Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Eighth Voyage of Sindbad Closing

Sinbad was an enjoyable show when IOA opened. That era is gone, Lost Continent one of my favorite lands when the park first opened is just withering on the vine until its eventual IP replacement arrives. It’s just the theme park reality of the day.

The Motley Fool article is a joke. Disney has advantages Universal doesn’t have and as such Universal will likely always be the underdog. Yet look what Universal has accomplished. The WWOHP is still the best themed land(s) in Orlando. Pandora: The World of Avatar is beautiful undoubtedly, Flight of Passage sensational but it’s a largely static land and its main attraction also literally goes nowhere no matter how many wind effects they throw at you. It’s the ultimate screen attraction for all the Uni-screen haters.

Attraction closings suck. Universal has attractions that are open that need closing (Kidzone, Fear Factor Live) and long forgotten areas (Toon Lagoon Theater) that need renovations. But anyone who thinks the Mouse House has been doing it right has been on some wonderful pixie dust binge. I get it, D23 Expo Disney announces the world and it all looks tasty but have we forgotten what has gone on at Walt Disney World in the past decade? They sat there and did nothing of consequence, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train was the first D/E Ticket since Splash Mountain! Disney’s Hollywood Studios had 4 rides operating before Toy Story Land opened which is flat out embarrassing for a park using Walt’s name. Epcot has had the Wonders of Life Pavilion closed for how long? Innoventions and for that matter most of Future World has been an afterthought for how long? Disney is thankfully investing heavily now in Walt Disney World on new rides and infrastructure but it’s also making up for years of stagnation at the parks (not their bottom line of course) and even with all the new whizbang attractions (Guardians, Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, Tron) most of the parks at Walt Disney World will still have the same number of attractions as before with a lot of holes to fix (Stitch’s Great Escape, Journey into Imagination with Figment, Chester & Hester’s Dino-Rama, all of the shows at DHS) in their parks.

I get that there’s a fear Universal is slipping because Fallon and Fast & Furious are mediocre but that’s like holding up the boondoggle that is Disney’s Rivers of Light and now fearing every Disney nighttime show will be that poor. It’s shortsighted thinking.

Universal Orlando has added Volcano Bay, frankly the best water park in Orlando. It opened Sapphire Falls which is a great resort and is about to produce an incredible Harry Potter themed coaster next year that everyone is going to have to ride and it most likely will be a winner. Then there’s that whole business of a new resort with a new theme park that is the most widely publicized secret in the theme park industry. I still think people are underestimating what Nintendo is going to do for Universal as a family and nostalgia brand that is ever relevant today with the continued success of their current gaming console and the IP games that will continue becoming more and more mainstream once again as they launch on iOS in the coming years.

Universal has many things they could improve upon but a little context and perspective goes a long way. Hopefully my short first post did that.

It's funny how some people think they are entitled to get information from theme parks just because they do. Announcements come as they come.

I think you misunderstood. No one thinks they're entitled to information from UOR. The issue is that it is plainly bad business practice to halt all marketing and information regarding future attractions at a time when their most recent attraction was a dud and their competitor is going on an E-ticket frenzy. Building hype isn't just for the folks on this website, it's a necessary business strategy. When a teaser trailer for a new movie is released a year in advance to audiences worldwide, do you think the studio does this because people are entitled or because it's part of an expensive and well-planned marketing initiative?

I think you misunderstood. No one thinks they're entitled to information from UOR. The issue is that it is plainly bad business practice to halt all marketing and information regarding future attractions at a time when their most recent attraction was a dud and their competitor is going on an E-ticket frenzy. Building hype isn't just for the folks on this website, it's a necessary business strategy. When a teaser trailer for a new movie is released a year in advance to audiences worldwide, do you think the studio does this because people are entitled or because it's part of an expensive and well-planned marketing initiative?
The difference between teasers for movies and advertising vacations is that a teaser for a movie coming out next year won't deter anyone from seeing a movie this summer. If you tell people something cool is coming to a theme park next year, it causes a lot of people to postpone their visit until next year.

