" in how much we can work with and not repeat stuff.

I mean it was only a matter of time that they needed a "rock bottom" maze (the last one being This is the End). But that being said, weren't we all talking about one of the reasons why we couldn't lots of the better horror Blumhouse IPs at the event was because the copyrights are super tough? I'm guessing even with Blumhouse we're hitting a "wall" in how much we can work with and not repeat stuff.

I mean the truth is, other than Ouija, there aren't a lot of Universal-controlled, haunt-ready Blumhouse IPs. The other big ones are Purge, Sinister, Insidious, and Happy Death Day.

Last edited:
I mean the truth is, under than Ouija, there aren't a lot of Universal-controlled, haunt-ready Blumhouse IPs. The other big ones are Purge, Sinister, Insidious, and Happy Death Day.

Oh I know those, it's just I remember way back when we heard this was coming after all that a lot of us were listing IPs that we wanted to see (Split, Ouija, The Green Inferno, The Visit, Amityville, Lords of Salem, etc..), but basically their rights were either hard to obtain or some were too niche for HHN (Hush, Creep, Belko Experiment). Regardless I still am interested to see how this gets pulled off.

Oh I know those, it's just I remember way back when we heard this was coming after all that a lot of us were listing IPs that we wanted to see (Split, Ouija, The Green Inferno, The Visit, Amityville, Lords of Salem, etc..), but basically their rights were either hard to obtain or some were too niche for HHN (Hush, Creep, Belko Experiment). Regardless I still am interested to see how this gets pulled off.

I was personally hoping for Lords of Salem and Amityville..

Especially since Orlando announced theirs right now, it honestly feels like Murdy is letting other outlets soften the blow with the return of HoB this year. It was definitely the right choice to have UCM be the final maze announcement.

UPDATE: Nvmd! he just uploaded the announcement.