Aventura Hotel | Page 71 | Inside Universal Forums

Aventura Hotel

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
All food closes at midnight. We were told by the front desk we had to order from an off-property pizzeria when we got back from HHN.

Even though the bar closes at 2am, last call is 1:30am and they are STRICT with that. We arrived at 1:32 for a drink after HHN and were not served. This was after getting turned away from Stranger Things (Friday night ordeal). Haven't been rejected that many times and so quickly since my high school days.

I know Joe already helped you change your reservation over to Portofino, but I just wanted to give my thoughts having stayed at Aventura Friday night in a Kids suite (with my two brothers, no kids).

We had the Kids suite on the third floor at the end of the hallway, looking towards Sapphire Falls / the parks.

One of the iPad chargers was broken so when we got back from HHN late at night, we were unable to turn off the TV that this particular iPad controlled. Luckily it wasn't the TV where I was sleeping.

First I should say that I work as a designer/coder of websites, as well as design UX for all sorts of devices. I also designed and installed my own home automation system, using a matrix of systems ranging from ISY-994i to HS3 Pro, that are all integrated into a singular HA solution called myServer by Allonis.

I was impressed with the UI/UX for the control system on the iPad. It was extremely simple and easy to use, especially the A/V portion of it. Having said that, only 1 of the 5 lights listed under lighting worked. Also, the Somfy curtains weren't integrated into the system, they had separate push button controls mounted on the walls.

My two brothers (also AP holders who have stayed in most of the on-site hotels) agreed with the sentinment of this being our least favorite hotel. We won't be staying here again (unless by necessity). My feelings for Aventura are exactly as it's name implies, its nothing more than a hotel, and definitely not a resort.

EDIT: @JoeCamel do you mind snapping a few pictures of the iPad interface and posting them? thanks!
Sorry I just saw this and am home this morning.Have to add I can turn a TV on and off with one button on a remote. The Ipad requires a minimum of three. The light over the sink is tied to the vestibule light so if you forgot to turn that one on you have to find the pad and do it or walk all the way to the door I found the interface un necessary and more of a "look what I can do" techie thing than useful. No channels on the TV so unless you know what you want to watch you have to use an outside guide or flip through. Not what I want in automation.

We enjoyed our stay and I do think I would stay here again. Oddly, our daughter calls this place her favorite (she found the iPAD cool is all it boils down to). I'm not that impressed by tech like that nor am I that into social media but it was sort of a trip to learn (since it is easy to you TUBE to the TV) that my daughter watches vBloggers like Tim Tracker. There was some sort of speaker on the counter that we assume was for voice control, but we never figured out how to use it.

UNI does have a ways to go though as @UNIrd pointed out the shuttle service is just poorly thought out. We were in a line of about 10 people and we were not allowed on two buses that seemed to stop just to let three people off and then try to get the heck out. Driver do not say much. I dislike that they ride with the inside lights on at night as it makes it hard to see out as it is not like they tell you they stopped at CBBR (saw folks get off at the wrong stop and then told to go wait in line to get back on). We seldom had an open seat even being the only ones waiting.

I also found it odd how hard it was to figure out how to get to VB. The resort security entrance to VB is just steps away and it seems the easiest way to get there is via the pool. I am certain there is a way with going through the pool, but it was not obvious and hotel staff told us to go via the pool.

I was not that impressed with the Urban Pantry, not sure why, it just did not click with me. Also, they have this one area where the food is set up like a Perkins or something, a straight line with a place for your trey, they get the food for you and all and then the registers are sort of around a bend...so we go to look at the food...first thing we are told is that we are supposed to start at the registers...you know, pay first then get your food. It was just odd to me.

The first few nights, one needed to take the elevator down to the lobby to catch the express to 17 (leaving the bistro had options to stop at our floor), then, around Friday, they turned on the option to go to 17 from our floor (the buttons for the elevator are on a digital display).

Anyway, I think any issues I had were more UoR (like the transportation to the park) but I really had no issues with the hotel (save the trash cans at the pantry, I guess they do not want you to toss the treys/plates so the opening is about the size of a coffee can (maybe smaller in circumference).