And concerning attractions after Potter coming to the existing parks. All three parks will get new attractions, that haven't been started yet before Fantastic Worlds opens.

The difference between teasers for movies and advertising vacations is that a teaser for a movie coming out next year won't deter anyone from seeing a movie this summer. If you tell people something cool is coming to a theme park next year, it causes a lot of people to postpone their visit until next year.

And concerning attractions after Potter coming to the existing parks. All three parks will get new attractions, that haven't been started yet before Fantastic Worlds opens.
Thanks for your constant insight and reassurance that development isn’t stopping because of the new park.

This is another argument that is made often that I don't think holds water to the degree people think. If it did, Disney wouldn't announce their attractions as early as they do (particularly Star Wars). This thinking all stems from 2009 when attendance shrank at the two parks while people waited for Potter but that was a different time under completely different circumstances and it involved an unbelievably popular IP. Prior to Potter, IOA hadn't opened a new E-ticket since park opening and it was an unprecedented addition to the resort. Delaying a family vacation until something on the scale of Potter opened in a park that hadn't offered anything in a decade makes perfect sense. Today, if a family were planning a trip to Universal in 2019 they would have a brand new mega E-ticket to look forward to which was already announced (albeit with almost no details). Postponing a trip beyond 2019 because the park was planning to open new rides in 2020, 2021, or 2022 would be untenable and irrational. The only announcement that makes sense to delay as long as possible would be something on the level of Fantastic Worlds.

The postponement argument also doesn't apply to smaller attractions like the Bourne stunt show which they have still yet to announce. No offense to the people working on that project but no one will be postponing a trip for it. We also have attendance numbers from 2014 through 2017 which pretty clearly shows attendance declines didn't happen despite Fallon, Fast & Furious, and Volcano Bay all being announced years before they opened.

This is great news. I just wish the world and the press new about it.

This is another argument that is made often that I don't think holds water to the degree people think. If it did, Disney wouldn't announce their attractions as early as they do (particularly Star Wars). This thinking all stems from 2009 when attendance shrank at the two parks while people waited for Potter but that was a different time under completely different circumstances and it involved an unbelievably popular IP. Prior to Potter, IOA hadn't opened a new E-ticket since park opening and it was an unprecedented addition to the resort. Delaying a family vacation until something on the scale of Potter opened in a park that hadn't offered anything in a decade makes perfect sense. Today, if a family were planning a trip to Universal in 2019 they would have a brand new mega E-ticket to look forward to which was already announced (albeit with almost no details). Postponing a trip beyond 2019 because the park was planning to open new rides in 2020, 2021, or 2022 would be untenable and irrational. The only announcement that makes sense to delay as long as possible would be something on the level of Fantastic Worlds.

The postponement argument also doesn't apply to smaller attractions like the Bourne stunt show which they have still yet to announce. No offense to the people working on that project but no one will be postponing a trip for it. We also have attendance numbers from 2014 through 2017 which pretty clearly shows attendance declines didn't happen despite Fallon, Fast & Furious, and Volcano Bay all being announced years before they opened.

This is great news. I just wish the world and the press new about it.

I think the difference in thought is that less people postpone their Disney trips than they do their Universal trips.

In other words, families may make an annual pilgrimage to WDW but may only go to Universal also every couple of years. They'll wait until that next big thing opens.

The thing is, this Potter coaster is supposed to be opening by May/June time and were passing the Summer season now. Id expect that the majority of people booked for between now and May will have booked up already. Even if theres truth to it, I cant really see that the % of people postponing their trips til adter this opens surpasses the % of people that will now book up for next year when maybe they wouldn't have but have now seen this super exciting detail about what is going to be a stonking attraction.

Last edited:
Universal should create their own D23 Expo styled event right here in Orlando, Florida. That would remove most of the remaining concerns I see here about Universal’s marketing.

