Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread | Page 377 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal's New Park/Site B Blue Sky Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney can play dirty all they want right up until 2020 when a concept art leak of the new Universal park reveals a land with an unmistakable tower and a watchful eye on top(staring at WDW no doubt) and the LotR announcement follows. BOOM goes the dynamite lol. Wishful thinking at work.

The only way Disney could actually eat part of Universals business away is to let the family friendly, snowflake, pixiefarters, overweight princess humping demographic go and grow some balls. It's what Disney doesn't have. Universal already has that part and serves them rides and ip's they want, with their next park I'm sure they focus on the demographic they don't have yet and that is the family friendly, etc. Sure there will be a bit of an edge, it's Universal, but I think they understand what market they want to get next.

Regarding Disney cleaning up their parks, it's about time. DHS, Epcot and AK never could exist on their own and see the numbers they get when they weren't part of a resort. From what I see now they are not on track on doing that successful. AK needs more rides, Avatar only had 1 good one and the total thing costed too much for what it offers, the nighttime show doesn't do what it should. Epcot doesn't need another restaurant, there are enough places to get overpriced bad food, no need for a space restaurant. Placing a Guardians coaster confuses me, sure they slam an "educational light" sticker on it making it even worse. A new lagoon show, it's about time but there are more empty buildings that needed to be filled with meaningful rides first. Slinky dog, downgraded oven that is designed in a bubble. Walt told imagineers to visit the parks, try that first and actually think about your guests as humans. And than there is Star Wars, the only thing that could get me back to the mouse but it's not like Potter from the movies but a Chinese knock off that took some familiar part and threw it together to a patchwork land I don't care about (a DJ in a cantina wtf).
In the end I hope Universal will feel the pressure, Disney sure does, it only makes things better (at Universal clearly).

Reactions: Mad Dog
For some reason, I find it interesting that UoR has been marketing their Resort sort of as a way for kids to get older and Disney has started marketing as a place where you never have to grow up.

Reactions: tielo
I think this upcoming park has things that already will set it on a much higher level than IOA and USF. I think the key thing now is the film studio/franchise managers/brand development teams on the Universal side are being way more hands on with how the IPs are going to be utilized as well as potential the level of love the creative teams for every group actually has for the IP. Add in the outside partners for FB and Nintendo, the level of oversight and potentially the scale of these projects will be unfathomable.

Disney can say and try to sabotage something but at the end of the day, if Universal puts out a ******* good project, one which master planned to perfection, with enough content for multiple visits, and at a good price point, there is nothing Disney will be able to do.

There is so much potential for this upcoming park and resort. I just hope Universal management/budget prevents them from reaching that full potential as seen in IOA.

The only way Disney could actually eat part of Universals business away is to let the family friendly, snowflake, pixiefarters, overweight princess humping demographic go and grow some balls. It's what Disney doesn't have. Universal already has that part and serves them rides and ip's they want, with their next park I'm sure they focus on the demographic they don't have yet and that is the family friendly, etc. Sure there will be a bit of an edge, it's Universal, but I think they understand what market they want to get next.

Regarding Disney cleaning up their parks, it's about time. DHS, Epcot and AK never could exist on their own and see the numbers they get when they weren't part of a resort. From what I see now they are not on track on doing that successful. AK needs more rides, Avatar only had 1 good one and the total thing costed too much for what it offers, the nighttime show doesn't do what it should. Epcot doesn't need another restaurant, there are enough places to get overpriced bad food, no need for a space restaurant. Placing a Guardians coaster confuses me, sure they slam an "educational light" sticker on it making it even worse. A new lagoon show, it's about time but there are more empty buildings that needed to be filled with meaningful rides first. Slinky dog, downgraded oven that is designed in a bubble. Walt told imagineers to visit the parks, try that first and actually think about your guests as humans. And than there is Star Wars, the only thing that could get me back to the mouse but it's not like Potter from the movies but a Chinese knock off that took some familiar part and threw it together to a patchwork land I don't care about (a DJ in a cantina wtf).
In the end I hope Universal will feel the pressure, Disney sure does, it only makes things better (at Universal clearly).
Disney won’t please you because it seems you’re only interested in making excuses to say what they’re doing now stinks when it’s the kind of build schedule we’ve been begging for for years. What Star Wars Land looks like is much more interesting than if they just copied Tatooine which, in all honesty, was pretty plain design wise.

Reactions: HPFred and Andysol
Tbh I don't see why people want one side or the other to fail, it took Potter to finally drag Disney out of its long slumber but now they are finally doing something, Pandora was the first big thing they have done in a long time and from what I have been hearing from various insiders SW:GE is probably the most ambitious thing they have ever done. Whatever Disney does it will only push Universal to come up with more stuff so its a win win for the theme park fan.

Disney can play dirty all they want right up until 2020 when a concept art leak of the new Universal park reveals a land with an unmistakable tower and a watchful eye on top(staring at WDW no doubt) and the LotR announcement follows. BOOM goes the dynamite lol. Wishful thinking at work.

Tbh, I can still see LOTR coming to the new park. Insiders have been wrong before. However, the chances of it being there are pretty low.

