Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

I would say they are way over-spending on the rock work. They could have cut 100 million dollars out of the budget and not lost 1 guest who will potentially visit this place. It's diminishing returns.

I would say they are way over-spending on the rock work. They could have cut 100 million dollars out of the budget and not lost 1 guest who will potentially visit this place. It's diminishing returns.

and that's why you are not in charge, thank goodness. Of course, you will still go visit the land, right?

And you know that for a fact do you? Who loses a job before even starting it almost a year out?
He's not talking about Galaxy's Edge Performers, he's talking about people like the Citizens of Hollywood and Rivers of Light Performers that are being let go right now (the ones everyone's been talking about in the Attendance Decline and Budget Cuts threads). Although I don't necessarily agree that these spires are the problem.

He's not talking about Galaxy's Edge Performers, he's talking about people like the Citizens of Hollywood and Rivers of Light Performers that are being let go right now (the ones everyone's been talking about in the Attendance Decline and Budget Cuts threads). Although I don't necessarily agree that these spires are the problem.
Yeah, it’s a completely separate budget. Put those cuts on entertainment, not the only good thing coming from Star Wars right now which is the theme park land.

Ahh man I didnt know that. I wanted to see Betty Shambles when I go in 2 weeks!

But you can. Parks and Resorts is a budget lumped together..

I will argue the fact that with 10 less rock spires this land will still be one of the greatest themed lands of all time. It wouldn't change the quality of the land at all. Or they could have designed the thing with a lot less rockwork from the beginning and still created one of the greatest themed lands of all time. They are over spending as a choice. Sometimes more of something doesn't always make it better. Avatar is a perfect example to me. They could have spent half the amount of money they did and still created something just as amazing that would have created the same revenue with a much better ROI.

But you can. Parks and Resorts is a budget lumped together..

I will argue the fact that with 10 less rock spires this land will still be one of the greatest themed lands of all time. It wouldn't change the quality of the land at all. Or they could have designed the thing with a lot less rockwork from the beginning and still created one of the greatest themed lands of all time. They are over spending as a choice. Sometimes more of something doesn't always make it better. Avatar is a perfect example to me. They could have spent half the amount of money they did and still created something just as amazing that would have created the same revenue with a much better ROI.

I’ll have to disagree with you on Avatar. The amazing rockwork is the main highlight of that land. I can only hope that Universal creates something along the same level one day.

I'm curious to know what lifespan Disney would need to see a ROI for this project; that directly impacts DHS. I'm all for immersion and taking things to the next level, but it does seem, to me, that there is a bit overspending on details that nobody will even notice or care. I've seen enough videos of imagineers overselling a product and in the end not living up to its expectations. *Side eyes Pandora*

I'm curious to know what lifespan Disney would need to see a ROI for this project; that directly impacts DHS. I'm all for immersion and taking things to the next level, but it does seem, to me, that there is a bit overspending on details that nobody will even notice or care. I've seen enough videos of imagineers overselling a product and in the end not living up to its expectations. *Side eyes Pandora*
Meanwhile Pandora’s been packed since opening except obviously in slower times. I think it’s just you on that one.

Star Wars Land will be fine.

sorry the trolls are just too much for me this morning. First it's "Disney is being too cheap! The themed elements look cheap! budget cuts are bad!", and then it's "Disney is spending too much to make this land better themed and more immersive and people are losing jobs because of it! Less theming is good!" Make up your damn mind. Stuff costs money. Keep in mind they are building TWO versions of this land at the same time, and they are also building major attractions in every park (besides Animal Kingdom). The extra spires aren't the only budget concern. Choose your bias wisely.

Meanwhile Pandora’s been packed since opening except obviously in slower times. I think it’s just you on that one.

Star Wars Land will be fine.

But that's my point exactly. The people will come anyways. Pandora is pretty, ok, but I think think they could have achieved the same for less is what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying Pandora is a failure.

But that's my point exactly. The people will come anyways. Pandora is pretty, ok, but I think think they could have achieved the same for less is what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying Pandora is a failure.
You implied it didn’t live up to expectations. The main ride went above a lot of expectations.

I get the whole “less rockwork is good” perspective though when Universal does things like leaving Hogwarts unfinished with the showbuilding exposed therefore making it strange when things like that aren’t done and the team goes above and beyond to make immersion as seamless as possible.

You implied it didn’t live up to expectations. The main ride went above a lot of expectations.

Really? :/ Well, I'll just leave that alone. And they did over promise with Pandora...we got rock plans and a waterfall. TSL was, eh....

But I see that they have imbalances. They go from one extreme to the other. Frozen (Cheap) vs Pandora (Splurged) just as one example.

But back to topic, I hope for Disney, the GP and nor just the SW fanatics will, um, appreciate all this thought put into it. And please fix the spires on the stick, ugh.