Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Budget Cutz: Disney Edition

Jan 31, 2013
After resort parking fees added this year, the following cuts are happening at Disney for the new fiscal year.

Long Time Citizens of Hollywood: Paige Turner, Dorma Nesmond, Dara Vamp, and Officer Prime Brody, contract ending 6 months early.
Jack Sparrow Pirate Training Show in the Magic Kingdom
The entire Rafiki's Planet Watch area (and train) in Animal Kingdom going "seasonal". (Not good if you have little kids)

Universal is cutting...

oh. Pardon me, I thought this was Universal and not Disney. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if China's new circle-vision is cancelled.

Didn't the filming already occur? I thought they showed the camera rig and filming of it back at D23.

That said..I do wonder if the scaling back of Poppins is due to cutting of costs.

Either way, I think we aren't done seeing more cuts, even though they really shouldn't.

Universal is cutting...

oh. Pardon me, I thought this was Universal and not Disney. ;)

Didn't the filming already occur? I thought they showed the camera rig and filming of it back at D23.

That said..I do wonder if the scaling back of Poppins is due to cutting of costs.

Either way, I think we aren't done seeing more cuts, even though they really shouldn't.
Just checked the video, couldn't find any footage of them filming it. You may be thinking of the behind the scenes footage they released of when they were filming at the great wall for Soarin.

Honestly, it's something I've had in the back of mind for a few months, considering how much money Disney has put up for Fox. Honestly, I'm concerned over a lot of things for DPR, more specifically on projects that haven't gone off-ground vertically (or are about too).

Things like GE, MMRR, Tron, Rat, and Guardians for Orlando & Frozen for HKDL should be fine, but I am concerned for WDSP & DCA on their expansion plans. I'm also worried, of what the cuts will entail for not just creative side of WDI..but In-Park Operations for all of the parks.

Why were these cuts happening again?

Is this related to cost overruns on SW, down attendance, or just corporate nonsense?
I'd guess all of the above. They run over budget for EVERYTHING at Disney (construction, labor, general expenses) and most likely this is management trying to maintain their bonuses more than anything.

FOX is impacting new attraction development, so may be playing a part in Poppins being downgraded.

The entertainment cuts are because of attendance issues.
That is troublesome. Cutting costs and cheapen out didn't do well for Disney (looking at the Paris Studio park and California Adventure). They are investing heavily in infrastructure at WDW and hotels but that is not the reason why people visit a theme park...

My understanding is the new show is actually supposed to be a pretty big investment. It may be they are cutting some of the entertainment to redistribute to other places.

Last edited:
ap holders don't get discounts on food.But we did last year.Disney doing early park admission for Hollywood studios but you have to pay 80-100 dollars for 1 hour.

After resort parking fees added this year, the following cuts are happening at Disney for the new fiscal year.

Long Time Citizens of Hollywood: Paige Turner, Dorma Nesmond, Dara Vamp, and Officer Prime Brody, contract ending 6 months early.
Jack Sparrow Pirate Training Show in the Magic Kingdom
The entire Rafiki's Planet Watch area (and train) in Animal Kingdom going "seasonal". (Not good if you have little kids)

Wow. Rafiki's Planet Watch is 100% my daughter's favorite thing in the entire property. I know she is in the minority, but c'mon. When we were there a few weeks ago Doc McStuffins wasn't out and none of the CMs seemed to know why. It was quite disappointing.

FOX is impacting new attraction development, so may be playing a part in Poppins being downgraded.

The entertainment cuts are because of attendance issues.

The funny thing (or not so funny) is that, on Magic, there was a discussion about the Fox acquisition. One group was in the camp of "mergers/acquisitions have their own spend budget". However, that never made complete sense. In this case, so much money is on the move that it has to impact all areas to an extent. For Poppins, I would rather that they delay in order to build the ride that should be built instead of putting in something that isn't anywhere close to what should be built. Heck, they've let Epcot go to seed this long. What's another five years?

When they're making these cuts, I can see why they might because there isn't a true payback/ROI. However, sometimes it is the small thing that moves the needle on overall experience.