Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2018 (USH) General Discussion

I've been watching "The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina" and it's a shame that it's through WB because it's got way darker content than "Stranger Things" and some beautiful sets.

OK guys. Let's be honest. Did you guys like Stranger Things? I was personally against it but didn't mind it, despite the popularity for it. But was it worth it in the end? I personally thought that while incredibly scenic, was more fan service than scares. Orlando's looked way betters and ours looked like a walk through attraction. Personally, I wouldn't want it back.

Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but a lot of these environments perfectly show Twin Peaks could work at HHN.

OK guys. Let's be honest. Did you guys like Stranger Things? I was personally against it but didn't mind it, despite the popularity for it. But was it worth it in the end? I personally thought that while incredibly scenic, was more fan service than scares. Orlando's looked way betters and ours looked like a walk through attraction. Personally, I wouldn't want it back.

Also, I know I'm beating a dead horse, but a lot of these environments perfectly show Twin Peaks could work at HHN.
I didn't really like it. Opening night I did but the more I think about it the more I dislike it. Some Scenic is really nice and some of it is just terrible. All of the scenic (aside from the Black walls) in Universal Monsters is a million times better than Stranger Things.

There's tons of problems with it the lack of the facade (Could have the Opening Titles on a Projector), not enough Upside Down, lack of scares (Could be to attract fans but I disagree), lack of characters/Dustin Mannequin, and the compact feel of it and how it feels like it could have been in a tent (Aside from the Lab scene). AVP from 2014/15 felt like a Soundstage maze with all of the puppets and huge scenes and effects. Stranger Things doesn't really feel like that or like it couldn't have just been the same in a tent.

Personally yes and no Season 2 has a lot more content and a lot of puppets (Which the last maze that was very puppet based was Krampus and that was amazing) but they really could mess all that up.

For how much they really hype up Stranger Things and how it's supposed to be the highlight of the whole event it isn't that good it's just okay.

I liked it, but didn't love it. To me, it wasn't really a traditional "scares" based maze. Those expecting the typical scares of HHN would be pretty disappointed, to be sure. And while I did enjoy many sets, it also felt like there were many missed opportunities. Like, this was one time he could've used black walls thematically for the Upside Down, and he really didn't.

I haven't seen Orlando's version, so I can't compare them.

I liked it, but didn't love it. To me, it wasn't really a traditional "scares" based maze. Those expecting the typical scares of HHN would be pretty disappointed, to be sure. And while I did enjoy many sets, it also felt like there were many missed opportunities. Like, this was one time he could've used black walls thematically for the Upside Down, and he really didn't.

I haven't seen Orlando's version, so I can't compare them.
Orlando’s version 71BB16CA-A3A5-4968-83C8-F2CD1ACA230D.jpeg

It’s ranks #5 for me behind H4, Poltergeist, UCM & Blumhouse. It’s really pretty but it felt like I was watching the show. In Orlando’s I felt like I was in the show and I was genuinely unnerved

They also did the Upside Down & actual Demogorgans much better. Our classroom scene was better though

As a TV show, I loved loved loved Season 2 way more than Season 1, so personally I wanted to see that represented in maze form since the announcement, and hearing it was only based on Season 1, I was disappointed. I was VERY against Stranger Things coming to HHN and when seeing the maze... it was exactly what I feared. With that said, I'm open to season 2. I think it has a lot more to work with and they have a chance to make it up for those disappointed with the season 1 maze. I know they listen to the complaints and read the forums, so I have faith the next maze will amp it up. UNLESS there's a survey out there with people saying they like that it wasn't too scary. Then we're screwed.

I was honestly fine with this maze not being the scariest but I wish it was longer for being a soundstage Maze. In all honesty I thought AHS Roanoke felt more grand aside from the Hawkins Lab facade and the Byers House.

And to nitpick a few other things the Demogorgans needed better costumes and boo holes, they were pretty obvious and their suits were too bright compared to Orlando’s. Also needed more of the kids and more Upside Down in the maze. But aside from that I thought it was a pretty house that looked like the show and matched the shows tone but just... kinda felt more like an experience. A lot like SAW last year but with actual scares this time

I was not on the "OMG we need Stranger Things" bandwagon, and the maze gave me exactly what I thought it would a mild maze with no sense of impending dread.

Poltergeist was my fav followed by UCM. I went through ToT once almost alone and the cast got their second wind so it would be my #3.

I honestly thought it was fine. Maybe it's cause all 3 times we went through it my group got pretty much each scare, but it honestly had all the scenes I was expecting to see from season 1. I understand the criticism for the Demogorgon costume, in terms of coloring and where some scares could happen though. I even expected some black hallways in the Upside Down section tbh. With season 2 being a most likely thing next year, I'm wondering how the puppetry for the Demodogs will be executed, since those things, and the Mind Flayer, are the main antagonists, and if memory serves correctly, I don't even think the bipedal Demogorgon appeared in that season.

From what I've seen online and heard from folks who went to Orlando's, it was GREAT. Over here, it was pretty under-utilized. Scare spots were too obvious, casting for the characters was very underutilized, effects for the particles sucks, demigorgon should've been a puppet....it could've been better. I will say I liked the scenic for the cabin and the lab though. While I thought it was okay for the first time, I liked it less and less for each walkthrough.

So in short: In Florida, yes. Here.....eh.....I guess?

To be honest, I don't really care all that much about what Orlando does. Let's be real... 95% of the people who visit Hollywood HHN don't go to Orlando, so they have nothing to compare. Even myself, as a pretty big HHN and amusement park fan, have only been to Orlando's HHN once (last year). It's just not in my budget or schedule. So to keep saying "Orlando does this/that" is great as a philosophical debate, but it doesn't really have any serious impact on what happens in Hollywood, especially the GP guests... many of whom have grown up around not only HHN but also Knott's, Fright Fest, Dark Harbor, and a ton of quality independent haunts. It's a totally different ballgame.

Besides, the few times I've popped in on the Orlando HHN threads, they have just as much to complain about as we do... it's just different things (understaffing of scare actors, enormous lines, no extensions to HHN dates--just on the last few pages). The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Last edited:
And then on top of that, the thoughts of the people on forums vs. the thoughts of the general population... there's also some hive thinking here, creating some bias opinions. I go to Yelp, Facebook, Instagram, etc for a consensus to see what the real outlook on each year is. And even that is another small portion.

Anyone know if the final weekend will be discounted? I checked last year's email and it was released on Wednesday, Nov 1st at 9:49PM. Do you think it'll be a similar situation? Makes sense since that's after Halloween, but since Halloween is Wednesday, would Thursday be too late for them to announce it? I'm really hoping the price goes down to $45-55 for Saturday, since last year it was $49.
Oddly enough: 2015 - $48 | 2016 - $58 | 2017 - $49
I guess the price could be anywhere between there or even up to $64

Last edited: