Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion | Page 362 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 28 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Holy hell. Did you read Legacy’s post? Could it be that nothing has change much and you’re the one who has changed?
I don't think I imagined the removal of the Jell-O shot girls, Alcohol from the streets, removal of shows with adult humor and language. Nothing has changed for me, but I've noticed the small changes over the last several years. The reason this article or whatever wasn't immediately dismissed as BS by everyone is because others have noticed the changes as well. We've noticed them here on this forum and had this very discussion in the past. The point I'm making is it's not a big fundamental change to a family friendly event it's the subtleties. While I really like and enjoy @Legacy input and info on HHN every year, I don't think he's actually been in a while. Since what I'm referring to is the mood of the event more than anything else it's really hard to get a grasp of that if you're not there. He's comparing themes to houses which is really irrelevant to this discussion. Houses have never been an issue for the younger guests. The event is always going to change, as it should. There are lots of factors. There are more children and families at HHN every year, probably in part to parents loosening up a bit. I think this is a great thing, and if Universal doesn't adapt to it the event would probably stagnate and die. As much as we would all like for everything to be catered to us niche HHN fans that just isn't feasible. It's exactly like Mike said the event has to appeal to a spectrum of guests. It used to be just a little more focused. That of course doesn't mean they're going to push the adult end of the spectrum out. HHN developed a reputation for being a little bit of a drunken adult party and in just the last few years they've done a lot to clean that reputation up. Again it's not a big fundamental change, but it's enough to make those parents of preteen kids feel a lot more comfortable taking them to HHN.

I had a SA dance around with me after his scare in the first room of CG, so yeah, I'd say that house has a devilishly playful tone.

On the topic of gore, both Chucky and Vamp zones are full of gore, and StrTh has at least one dead body with vines protruding from their mouth, so I'd say they aren't trying to hide it from the GP.

chucky proves that you can totally have gore but be light and not scary. Chucky might be the least scary zone in the park lol.

And the pumpkin zone I think I would call the scariest (or maybe the Simpsons clowns) and they dont even have gory props.

gore doesnt mean scary,there could be gore and the house or the street could totally be light or not threatening. all that gore is, is just some rubber dummies painted red :lol:
I mean, you can get those rubber arms and legs at Spirit halloween store. maybe gore was scary 10 years ago but halloween prop gore is almost the norm now.
even Spencers will have gory props on sale.

the event could totally be toned down or made light without removing any of the gore, something as small as lowering the volume on the houses would have that effect already.

yeah i can see it, but without the masks they would look pretty similar

I’m just glad they didn’t knock off TLB for Vamp ‘85. It was hard enough sitting through that “Cry Little Sister” remix before AOV.

I was just going to comment on that.

Also, to boot.

For the sake of clarity, this was originally in-part to one of the Jim Hill podcasts, to where that came from in the first place from him. Then, it somewhat blew up, and other sites like HHNU came in and reported it.

Probably an unpopular opinion but I still have very fond memories of AYAOTD? & Scary Stories TTITD so I’d welcome those two with open arms. Though both have content that’s arguably darker than Stranger Things, with their movies coming out next year (& they’re not WB properties) I can picture them being done well if they were something HHN wanted!

Also, the current properties appeal to millennials which are now the age of their target demographic. Not all generations like the same things.

This actually makes sense. Before his fall from grace, the smartest thing Devin Faraci ever said: Boomers want to remain perpetually 18, Gen Xers wants to remain perpetually 13, I guess Millennials will want to remain perpetually 8.

This year features a Spielberg movie and a blatant Spielberg homage. And two zones that prominently feature toys used in deadly ways. The real life equivalent of Millennial clickbait. Too bad Marvel won't ever let them do Maximum Carnage again, that would've fit the line-up perfectly.

On the subject of gore, HHN has rarely had more than two houses I'd consider "gory." And more often than not, one of those was the comedy house (Giggles, Cleaver, Zombiegeddon, Jack's show). I don't automatically equate gore with scares or maturity. While I agree with Aiello HHN has always been about all aspects of Halloween, I think equating the point he's addressing down simply to gore is a straw man argument.

On the subject of gore, HHN has rarely had more than two houses I'd consider "gory." And more often than not, one of those was the comedy house (Giggles, Cleaver, Zombiegeddon, Jack's show). I don't automatically equate gore with scares or maturity. While I agree with Aiello HHN has always been about all aspects of Halloween, I think equating the point he's addressing down simply to gore is a straw man argument.

Similar how to making something mature is more than just adding swear words and sex appeal.

I don't think I imagined the removal of the Jell-O shot girls, Alcohol from the streets, removal of shows with adult humor and language. Nothing has changed for me, but I've noticed the small changes over the last several years. The reason this article or whatever wasn't immediately dismissed as BS by everyone is because others have noticed the changes as well. We've noticed them here on this forum and had this very discussion in the past. The point I'm making is it's not a big fundamental change to a family friendly event it's the subtleties. While I really like and enjoy @Legacy input and info on HHN every year, I don't think he's actually been in a while. Since what I'm referring to is the mood of the event more than anything else it's really hard to get a grasp of that if you're not there. He's comparing themes to houses which is really irrelevant to this discussion. Houses have never been an issue for the younger guests. The event is always going to change, as it should. There are lots of factors. There are more children and families at HHN every year, probably in part to parents loosening up a bit. I think this is a great thing, and if Universal doesn't adapt to it the event would probably stagnate and die. As much as we would all like for everything to be catered to us niche HHN fans that just isn't feasible. It's exactly like Mike said the event has to appeal to a spectrum of guests. It used to be just a little more focused. That of course doesn't mean they're going to push the adult end of the spectrum out. HHN developed a reputation for being a little bit of a drunken adult party and in just the last few years they've done a lot to clean that reputation up. Again it's not a big fundamental change, but it's enough to make those parents of preteen kids feel a lot more comfortable taking them to HHN.
I haven't been since 2011, and I see your point. But with that, the tonal spectrum has always varied beyond the houses. They used to have dance zones along side scarezones (no scareactors, just lights and dance music). Treaks and Foons were never scary. You had Bill and Ted, Brian Brushwood, Rocky Horror, AoV... They used to have live bands and Robosaurus. The parade was a spooky Mardi Gras. Basically, they've strived to accommodate all tastes since the very beginning. To say they're just now trying to appease "everyone" ignores most of their past.

Really the only change that affects the tone of the event is alcohol. And while that makes a sizeable difference, it's also not a bad change.

I haven't been since 2011, and I see your point. But with that, the tonal spectrum has always varied beyond the houses. They used to have dance zones along side scarezones (no scareactors, just lights and dance music). Treaks and Foons were never scary. You had Bill and Ted, Brian Brushwood, Rocky Horror, AoV... They used to have live bands and Robosaurus. The parade was a spooky Mardi Gras. Basically, they've strived to accommodate all tastes since the very beginning. To say they're just now trying to appease "everyone" ignores most of their past.

Really the only change that affects the tone of the event is alcohol. And while that makes a sizeable difference, it's also not a bad change.
Yeah that’s the thing, I think the shift is very subtle. It’s not something the casual guest would probably even notice, but from the perspective of a teen/preteen parent the event feels safer and cleaner. I think Mike Aiello handled it perfectly and I agree with what he said, but I think you also can’t ignore the changes.

Going forward it’ll also be interesting to see what effect Stranger Things has on the event. I know just from what I’ve seen from my friends, family and acquaintances there are a lot of people who would’ve otherwise never considered going to HHN going for their first time. I suspect there will be a lot more people hitting that “it was too scary” checkbox in the surveys this year. Or maybe they’ll just become horror fans. Either way I suspect the event will continue to grow and change.

What does family friendly even mean anymore? Families are so diverse these days

Just look at the Kong queue...Some kids come out crying while other just laugh joyfully

Eh...
ahs-gimp.jpg

I'd say the AHS costumes are a bit more fantastical and flamboyant, although there are similarities.

That weird clown on the far left looks straight out of AHS Cult....

For perspective, this will be my family's first time going to HHN. It will be me, my husband, my 15yo and my 12yo. Out of the 4 of us, the 12yo is the bravest. We have been going to HOS Williamsburg for years...not always going inside the mazes, but for years. When my 12yo was 6 he begged to go into a maze. My husband took him, and he never wanted to go back into one until he was 8yo. That year, he went laughing into every maze while I stayed with my oldest child at the exit. My 12yo thinks it is great fun, the 15yo is finally brave (or pretends to be so his little brother doesn't show him up). We made these plans before Stranger Things was even announced. If someone scares the dog poop out of one of my kids, fine...that's what they are supposed to do. No complaints from me. I know what I've bought tickets to and would never want them to tone it down just because I have some kids with me. And my kids will be with me...not running around by themselves and being disrespectful or obnoxious.

We did MNSSHP when they were much younger. They'd be bored and insulted if I suggested that was on their level now. They are excited for HHN. You have to know your kids. Know what house my 12yo is most excited about??? Halloween 4. We've watched the movies, he is a horror movie fanatic.

Interestingly, I see everyone talking about HHN decreasing alcohol and having that be a dissatisfier. HOS Williamsburg has major increased the amount of alcohol over the last several years and it seems that as their alcohol budget has increased, they have scaled back their budget for other things. Not enough Scareactors, scare zones that are lacking, same thing over and over again. We will be going to HOS in a week or so before traveling to Orlando for HHN and given that it's their 20th anniversary of HOS they are saying this will be the best year yet. We will see.

Arcade, Tunnel, Quarry, Pumpkin Patch, Shadow Monster, Shed Possessesion, Byers House, Eleven vs the Portal, Lab Massacre(Bob’s Death), and a ton of demodogs
that actually sounds cool. if i remember you were gonna do a house layout once in the hnn forums but you never did. but after seeing season 2 it has tons of more potential in my opinion since there's 3 other villians you can use for scares. [ demodogs, possessed will, and mind flayer.

Reactions: horrornights789
that actually sounds cool. if i remember you were gonna do a house layout once in the hnn forums but you never did. but after seeing season 2 it has tons of more potential in my opinion since there's 3 other villians you can use for scares. [ demodogs, possessed will, and mind flayer.

Stranger Things 2 is gonna be a SCARY house. IMO it translates better for pop out scares since the demodogs are literally everywhere

Reactions: hhnlover