Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

I would imagine they would want to keep it directly to one rendition, in order to keep rights safe..

I am curious to see how the Lights on Experience for ST impacts the event, in at-least how they'll schedule staff around with that.

I genuinely liked Bill and Ted, in the moment and in retrospect. There were some genuinely good jokes and musical numbers. In comparison to something like The Hanging, it was The Godfather. Costumes, sets, impersonators, actors -- all better. The Hanging may be something that might've been better in my memory, considering how bad it is now and if it was anywhere near that bad back than, then I'm ashamed my teenage mind liked it in the first place. But Bill and Ted was classy and good fun by those standards. Were they all winners? Did every joke land? Nah, but it is sorely... sorely missed. I still get aches when I pass by the Castle Theatre thinking about what once was. For me and my friends, Bill and Ted was always one of the main highlights of the night. I have a friend who literally stopped going after they cancelled it because that was his only reason to go. That level of fun, comedy, irreverence, and pop culture mash up of the year was just the right thing HHN needed to make it a hit, and topped off every trip on such a perfect note (I always saw the last showing).

God, I really do miss it. With legitimate pain in my heart, I miss it with every fiber of my being!!!

If they combined it with the original would it fit a maze? That property’s theme music just translates directly to a haunt

Edit: On another after rewatching H2018 they could’ve easily done the maze this year. The trailers showed just enough to where it would’ve not spoiled the ending but the maze would be pretty confusing. If it comes next year though, we’re in for a treat

It's not even a character issue; I think that, on a character basis, there are enough scares and scenes to work with. It'd be a short maze, maybe, but it'd have huge sets and big scenes, nothing impossible.

It's just...spoilers i guess, nothing explicit, but it can take the shock away from some scenes.

nudity. Tons and tons and tons of it. Everywhere you look. Villains and good guys. Men and women. Everywhere.

Suspiria 77 honestly would be better as a maze. More material to work with, easier to translate scenes, and the potential for some fun 3d foolery. Use Hereditary for the big indie arthouse maze next year, Suspiria is either gonna offend everyone or make everyone scream "they gutted the content!"

Finally got to see Halloween. Really liked it. I feel like it can easily be the "budget house" for the event. I foresee them reusing a TON of stuff.

-The gas station is for sure where they're going to start off at. Looks like that gas station facade for Halloween 4 is going to get a light paint job for the facade. I can see them adding the jaw-smashed attendant.
-The interior of the workshop will get reused to show the killed mechanic.
-That crashed school bus from TrT will likely be reused for the crashed bus/escaped inmates scene.
-Those walls and mannequins from the First Purge will get reused for Laurie's house.
-Those sheets from H4 will get reused for Vicki's front yard.
-Some props from Insidious for the baby crib and that mother's house who got smashed with the hammer.
-Wooden fences and house props from the H4 house for the transitions and Vicki's house.
I'm sure it'll be good, but thinking like Murdy, I know exactly how it's going to turn out.

Finally got to see Halloween. Really liked it. I feel like it can easily be the "budget house" for the event. I foresee them reusing a TON of stuff.

-The gas station is for sure where they're going to start off at. Looks like that gas station facade for Halloween 4 is going to get a light paint job for the facade. I can see them adding the jaw-smashed attendant.
-The interior of the workshop will get reused to show the killed mechanic.
-That crashed school bus from TrT will likely be reused for the crashed bus/escaped inmates scene.
-Those walls and mannequins from the First Purge will get reused for Laurie's house.
-Those sheets from H4 will get reused for Vicki's front yard.
-Some props from Insidious for the baby crib and that mother's house who got smashed with the hammer.
-Wooden fences and house props from the H4 house for the transitions and Vicki's house.
I'm sure it'll be good, but thinking like Murdy, I know exactly how it's going to turn out.

As long as they have the
Mannequin Scene, Laurie’s house, the guacamole kid impaled on the fence, and Vicki’s kid’s animal Bedroom with the ghost sheet and the pumpkin and the aquarium. Those alone would make the house great

Hate to break it to y'all. Halloween is probably not gonna happen for a long time, probably ever. Thanks to a little production company that rhymes with "LiraWax".

But why would they not let HHN have it, they can’t use spoilers as an excuse for future years. Unless they’re still bitter over Scream in Orlando

Hate to break it to y'all. Halloween is probably not gonna happen for a long time, probably ever. Thanks to a little production company that rhymes with "LiraWax".
IF that’s the case, I’m totally fine with that. Now there’s a slot open for something totally new.

As much as I wouldn’t mind seeing a house out of it, I’m kinda burned out on Michael anyway.

But they're under new management now? I thought that'd make them more pliable.

As long as they have the
Mannequin Scene, Laurie’s house, the guacamole kid impaled on the fence, and Vicki’s kid’s animal Bedroom with the ghost sheet and the pumpkin and the aquarium. Those alone would make the house great

I'd think that all those scenes would be in a hypothetical maze:

Laurie's House and the Mannequin room is so obvious it's jaw dropping, the closet scene is in every trailer and every piece of promotion, and the guacamole kid would be so easy to do it wouldn't even be funny (just a short transition hallway with Michael popping out the side. EZ PZ

I will say this: Any hypothetical Halloween maze NEEDS the song that plays during the "fence" scene. That has got to be the best song I've heard in a movie this year. That inception style BWAAAMMM sound could be the scare-trigger sound.

EDIT: If they do end up doing Halloween, though, I'd be happy that they waited. There are scenes in that movie that didn't show up in the trailers (specifically towards the ending) that would make the maze feel incomplete if they were missing.