That being said, there are a couple things I’ll add on this. The media is heavily slanted in Disney’s favor. From the huge media sites who use the relationship with the Disney brand to drive traffic to their websites with “exclusives” to the smaller Disney fansites that attempt to curry favor with Disney in order to be invited back for the extremely nice, all expenses paid media events. It’s a game and one Universal usually can only win on merit. When WWOHP opened no one could deny how much it changed the theme park landscape and Universal not only won over the press but more importantly the fans of Universal, Harry Potter, Disney and more. So the recipe for Universal is there. Create unmatched, unrivaled experiences that no one can deny are the best in theme park entertainment. Then the press will have no choice but to follow. Barring a fifth theme park from Walt Disney World, Fantastic Worlds will achieve this “press win” on its own merit.

Where Universal Orlando Resort is silently winning is on experience. Their Team Members have become phenomenal, the crowds at Disney are unbearable now most times of the year and outside of Pandora, Universal is where you go to experience thrilling new attractions. Getting to the Magic Kingdom is an endeavor with monorails that break down and once inside if you aren’t trampled by people, a stroller will get you. Universal Orlando Resort is designed almost like the Disneyland Resort and that’s a great thing. Want to ride Forbidden Journey and you are currently at E.T. it takes almost no time if you are a two park passholder. Just try doing that at Walt Disney World.

People will continue to go to Walt Disney World in perpetuity but Universal Orlando is getting more things right than not. Just observe how the crowds at Universal have changed, grown etc and just look at how the expectations have changed. You can see that right here in this forum. Everyone wants more from Universal because we’ve seen what they are capable of and frankly because we are humans and always want more. That’s good and if Universal delivers on that they’ll be just fine.

So you're saying Disney is announcement-proof but Universal is not. Isn't WDW considered the once-in-a-lifetime vacation for some? Isn't that the reason Orlando allegedly doesn't get as many refurbs/layovers as other parks?

I don't know. I don't think it adds up that Disney can announce expansion plans at ALL their resorts for up to 5 years into the future, but Universal announces their nighttime spectacular once it's already open. They're pretty much in the same playing field, fighting for family theme park vacation days and dollars. To justify them having M.O.'s on such extreme sides of the spectrum doesn't make sense to me.

Now Universal not having plans as concrete as Disney for the future, that's another story entirely.

Why, exactly, can they not start Demo of LC after Potter coaster opens? Are we thinking they wouldn't start anything until after the alleged JP coaster is finished? So it could easily be 2021 before they start, right?

Exactly people think it’s some sort of competition between the parks. When in reality Orlando is lucky to have such a vast array of theme parks like Disney,Universal and Seaworld as well as Legoland at their front door. No other area in the country besides Southern California has this amount of theme parks in one metro area.

SoCal doesn't even get close, even when you add amusement parks. Six Flags, Knotts, DCA, DL, USH, Lego. Orlando is double that.

Why, exactly, can they not start Demo of LC after Potter coaster opens? Are we thinking they wouldn't start anything until after the alleged JP coaster is finished? So it could easily be 2021 before they start, right?

SoCal doesn't even get close, even when you add amusement parks. Six Flags, Knotts, DCA, DL, USH, Lego. Orlando is double that.
At Orlando Informer they said not to expect any changes to the building in the foreseeable future. I think he's right.
Sinbad is part of quite a significant plot of land that I expect to be replaced/redone when a theme for the whole land is set, developed and given the green light.

Clearly Universal's quarterly reports show a very positive growth continuously. Their hotel rooms have a very high occupation rate and guest spending is up. I know it are just the boring facts but I think they are doing a fine job. But I must come clean that I not have a background in marketing nor theme parks and you clearly think you do so tell them they read these forum (if only for a good laugh).;)

Clearly Universal's quarterly reports show a very positive growth continuously. Their hotel rooms have a very high occupation rate and guest spending is up. I know it are just the boring facts but I think they are doing a fine job. But I must come clean that I not have a background in marketing nor theme parks and you clearly think you do so tell them they read these forum (if only for a good laugh).;)

Please. Stop. Keep on Sindbad.

I don't want to put anyone on timeout - but I can only warn so many times.