Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show | Page 137 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's Cinematic Celebration Night Show

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You're curious about how the night shows run? If it's like the previous shows, it's a "start" button in a server room. The whole show is automated.
I get that there exists a "start" button, but I'd love a walk through of how it all works together from PLCs and pumps for fountains, to DMX or whatever they use for the lighting, to fireworks and video. Getting all of that to work together and in sequence is what fascinates me.

I get that there exists a "start" button, but I'd love a walk through of how it all works together from PLCs and pumps for fountains, to DMX or whatever they use for the lighting, to fireworks and video. Getting all of that to work together and in sequence is what fascinates me.
Yeah, put a creative involved in the development of a couple of shows/attractions and senior maintenance tech to lead the tour and it would be heaven for me but I am sure their time could be better spent actually doing their work.

Maybe they could have those guys train the VIP guides and infuse the knowledge of the bones behind the fun.

Reactions: shawn2
Don't know what sort of controller program it would use (I'll guess Hog until the day I die), but any multi-media "show" that doesn't rely on manual input will live by the timecode of the master audio track.

MIDI timecode runs the lighting, fireworks, and fountain controllers (which manage their own appropriate DMX channels), and runs the video server.

I've been backstage. I've been a lighting tech (though not at Universal), and my wife was a lighting tech at Universal (and Blue Man), SeaWorld, and Disney. And while I'm not trying dash your interest in the field, it's FAR less glamorous and "interesting" from an observer standpoint. Unless you're knowledgeable on what you're looking at, it's just racks and buttons and knobs.

Nevermind that a backstage tour of the Universal tech world would be ripping a veil. I've talked at length about how poorly managed the resort is - it's a bit of a fly-by-night operation. That goes triple for the techs.

(Like they still have breaker boxes in Mummy labeled for Kong...)

For those talking about the pyro quality being bad...

It's no worse than Fantasmic or Star Wars Galactic Celebration. It's actually better than those as SW and F! only use mines and comets, nothing with actual bursts.

Mines and comets (mostly what you see in cinecele) are professional grade fireworks that consumers usually can't get their hands on (and if they do, they have no clue what to do with them)

CineCele uses the same grade pyro as SeaWorld's Ignite show.

For those talking about the pyro quality being bad...

It's no worse than Fantasmic or Star Wars Galactic Celebration. It's actually better than those as SW and F! only use mines and comets, nothing with actual bursts.

Mines and comets (mostly what you see in cinecele) are professional grade fireworks that consumers usually can't get their hands on (and if they do, they have no clue what to do with them)

CineCele uses the same grade pyro as SeaWorld's Ignite show.
Were people talking about that? The only complaint I've heard is content

The pyro quality is definitely questionable... But, as much as we all know Rivers of Light has MANY issues, and is not very successful as an entertaining night spectacle, I cannot fault Disney for their creativity and innovation. They tried something new, and it doesn't work as well as they hoped.

But there isn't anything overly creative or innovative about Cinematic Celebration. It's exactly what you'd expect, a clip show on water screens with some pyro and lighting.
So you’d rather have a bad show that takes risks than a good show that doesn't?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm just looking to be entertained

So you’d rather have a bad show that takes risks than a good show that doesn't?

Hey, whatever floats your boat. I'm just looking to be entertained

I'm not saying that either, there is a time and place for anything and everything. I am able to enjoy a decent show that takes no risks. I am just saying when it comes to art, creativity, and shows I do give points for innovation and attempting something different.

The park is open until 9 that week. I'd be surprised if it wasn't
I'm wondering if they will run the show during the Holiday Celebration.

Hopefully by next year they can use the infrastructure for a Holiday show. I know it would be shades of Luminaria, DCA's not well received Holiday show, but I think using the mist screens to show "Christmas Cards" that kids draw at kiosks in the park during the day was pretty cool.

Reactions: tielo
I like this. You can theme the hell out of this pole and make it very obvious or but paint it black. This is fine.
I think being on the Wharf side near San Fran, it being a regular old black pole would seem a bit out of place considering the way everything is themed in that area, but it wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Reactions: Joel
Is there any talk of when this show will make its return after HHN? I will be there Sunday Nov 4th and was really hoping to catch a show. Slim chance I know but has anyone heard anything?