Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs | Page 127 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Misc Refurbs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I see, I guess I'm thinking further ahead when they potentially move a lot of the office and back office staff to the new site and theres less strain on those garages.

For clarity, there is a huge ground parking lot between diagon and this new garage addition/extension. Yellow new garage. Red is Diagon.

ZHOIW7u.jpg

So is the general thinking here that the new parking structure will replace the flat car park we see in the image? Because thats a huge chunk of space, which happens to sit right behind Diagon Alley. Add to the this the new office and warehouse buildings being built on Site B and its easy to presume that they are hoping to add significant space to their existing parks.
So what you're getting at is with the garage free up the parking space to expand the park. Here's my thought, if there wasn't at least some remote idea that they might want to expand something into that area at some point they would've built the garage closer.

So what you're getting at is with the garage free up the parking space to expand the park. Here's my thought, if there wasn't at least some remote idea that they might want to expand something into that area at some point they would've built the garage closer.

No. Parking was needed. Even with the new garage they still need the surface lot. FFL, Soundstages, and the MIB plot are still options for expansion before moving further.

No. Parking was needed. Even with the new garage they still need the surface lot. FFL, Soundstages, and the MIB plot are still options for expansion before moving further.
I think you missed my point. When they built the garage they could've built it right at the HR/entrance area. Instead they built it all the way at the edge of the property line and everyone who parks there then has to walk across the lot. It would've been far more convenient for them to build it closer. It's clear they did this to allow for any future plans. I'm not saying they're going to expand the park they could use it for more offices, more garages, whatever. If they do at some point decide for whatever reason to expand the park there they could of course easily move some facilities to the new site to lessen the strain on the parking.

They also could have built the garage at the back of the parking lot because putting it right in front of HR would have blocked access to HR and Gate 3(?) during the construction. There’s also, probably, fewer underground infrastructure further away from the park that would have to get rerouted during construction. Plus, most of the surface spots that would be unavailable during construction of a close garage are... let’s see... handicapped and management parking.

HHN cast has to park in CityWalk because employee parking is so limited. This decision has nothing to do with expansion.

Reactions: acquaz
They also could have built the garage at the back of the parking lot because putting it right in front of HR would have blocked access to HR and Gate 3(?) during the construction. There’s also, probably, fewer underground infrastructure further away from the park that would have to get rerouted during construction. Plus, most of the surface spots that would be unavailable during construction of a close garage are... let’s see... handicapped and management parking.

HHN cast has to park in CityWalk because employee parking is so limited. This decision has nothing to do with expansion.
This!

They keep hiring people and there’s nowhere to put them. All of the ground parking AND the garage is regularly at capacity by 11:30. This is not rumor or hearsay, but fact based on daily operation.

Getting access to park back there and still get in for work is exclusive only to Part-time and above for a reason. They don’t want all of the seasonal taking up spots that are needed by part-timers and full-timers.

^As I understand it, that section of the parking lot adjacent to the HR building will not support a parking garage. I believe the ground would open up underneath the weight of 4 stories of vehicles and swallow it all together.
All of that seems really doubtful. It just seems like a common sense decision to put the garage at the edge to allow for the most flexibility of the resort to grow and or change.

^20 years ago, the section of parking lot closest to the HR building was a retention pond. It is currently designated as a flood zone. I'm not a gambler, but I'd put money on it not being capable of supporting a parking garage similar to what existits immediately alongside Turkey Lake. I'll leave that up to civil engineers skilled in urban planning.

Reactions: Legacy
^20 years ago, the section of parking lot closest to the HR building was a retention pond. It is currently designated as a flood zone. I'm not a gambler, but I'd put money on it not being capable of supporting a parking garage similar to what existits immediately alongside Turkey Lake. I'll leave that up to civil engineers skilled in urban planning.
Didn’t know about the retention pond and flood zone, but having walked through the six inch deep lake that spreads across that area when it rains, I believe it.

All of that seems really doubtful. It just seems like a common sense decision to put the garage at the edge to allow for the most flexibility of the resort to grow and or change.
Dude, it's literally fact. I used to be a TM. Just go to the TM parking lot in the morning and see it's an absolute mess lol.

Dude, it's literally fact. I used to be a TM. Just go to the TM parking lot in the morning and see it's an absolute mess lol.
I assume you’re referring to the parking being crowded? If so I never disputed that, I was only talking about the placement of the garage.

And no I don’t buy any weird theories about why it couldn’t be built closer. I highly doubt that there won’t be something built there at some point in the future. Wether it be offices/facilities, theme park expansion or simply further expansion of the garages. My only point is they obviously chose the site for the garage that offered the most flexibility moving forward.

I assume you’re referring to the parking being crowded? If so I never disputed that, I was only talking about the placement of the garage.

And no I don’t buy any weird theories about why it couldn’t be built closer. I highly doubt that there won’t be something built there at some point in the future. Wether it be offices/facilities, theme park expansion or simply further expansion of the garages. My only point is they obviously chose the site for the garage that offered the most flexibility moving forward.
I wouldn't get my hopes up for theme park expansion back there. They are literally building more office buildings/wardrobe as we speak in a crucial area that cuts off the possibility of theme park expansion... even if many, many other factors already didn't.

Reactions: captainmoch
I wouldn't get my hopes up for theme park expansion back there. They are literally building more office buildings/wardrobe as we speak in a crucial area that cuts off the possibility of theme park expansion... even if many, many other factors already didn't.
Yeah I agree. There's plenty of other options in the park and it seems like the focus will be shifting to the other site soon. The only thing I was doing was pointing out that the placement of the garage allowed for some flexibility in the future. I could see in 10-20 years when things are really tight space wise them finding a way to make use of that area in some way.

Yeah I agree. There's plenty of other options in the park and it seems like the focus will be shifting to the other site soon. The only thing I was doing was pointing out that the placement of the garage allowed for some flexibility in the future. I could see in 10-20 years when things are really tight space wise them finding a way to make use of that area in some way.
I’d go out to 40-50 years before that is considered. Because the garage expansion is only adding 800 spaces. They still need all that parking.

I’d go out to 40-50 years before that is considered. Because the garage expansion is only adding 800 spaces. They still need all that parking.
Regardless of the parking lot I wouldn't be surprised if they at some point go to an off site parking and shuttle system to compliment the parking lots/garages. Of course also they could move some support facilities over to site B to alleviate the strain on the parking situation there. They may be tight on space somewhat, but at least they have lots of options going forward.