Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade (Orlando): Part 2

Yeah, they kind of look like malnourished Fir trees from what I have seen of them. I suppose I must contact a botanist pro to get it figured out.
I first saw them at the MK castle and wondered if it was disney magic where they chilled the ground to keep the roots happy. I don't think that is realistic though. Must be a heat loving species

Last edited:
Well, first off, all trees have branches of some sort. Second, are we talking about pines or something more spruce or fir?

The most common skinny pine in Florida is called a Slash or Longleaf pine. Is this what you are talking about?

Longleaf-pine-trees-in-prairie-habitat.jpg

I think it would be rare to find Longleaf Pine at a Home Depot but a local nursery should have them or guide you to where to find them. They look like this when young.

longleaf-pine-2.jpg

The pine on the left is the one I'm talking about

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah, that is the tree in question. What it “looks” like to me is a Larch (hackmatack, tamarack) but those are deciduous and only in zones 0-5 (land of ice and snow) and so I don’t believe that these are that.

Yeah, that is the tree in question. What it “looks” like to me is a Larch (hackmatack, tamarack) but those are deciduous and only in zones 0-5 (land of ice and snow) and so I don’t believe that these are that.
Maybe this one, several listed for zone 8 but this is a nine. All they have to do is get the yeti to drop some off.
  • Latin Name: Abies spectabilis
  • Other Common Names: East Himalayan fir
  • Native to: Afghanistan, China, India, and Nepal
  • USDA Zones: 7-9
  • Height: Can be almost 100' tall

Better description
Conifer Species: Abies pindrow | American Conifer Society

Maybe this one, several listed for zone 8 but this is a nine. All they have to do is get the yeti to drop some off.
  • Latin Name: Abies spectabilis
  • Other Common Names: East Himalayan fir
  • Native to: Afghanistan, China, India, and Nepal
  • USDA Zones: 7-9
  • Height: Can be almost 100' tall

Better description
Conifer Species: Abies pindrow | American Conifer Society
Hmm, so this may be the pine in question

I really want a couple for my backyard cause I think they are cool

Hmm, so this may be the pine in question

I really want a couple for my backyard cause I think they are cool

Not sure that it would work but we recently planted a dawn redwood. Grows fast, has a pleasant look and shape, but is deciduous (though it looks like an evergreen). Only issue is that it doesn't show being in the Florida grow zone.

For this land, evergreens are really good because they hide things better. Deciduous trees provide greater diversity and depth. Mixing in maples and oaks into the evergreens fills out and even adding in some beeches.

I don’t believe that Abies spectabilis is the tree in question as that species isn’t in cultivation anywhere from what I read.

There is a very old dawn redwood here on the island and it is beautiful, soft feathery sprills etc.

It’s funny how this has become the mystery of the Charlie Brown christmas tree.

JoeCamel, you were so damned close it ain’t even funny!

The tree in question is Cedrus deodara “Himilayan Cedar”

Nej6sV1.jpg

cedrus-deodara-p969-4119_medium.jpg

Backstory: I already knew that what we have come to call a cedar here in the US and even in Europe is not technically a cedar at all and more correctly referred to as Aborvitae, Latin: Thuya. These incorrectly called trees include Red Cedar, White Cedar etc.

So... this mystery tree, Cedrus deodara, is in fact a true Cedar in the botanical world. It’s range is severely limited to zone 7-9 and Universal horticulture admits that they are pushing it having it in Central Florida. That is probably why they look a bit hinky.

Now, for the other two evergreens used in the WW... you guessed it... they are what you or I probably would call CEDARs. They are:

Thuja occidentalis
Y6gktQd.jpg

Juniperus chinensis
5ScPC6a.jpg

These pictures were apparently just taken for me. Aren’t plant people nice people? ;)

I don’t believe that Abies spectabilis is the tree in question as that species isn’t in cultivation anywhere from what I read.

There is a very old dawn redwood here on the island and it is beautiful, soft feathery sprills etc.

It’s funny how this has become the mystery of the Charlie Brown christmas tree.

Plus, the dawn redwood grows quickly. The one we planted (actually planted three years ago) was savaged by a buck. We then put fencing up and it has recovered nicely. Started at 4 feet high and is now closer to 7 feet high, even after getting crunched by the deer. Of course, within the next month, my backyard will look like a prison for trees as I erect all the fencing to protect my trees from the bucks rubbing their antlers. Won't have to do that in a couple more years once the arbor vitae fill out. They're tall (18') but not wide enough to deter bucks from rubbing and snapping off branches.

Nej6sV1.jpg

Backstory: I already knew that what we have come to call a cedar here in the US and even in Europe is not technically a cedar at all and more correctly referred to as Aborvitae, Latin: Thuya. These incorrectly called trees include Red Cedar, White Cedar etc.

So... this mystery tree, Cedrus deodara, is in fact a true Cedar in the botanical world. It’s range is severely limited to zone 7-9 and Universal horticulture admits that they are pushing it having it in Central Florida. That is probably why they look a bit hinky.

Now, for the other two evergreens used in the WW... you guessed it... they are what you or I probably would call CEDARs. They are:

Thuja occidentalis
Y6gktQd.jpg

Juniperus chinensis
5ScPC6a.jpg

These pictures were apparently just taken for me. Aren’t plant people nice people? ;)

Thanks, I have wondered that for years!

Nej6sV1.jpg

Thuja occidentalis
Y6gktQd.jpg

Juniperus chinensis
5ScPC6a.jpg

Yay! Thanks Joe and Teebin for helping narrow it down...Now I have to find one in a nursery

I've a question, apologies if this is naive. But was Harry Potter and Forbidden Journey supposed to be in 3D originally? The screen segments are extremely bright compared to the physical sets, which in my opinion makes it quite simple to see where the sets end and the screens start; however with polarised glasses on it would be much harder.

I've a question, apologies if this is naive. But was Harry Potter and Forbidden Journey supposed to be in 3D originally? The screen segments are extremely bright compared to the physical sets, which in my opinion makes it quite simple to see where the sets end and the screens start; however with polarised glasses on it would be much harder.
The most recent updated film for the screens was originally from the 3D version of the attraction, but the first rendition of footage in Orlando was always intended and created to be 2D. So you're sort of correct - the current footage does feature certain effects that were intended for 3D originally (the dragon remaining on the screen before the bridge, the golden snitch in your face). But no, initially the attraction wasn't 3D. The current footage was however.

Last edited:
When does Hot Butterbeer make its return? Or is it already available? Don't they do Hot Pumpkin Juice too? Going November 1st and hope to partake in these fantastic drinks again!