UNI does have a ways to go though as @UNIrd pointed out the shuttle service is just poorly thought out. We were in a line of about 10 people and we were not allowed on two buses that seemed to stop just to let three people off and then try to get the heck out. Driver do not say much. I dislike that they ride with the inside lights on at night as it makes it hard to see out as it is not like they tell you they stopped at CBBR (saw folks get off at the wrong stop and then told to go wait in line to get back on). We seldom had an open seat even being the only ones waiting.

Thanks for the review! I'll be there in 2 weeks. Woohoo.

Since there's a issue with the buses right now you think we can just walk to Sapphire Falls and use theirs?
Or its not really that big of a deal?

Also when I was taking the bus last year from Cabana Bay sometimes they leave the light on/sometimes off. Maybe they forget to turn them off sometimes. lol.

I also found it odd how hard it was to figure out how to get to VB. The resort security entrance to VB is just steps away and it seems the easiest way to get there is via the pool. I am certain there is a way with going through the pool, but it was not obvious and hotel staff told us to go via the pool.

There was a gate right by the hot tub that led to the Volcano Bay walkway. I didn't try it but I wanted to just to time it.

Thanks for the review! I'll be there in 2 weeks. Woohoo.

Since there's a issue with the buses right now you think we can just walk to Sapphire Falls and use theirs?
Or its not really that big of a deal?

Also when I was taking the bus last year from Cabana Bay sometimes they leave the light on/sometimes off. Maybe they forget to turn them off sometimes. lol.

We took the water taxi from SF after seeing three buses not wanting to let us on. I imagine we could have grabbed a bus from there, but we didn’t try. Personally, I would just walk to the park, but my wife and daughter do not consider that an option (there is a ton of walking as part of HHN so I guess I get it.

There was a gate right by the hot tub that led to the Volcano Bay walkway. I didn't try it but I wanted to just to time it.

Yes, that is the way there via the pool, I just couldn’t figure a way there w/o going through the pool area. I could have figured it on the walk back, but we cut through the pool again.

Interesting to see all of these mixed reviews for Aventura.

I think this hotel is going to be exactly what I'm looking for (and we're staying for eight nights in October).

-I'm in my lower-thirties and we're not traveling with kids
-Rooms are modern w/ good views (bed is comfortable)
-Loews' level of service (used to this with other UO properties)
-Enjoy a few days relaxing by the pool (ordering lunch / drinks)
-Can walk to SF and take the water taxi to Citywalk (way better than buses)

We stayed at SF last year - and really enjoyed it. But also don't know if it's $600+ better than Aventura.

Reactions: frenchy2475
Interesting to see all of these mixed reviews for Aventura.

I think this hotel is going to be exactly what I'm looking for (and we're staying for eight nights in October).

-I'm in my lower-thirties and we're not traveling with kids
-Rooms are modern w/ good views (bed is comfortable)
-Loews' level of service (used to this with other UO properties)
-Enjoy a few days relaxing by the pool (ordering lunch / drinks)
-Can walk to SF and take the water taxi to Citywalk (way better than buses)

We stayed at SF last year - and really enjoyed it. But also don't know if it's $600+ better than Aventura.

Exactly... especially when you're a stone's throw from their amenities if you really wanted to use them.

Now the bed's a bit firm but those pillows were so big and plush. I would buy two right now if I could find out exactly which ones they were.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Take a big enough bag and they can be yours for the low low price of free :p (kidding I don't condone the taking of stuff from the rooms Comcast only has so much money and if we all took the pillows we would get nothing but F&F rides for the next decade)

My cousins stayed there this past weekend while I stayed at Sapphire.

The burger station at Aventura was really good. The fries were nice and fresh as well.
The room looked cheap ikea. I know its the least expensive hotel option onsite. The walls in the room already looked dirty. The carpet in the hallways look like gym carpeting. I'd pay no more that $90 a night for this hotel.

What bothers me about all the universal hotels is that the pools close early. Why are the pools closing at 10pm? One can't even enjoy them after park close.