Last edited:
I want this song to play in the queue:

Dr. Loomis' monologue in the background...
Michael murdering a Station Attendant in the background...
This song blaring in the background...

I'm sorry to get into speculation so prematurely, but with H40 apparently not happening due to MiraMax drama, this brings up a current dilema HHN/Murdy are in now...

Murdy insists that HHN be all about movie-based/IP houses. We all knew this would happen eventually, but he's now at the point to where they've run out of properties to do....at least properties that he wants to or practically can do. This result has been accelerated now with WB now being more stingy with their IPs. They can't do any WB properties (That includes the big three), Michael Myers is out (again, supposedly), and they've done all of the big ones already. The only heavily-requested properties left to tackle are Hellraiser and Scream (Neither of which are really IPs Murdy seems to be eager to do). There's also Resident Evil, but I don't think Murdy is anxious to spend a lot of time playing all of those games. The only reason he did Silent Hill a while back was because he could cheat by basing it on the awful movie.

So yeah, Murdy has inevitably backed himself into a corner. While there still are a few movies left that I likely see happening next year (The Thing, Killer Klowns), he will either have to hope and pray that another big IP comes into fruition for him to do (Which he seems to have lucked out with Hill House), or focus more on original content. There's also the fact that Uni may force him to do a house on one of their more recent movies like they did with Blumhouse (Happy Death Day, anyone?). They can't possibly do Purge or Insidious again as they have both been milked dry; especially Purge. You realize the Purge has been at the event every. single. year. since 2013? That's six straight years of Purging. I think it's time to move on.

I really hope this dilemma forces Murdy to design more original houses. I know he said he wanted to design a "deep sea" themed house on Twitter; I would love to see his rendition on that. But knowing this event, they'll probably rehash Insidious or Purge to fill those open slots. This event is in dire need of some creativity and new blood. No matter what new properties they do, all of the houses feel the same. Same scares, same sound effects, same distraction-scare formula, same reused props, same black wallz.....Whether Murdy steps down or not, something needs to be done. Change must happen, and I hope this will force them to be more creative with their unfulfilled slots instead of doing Insidious or Purge for the 38574th time.

Even though H2018 is now out of the question, what about Halloween 5? Back when they announced Halloween 4 Murdy mentioned something along the lines about wanting to continue the storyline of Michael and I think H5 is the last movie that can be done without worrying about IP-related issues, as i think Dimension owned the rights for H6 and forward.

Even though H2018 is now out of the question, what about Halloween 5? Back when they announced Halloween 4 Murdy mentioned something along the lines about wanting to continue the storyline of Michael and I think H5 is the last movie that can be done without worrying about IP-related issues, as i think Dimension owned the rights for H6 and forward.
Those movies are no longer cannon. Why even do the other terrible sequels?

To be clear, I'm under the impression that several of the Michael Myers sequels are still available for potential use. It's the original Halloween and the reboot that are off limits. Universal also has a claim to Michael Myers himself thanks to Halloween II (which they have a stake in), hence his continued appearance in the Special Effects Show; they could, if they so desired, pursue an original take on the character so long as it didn't skew too close to Halloween or the reboot (which is... tricky). It's how they're able to continue using Chucky despite MGM's claim on the original film; it's also why almost all Chucky merchandise is branded as "Child's Play 2" (i.e. Universal's film) in the fine print.

As far as canon - look, we did Halloween 4 in a year where that plot was explicitly rendered moot. They care about Michael Myers on the poster more than anything else.

I otherwise tend to agree with Freak's assessment that something is going to need to give. For now, the Insidious film franchise is done - Leigh isn't interested in making more, though I suppose they could pursue sequels without him (though I don't believe any are imminent). Unfortunately, we're probably going to see more Purge, either in the form of the next sequel (which is absolutely happening) or the ongoing television series. The lawsuit concerning creative authorship could potentially impact those efforts, but for now, the siren will continue to ring.

Happy Death Day seems like an obvious choice for a maze. I would expect it next year.

I also wouldn't rule out (deep breath) a CryptTV attraction, whether it be a scare zone (perhaps the Gauntlet) or one of the smaller maze venues. Blumhouse has invested in the company and through Universal has a deep relationship with its content slate, with the shorts appearing on the Terror Tram and on screens in the Metro Sets; it's extremely popular amongst tweens (a demographic Universal continues to court with Stranger Things), so it's absolutely not out of the question.

Monsters cost a lot of money. I would expect that maze to return, in a new reconfigured location, with additional characters (Creature from the Black Lagoon, Nosferatu) and other changes (probably fewer Phantoms and an actual scare for Bride).

Stranger Things Season 2 is a given, though I'm deeply curious how Hollywood intends to execute a maze so dependent on puppets; AWIL was pretty hit or miss, and this maze needs to be a slam dunk.

I’ve seen a lot of requests for ST2, Haunting of Hill House, H2018(lol), Silence of the Lambs and The Thing. Some other ones that popped up here and there were IT, Conjuring, Suspiria, Hellraiser, Scream, and a few others.

That said if we hypothetically did get a Happy Death Day maze I’d be totally fine with it. HDD2U looks pretty good and should be a hit and it won’t be as controversial as TFP

Edit - Totally forgot but La Llarona and UCM are also pretty requested too. So if it’s just the reboot and OG Halloween that can’t be used what about H20? That’s regarded as one of the less “meh” sequels and has Jamie Lee Curtis