Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

I think they need another big AAA water attraction, with some real theme work, and maybe some more generic rides.

You don't just build a "basic" slide anymore. Even if it's needed for capacity.

I think they need another big AAA water attraction, with some real theme work, and maybe some more generic rides.

You don't just build a "basic" slide anymore. Even if it's needed for capacity.
While the capacity is needed, I definitely agree with you, especially with Universal’s branding of “water THEME park”. Hopefully we get an attraction that delivers both.

While the capacity is needed, I definitely agree with you, especially with Universal’s branding of “water THEME park”. Hopefully we get an attraction that delivers both.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think this project was a big let down for what it "could" have been. Maybe I bought into the marketing a bit too much, but I expected a lot more.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I still think this project was a big let down for what it "could" have been. Maybe I bought into the marketing a bit too much, but I expected a lot more.
I’ve yet to go, but it does seem to be a situation of overpromising and underdelivering. If they had simply marketed this as a great water park instead of some kind of big game-changer, they would’ve been in good shape.

I have this itching feeling we are going to get 3 or 4 bare bones body slides on a tower put back there that will be "any-time" to go along with Taniwa tubes. Both shoved in a corner to take some of the capacity for those waiting for their Tapu Tapu time to come up.

It makes sense, but it's a total letdown for folks like us.

My thinking, is that it'll be a expandable slide structure; with the first slide being a large raft family attraction of some kind, along with a small set of lockers for the first phase. Then after that, we see that rumored TornadoWave that I think was talked about..

I am sounding like a scratched record, but the original expansion plans had the option of yet another water coaster. Do you think they might have canned that idea for something with greater capacity?

(i don’t know if the current coaster is considered good capacity or not)

I am sounding like a scratched record, but the original expansion plans had the option of yet another water coaster. Do you think they might have canned that idea for something with greater capacity?

(i don’t know if the current coaster is considered good capacity or not)

Was it only a water coaster or did it have more?

I would say that capacity is clearly the most important thing for them right now.

Keep in mind that when those original expansion plans were made, VB hadn’t even opened yet. Since it opened, we know that thorough put was significantly less than proslides projections.
So I would bet anything the expansion plans changed simply because they were working with bad information. Capacity has to be increased in their eyes just to get VB to the numbers they originally wanted.

Last edited:
Was it only a water coaster or did it have more?

I would say that capacity is clearly the most important thing for them right now.

Keep in mind that when those original expansion plans were made, VB hadn’t even opened yet. Since it opened, we know that thorough put was significantly less than proslides projections.
So I would bet anything the expansion plans changed simply because they were working with bad information. Capacity has to be increased in their eyes just to get VB to the numbers they originally wanted.
Yes. VB's capacity issues has had a negative effect on the entire resort's attendance/revenue projections. It really needs addressed....soon.

Yes. VB's capacity issues has had a negative effect on the entire resort's attendance/revenue projections. It really needs addressed....soon.

How so? Did they think the park would "hold" more people, and Tapu Tapu failed, so they had to restrict capacity?

IMO they need another coaster and a few generic slide complexes.

How so? Did they think the park would "hold" more people, and Tapu Tapu failed, so they had to restrict capacity?

Tapu Tapu failed and hurt capacity, and ProSlide oversold the capacity of the rides. They messed up in some way and really strict weight restrictions went on the slides. I honestly am surprised Universal hasn't sued ProSlide

Yes the Tapu Tapu did hurt the park but I’m not sure enough to warrant full removal. I think people are being a little dramatic on how “unsuccessful” VB was considering regardless of the issues it does see decent crowds still. This expansion is very much needed but some of you are acting like the park is in dire straits.

Yes the Tapu Tapu did hurt the park but I’m not sure enough to warrant full removal. I think people are being a little dramatic on how “unsuccessful” VB was considering regardless of the issues it does see decent crowds still. This expansion is very much needed but some of you are acting like the park is in dire straits.
Multiple sources have told me that not hitting their projected numbers has hurt the resort as a whole, and even led to some of the cost-cutting measures we've seen. Yea, it sees decent crowds, and even hits capacity during season, but that "capacity" is apparently not what they were hoping it would be, so they're seeing that as losses of potential earnings based on (inaccurate) projections made before it opened.

Multiple sources have told me that not hitting their projected numbers has hurt the resort as a whole, and even led to some of the cost-cutting measures we've seen. Yea, it sees decent crowds, and even hits capacity during season, but that "capacity" is apparently not what they were hoping it would be, so they're seeing that as losses of potential earnings based on (inaccurate) projections made before it opened.

Right. VB is not outright failing, but it is not doing what they wanted.