I slept over in Mark & Samantha's room the evening of our one day 4 park/2 hotel resorts WDW commando tour, since it was too late for my brother to drive over from our room in the downtown Marriott (formerly Sheraton) to pick me up. The fold out sofa bed was huge and comfortable. It could easily fit two normal sized people. The room is a bit smallish, but the great full window view from the bed makes up for it. Adventura seems more like a business hotel. Coming from stays the days before at the downtown Charlotte Marriott and downtown Orlando Marriott, it really had the same exact feel, look and atmosphere, except the Aventura room is smaller. And both Marriotts had those same sliding bathroom doors, and fake wood floors that we complain about at Sapphire & Avventura. Myself, I like a resort theme immersion hotel better, but for 20 and 30 something couples without children, love of high tech, and a tight budget, this might be a good value priced choice. But, a big negative to me, I think it's a bit too much to turn the most simple of functions, namely turning lights on/off, turning TV on/off, controlling thermostats,etc. into a complex tablet interaction. To me that's pure stupid over the top unnecessary tech, and that alone would keep me from staying there. Love the Bistro Bar/Restaurant, for the most part, though. More on that later.

Last edited:
On Bar 17 Bistro...Mark @UK-Trigg , Samantha and I had drinks and a nice chat with Seth Kubersky (writer of the Unofficial Guides to Universal & WDW) last Tuesday. Seth @Skubersky said he was very impressed with the Bistro's food & drinks & recommended that we try their food. So for dinner that day we water taxied over to the Bistro before the sunset. The view is fabulous. I really like the layout with the bar and seating area flowing together, and the protective glass barriers going all the way to the floor. That gives you an uninterrupted view from everywhere. The drinks were OK. Seems they adopted a similar drink menu to the one that Thirsty Fish changed to in May. I'm not a big fan of that drink menu since I'm not crazy about cocktails.. But if you're cocktail drink oriented, this drink menu would be pretty good. The food was tasty and the prices reasonable. All three of us had Bao Buns (3 for $12) ( @Alicia take notice). They were quite good. I had a Charred Chicken small plate ($16). It exploded with taste. I loved it. Samantha had a Fried Rice ($7) bowl. She liked it and it was a nice portion for the price. Seth had recommended the Meat & Cheeseboard ($18), so Mark ordered that. It was huge and a really nice presentation. Mark liked it a lot. Mark's a really big eater, but I think two normal eaters could easily share that. Sunset was beautiful and we stayed until about 9:00 so we got to see the view in the evening. It's good but not as interesting as the daylight view. On Weds. evening we again stopped at the Bistro after we had visited the Bay Lake Tower rooftop bar/restaurant at WDW. Thus it was an easy back to back comparison. The Bay Lake bar and eating area is separated from the outside viewing area. Plus there's a fairly high wall around the perimeter so you have to walk up to the wall to see the view. I think the Bistro's layout is far superior to the one at Bay Lake Tower....Bottom line is that this is a nice addition to the Universal bubble. I'm going back there with Alene when I visit in December. In my opinion I still like Strongwater Tavern better, both drinks and overall food selection. But Bistro certainly deserves to be in the discussion for top two or three hotel bars in the Universal bubble.[/USER]

Last edited:
That's pretty standard for most hotels...
Definitely standard. I do a lot of travelling and I rarely find hotel pools that close much later than that. If I were to guess, a pool that stays open into the later hours of the night would have a much higher likelihood of people swimming while intoxicated. I love a good night swim myself but I could see how it might turn into a party atmosphere pretty quickly.

Most hotel pools close at 10pm because of the noise. People having fun in the pool tend to be pretty loud.

It also gives the overnight crew a chance to ready the pool area for the next day.

But there are some higher end hotels like The Don Cesar that keep their pools open 24 hours.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Most hotel pools close at 10pm because of the noise. People having fun in the pool tend to be pretty loud.

It also gives the overnight crew a chance to ready the pool area for the next day.

But there are some higher end hotels like The Don Cesar that keep their pools open 24 hours.
Also for safety and staffing reasons is a lot why hotels close their pools. Disney used to keep all of their pools open until there was a deadly incident.

Stayed 5 nights there last week. Had an amazing view of Volcano bay. Overall, loved it. Beds were fine, pillows AMAZING. The wok station in the food court is amazing and worth it. I loved being able to choose all the veggies. The pool was very tiny and mainly just used it to walk to Volcano bay. I loved how close it was to the Sapphire water taxi and volcano bay. Only used the shuttle twice because of this. The only negatives I would say is that the room key choosing of the rooms in the elevator takes way too much time and the drinks at Bar 17 are way overpriced for a value resort. The views up there were amazing though. It was a nice resort and never seemed crowded. It was nice that the hallways were so short and so easy to get to our room each night. Would stay again! Let me know if anyone has any questions about the resort.