Bumblebee (2018) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Bumblebee (2018)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Some notes from the Hall H panel,

• We will see Cybertron more and finally seeing what Bumblebee looked like on the planet
  • Starscream wasn't in the trailer, was instead Blitzwing
  • Triple Changers are being added with the two Decepticons seen above.
  • Will be more clear who's fighting who

Reactions: Dhdhddh
I am noticing people turning the film down due to Starscream not being in the film. And I find that hilarious, as from everything I'm reading; it really seems that Travis Knight is understanding what to do with the franchise. If this is going in the direction I think it is, this could be a great chance to redo Transformers.

Oh, and a slight mention..but Optimus was in the sizzle reel; and it seems like they are going more to the G1 style.

Reactions: Dhdhddh
Holy crap they showed Cybertron! And it looks amazing! My hype was already at 150% with Travis Knight directing and the first trailer, but now I’m sitting at a decent 300%

This film, didn't deserve to be this good.

I'll edit in with more thoughts, but this is the best adaptation of an 80's animated show yet for film. Genuinely happy for Travis Knights live action debut.

EDIT: This film, does so much for Transformers. It acts in a way, as a perfect way to reboot the series. And if Travis Knight is an example of what the future awaits, then I am all in.

His direction, alongside the surprisingly good writing from Christina Hodson; is what makes this film shine. It has a lot of great respect to Generation One, and the way's they open the door; feel natural and genuine.

They also adressed the franchises two..big problems.

The first, is actors. Hailee Steinfeld takes her performance to a level that brings emotion and nature. She is the standout performance from the film. They also had some really fun side characters, and some surprisingly good acting from John Cena (which reminds me of Dwayne Johnson in a way).

But the second, is the Transformers themselves. Their designs; expressions; movements: everything. They nailed down what makes it great for these characters to exist, and that goes to the choice of turning the clock back to a more dated age.

Speaking of the 80's, that soundtrack was rather good; as the score was entertaining and fun to listen to.

__

I am so happy that they got this down right. And if it's successful, then sign me up for seeing how they reboot the mainline Transformers story.

So proud for everyone at Allspark Pictures, especially for Greg Mooradian for pulling this off.

Last edited:
bumblebee seems to be in the category of no one thinks it is great but everyone likes it. For a blockbuster type/action movie I would say that is pretty good.

No matter the box office that Bumblebee does, it has basically given the franchise new life and reason for people to believe that a Transformers movie can actually be good.

Reactions: TheGentTrent
Reactions: SeventyOne
Tardy to the party, but caught this tonight, in a surprisingly full theater at Springs. Slight spoilers to follow:

First off, the Gen 1 designs are great. Would really love to see the ride retrofitted to include these.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. Very 80s plot--I assume intentionally--with Steinfeld giving a better performance than Pitch Perfect led me to believe she was capable of, and Cena working well as the gruff-but-heart-of-gold comic relief. CGI fight scenes worked well, being confined in location and number of characters--you knew who was hitting whom, with some really cool effects.

That said, like Suicide Squad, there were too many needle-drops, and they were all way too squarely on the nose. On that line of thought, all the music and -in-jokes assume a Ready Player One Egger-level knowledge of 80s pop culture. I think two of us in the theater laughed when "You got the touch/You got the power" came on the radio (tho we both seemed to think it was hysterical). And I'm not sure anyone else in my showing got that Bee's salute to Cena was lifted off Judd Nelson. It's odd to have a movie directed at nostalgic Gen Xers when it's target audience would seem to be tweens and young teens--and again, it serves that audience well enough just by being a fun action movie.

Worth catching before it disappears, or definitely worth a Saturday afternoon when it pops up on HBO or Netflix.

I really didn't want to see this because of how awful the other Transformers movies were, but I decided to go see it amidst all of the glowing reviews. I surprisingly enjoyed it. Definitely my favorite Transformers movie. It was more about character and story than MICHAEL BAYSPLOSIAAANNSSS!!!!! Check it out if you haven't already.