What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disneyland)

Nearmaps has a better aerial shot, and man it looks great.

DppH0x9UYAAckiJ.jpg

Let me say this, is there REALLY a need to call Galaxy's Edge a Pottah Swatter?

This is, the same way Diagon is to Star Wars, to how Pandora was to Hogsmeade. And while I do think this is going to be outstanding, the comparison game is going to lead to nowhere. Especially, if Disney's overcharge bite's them (and if it's just as bad as Orlando's price increase).

I love not being a fanboy. Because now I have 2 great destinations to enjoy. Instead of blind loyalty to a company that barely knows I exist.
I’m a fanboy of theme parks. As I’ve noted, I prefer Universal now but that may change and I still love Disney. A lot has to do with discovering Universal and breaking with Disney after most my life(parents are obsessed with Disney). Now me and my family(wife and daughter) consider ourselves a Universal family cause they showed they can can stand toe toe with Disney and not blink. With that said we will not even be doing Universal this year and will be at Disneyland in a little over a week. We love theme parks in general.

With Star Wars: Galaxies Edge we get Disney’s response then Universal answers with Nintendo and Disney with Marvel and God willing Universal pulls the white buffalo and we see LotR. Either way I’m excited for the future.

Shout out to SeaWorld also on the comeback trail.

Now back to to Star Wars: Galaxies Edge super excited and see you in 2 years, at Disneys Hollywood Studios though. 2020, Orlando, 2+ weeks, yes sir!

This is, the same way Diagon is to Star Wars, to how Pandora was to Hogsmeade. And while I do think this is going to be outstanding, the comparison game is going to lead to nowhere. Especially, if Disney's overcharge bite's them (and if it's just as bad as Orlando's price increase).

My man, why is that everything I say offends you? We are talking about theme parks after all, not geopolitics.

I love not being a fanboy. Because now I have 2 great destinations to enjoy. Instead of blind loyalty to a company that barely knows I exist.

Competition is a good thing. Universal did a great thing with WWOHP, which then prompted Disney to create SWL. We all win in the end. (Though I do get a Universal Fanboy vibe from you ;))

I’m a fanboy of theme parks. As I’ve noted, I prefer Universal now but that may change and I still love Disney. A lot has to do with discovering Universal and breaking with Disney after most my life(parents are obsessed with Disney). Now me and my family(wife and daughter) consider ourselves a Universal family cause they showed they can can stand toe toe with Disney and not blink. With that said we will not even be doing Universal this year and will be at Disneyland in a little over a week. We love theme parks in general.

With Star Wars: Galaxies Edge we get Disney’s response then Universal answers with Nintendo and Disney with Marvel and God willing Universal pulls the white buffalo and we see LotR. Either way I’m excited for the future.

Shout out to SeaWorld also on the comeback trail.

Now back to to Star Wars: Galaxies Edge super excited and see you in 2 years, at Disneys Hollywood Studios though. 2020, Orlando, 2+ weeks, yes sir!

I like the cut of your jib. Also consider myself a theme/amusement park fanboy.

I love it all. USH, DL, DCA, SFMM, Knotts, Seaworld. Hell, I even love Belmont Park, Safari Park, SD Zoo. It's a major reason why I choose to live and love CA.

My man, why is that everything I say offends you? We are talking about theme parks after all, not geopolitics.

Competition is a good thing. Universal did a great thing with WWOHP, which then prompted Disney to create SWL. We all win in the end. (Though I do get a Universal Fanboy vibe from you ;))
I think calling him “being offended” is kind of a stretch if he disagrees with your point. He also brings up an interesting point as well....

Disney better be really careful here. Yes, it’s the largest expansion in DL proper’s history, but if they’re not careful, I could see a repeat of Wizarding World opening in Hollywood of not being nearly as popular as expected. That and another BIG factor...

Star Wars has been under a lot of fire from its fans lately with TLJ, Solo and Resistance. If they keep going down the path they’re going, I could see enough of them boycotting to make at least a small dent in their expected attendance.

I find Universal the more interesting place to discuss. Moreso the development of Hollywood and its unique struggles I find incredibly fascinating. I am at Disney and Knott's much more than I visit Universal though.