You guys all mention things that already exist. I would like to see new ride vehicles and systems. Variations on current rides no one has tough about.
- a trackless water ride with caves, show scene's and different hills and drops.
- a choose your adventure dark ride where at each junction the guests in the vehicle decide where to go next.
- a stand-up hanging coaster with swinging vehicles.
- a ride that goes from a simulated plane crash/drop tower ride into a real roller coaster like car chase into a boat race.
- a flatride that integrates a video game on the area around it.
- a drop tower with robot arms on the side and a great story.
- a show where the whole theater is a screens (no projection) and can change in pre-defined shapes that adapts to the story in the show.
- a show that uses an underwater viewing area with indoor skydiving tubes inside.
Nice, out of the box thinking. If we could get 1 or 2 of those, that would be incredible.

I expect multi level, vertical building. PhantasiaLand does that kind off well but they work from an existing park. If you build something new it could even be more intricate. I think the development of Nintendo World (an evolution from Diagon Alley) triggered the creative juices. In the end this will make the footprint smaller but adds entertainment value. It also helps creating shade, kinetic movement in the lands, sound barriers and ugly view lines from silly high carnival rides on Idrive.
I have been frustrated by Diagon Alley and all the empty space in the higher levels of the buildings that is unused (or doesn't exist but could have been build). What if you could actually sit and eat your ice cream at Florean Fortescue on the first floor watching the people below? Why not an upper level in Carkit to view the shows from with a nice beer.
What if there actually was a restaurant in Hogwarts at the top of the ride building instead of an empty shell. A magical elevator/floo powder fireplace to bring you to the top. No needs for real windows because of projections but it could add a whole restaurant on top of a ride if you add that to your design. The extra building costs will be offset by more space for hotel rooms, an extra boutique park etc.
200w.webp

Again, nice. Your posts are extremely underrated. Lots of great ideas. Most won't be done, but at least your ideas aren't just things that have already been done and you're actually bringing new concepts to the table.

What id like to see in the new park
  • A ride that can bypass any showscene in case of maintenance or updates
  • Indoor rides that matches the time of day/weather in real time.
  • A dark ride that picks up the ride vehicle for certain scenes.
  • Queues that build up the story slowly from the start rather than saving it all for load when nobody's paying attention.

That would be fantastic!

A whole park, where you HAVE to return to the "hub" in order to move from land to land, has never been done.

Hmm... I wonder why? :)

I did like your "petal" mockup though, would be very difficult to pull off and maybe be unsuccessful as a whole. But as individual lands, I think it would be really interesting.

But what I could see is a park that has his lands connected via a horizontal people move like system to get around. Transference from 1 land to the other will go trough almost dark ride scenery to get into the mood.
This could even reduce the size of the hub or even the need of one.

How amazing would this be? It would also allow @Legacy "Petal" concept to flow much more efficiently, while essentially adding a new B ticket for every land.

You mean Walt Disney Imagineering? Oriental Land Company was essentially the investor for DisneySea. Imagineering got lucky with a large budget.

Proof of what Imagineering can do when they don't have corporate in their way and allow them to fully realize their concepts without budget cuts. More often than not, Comcast and Disney are the biggest limiting factors.

I had heard that a fair number of the extremely negative Tripadvisor reviews for Volcano Bay originated in some office in Celebration. So it's not beyond Disney to play dirty.

Lol... How?!? Someone at Trip Advisor tipped you off? Color me skeptical.

Reactions: therock and tielo
That would be Universal's worst nightmare to have Disney aquire the rights to Harry Potter and buy Warner Bros properties I think Uni should stick with WB IMO. Universal is trying to add more Warner Bros properties which I also read on Alicia Stella article on UUO Podcast.

That would be Universal's worst nightmare to have Disney aquire the rights to Harry Potter and buy Warner Bros properties I think Uni should stick with WB IMO. Universal is trying to add more Warner Bros properties which I also read on Alicia Stella article on UUO Podcast.
Just for the record JK Rowling wanted to put Potter at Disney first but didn’t like the deal they gave her so Universal is probably going to be the only place you can find HP and FB stuff if it gets built.

Reactions: HPFred and therock
Just for the record JK Rowling wanted to put Potter at Disney first but didn’t like the deal they gave her so Universal is probably going to be the only place you can find HP and FB stuff if it gets built.
Let’s be honest JK Rowling didn’t want to put Potter at Disney. Disney wanted Potter and approached JK Rowling for the movie rights. Disney wanted control with Rowling being limited in her control. She quickly showed them a picture of kite and offered a suggestion of a windy park near by.

Warner Brothers gave Rowling what she wanted and it was a brilliant move. With the first movie a hit Disney actually approached Rowling again to leave WB, she gave Disney a coupon book for the local kite shop, and the contract to WB was steadfast. So Disney actually contemplated buying Scholastic(the publisher) but realized that 6+ billion for a publisher, when the industry was in a steep decline, would be bad.

Disney in one last move tried to secure the theme park right and had several meetings with Rowling which came to a head in Orlando when Rowling became so fed up that she stormed out of Disney’s office and went straight to their biggest competitor in Orlando, Universal and yeah let’s just say Universal, smartly, gave in to what Rowling wanted and BOOM!

It was at this point I believe Rowling actually sent a shipment of Kites to Disney’s office with a giant air fan and a letter saying ENJOY!!!

So thinking Rowling would revisit with Disney over anything I find to be laughable. She feels now what Tolkien always felt, “Disney? F$&k Disney!”

Status
Not open for further replies.