Kinda sucks how unbalanced DL will be after SWGE. DL should have added something to the right side of the park to have somewhat of an effect on crowds. Hoping that the Fantasyand/Tomorrowland updates in the next couple of years balance the park again.

Kinda sucks how unbalanced DL will be after SWGE. DL should have added something to the right side of the park to have somewhat of an effect on crowds. Hoping that the Fantasyand/Tomorrowland updates in the next couple of years balance the park again.
plus...now there will be a really large imbalance with DCA, especially with the Marvel rides seeming to be delayed far off into the future, if ever.

plus...now there will be a really large imbalance with DCA, especially with the Marvel rides seeming to be delayed far off into the future, if ever.

I think Pixar Pier was their sad attempt at "balancing" the two parks. I love DCA but recent changes (Frozen, Pixar Pier) definitely has changed my position.

In a genuine sense, in what way does it seem that I am offended by what you say? And why do you think I'm going on a geopolitical standpoint, when I compare the likes of other things Disney & Universal that have been done?

The reason why I compared GE to Diagon, is imply that on an immersive level; this is without a doubt, one of the biggest endeavors that Disney has done, and is aiming for that level of enclosing you into that world. In a similar way, that's why I compared Pandora from Animal Kingdom, to Hogsmeade.

My concern with Galaxy's Edge, lies in that I think WDI may be going to extremes to ensure that happening (such as the 1 billion budget for each), and that I have a large amount of concern that this is going to bite them more than what is expected.

Alongside if they continue to confuse and alienate the GA on the ticketing system, this may turn out to be as problematic as how Hogsmeade was for USH.

Not to mention, that I would even argue that Disney needs to do more than improve the flow of the streets to keep guests satisfied.

In a genuine sense, in what way does it seem that I am offended by what you say? And why do you think I'm going on a geopolitical standpoint, when I compare the likes of other things Disney & Universal that have been done?

The reason why I compared GE to Diagon, is imply that on an immersive level; this is without a doubt, one of the biggest endeavors that Disney has done, and is aiming for that level of enclosing you into that world. In a similar way, that's why I compared Pandora from Animal Kingdom, to Hogsmeade.

My concern with Galaxy's Edge, lies in that I think WDI may be going to extremes to ensure that happening (such as the 1 billion budget for each), and that I have a large amount of concern that this is going to bite them more than what is expected.

Alongside if they continue to confuse and alienate the GA on the ticketing system, this may turn out to be as problematic as how Hogsmeade was for USH.

Not to mention, that I would even argue that Disney needs to do more than improve the flow of the streets to keep guests satisfied.

I'm just saying that you seem to take issue with everything I say. Not really sure why.

The reason why I call it a Potter-Swatter is actually a major compliment to Universal. I don't believe that Disney has created anything on the level of WWOHP, in terms of cultural impact, financial success, and innovative land design. Some might argue Pandora, but I would argue otherwise.

This will be the 1st land created by Disney, that will actually reach the heights and surpass Harry Potter, which is something to be excited about.

My hope is that SNW will then surpass SWL and become the new gold standard. We shall see.

In regards to price point, the current pricing model doesn't seem to be scaring off the crowds too much. I mean we all know a major price increase is coming. Like, a BIG ONE. Will it deter the crowds? Nah.

Ok color me confused when it comes to WWoHP at Hollywood and that it wasn’t as big as they were expecting, what? The boy wizard has increased attendance at Universal Studios Hollywood from just over 7million in 2015(pre Potter) to over 9million in 2017(post Potter) that is a 28 percent increase in 2 years(actually only a year and a half) I mean my god what more could you want.

To put that into perspective if Disneyland grows by the same standard as Potter, which some say was not enough but whatever, we will see Disneyland have an annual increase of over/under 5.2 million visitors by 2021 which would see there annual visitors hit almost 24million. That is an average daily of over 65,000 thousand people and I mean wow pretty much hitting capacity(over)every single day of the year.

Food for thought, now carry on.

Sorry, not to derail...but is it really a "Potter Swatter' it's like 10 years later?
If anything Potter "upped" the game significantly for theme park additions to come.
Technically ALL major projects since could be attributed to UOR's success in bringing a popular IP to a park.
Star Wars land won't make Potter land any less popular with guests.