Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they continue to diversify their offerings in both parks. I really enjoy a park that is well themed and gives a good offering of family rides, coasters, dark rides and water rides. I think these coming coaster (if JP happens) additions to IOA will make it the best all around park in Orlando.
Now if they could create more balance at the Studio park they would really be onto something.

I just hope they continue to diversify their offerings in both parks. I really enjoy a park that is well themed and gives a good offering of family rides, coasters, dark rides and water rides. I think these coming coaster (if JP happens) additions to IOA will make it the best all around park in Orlando.
Now if they could create more balance at the Studio park they would really be onto something.

Not to mention that they're building Zelda right next to Hogsmeade, and we might see a overhaul of Toon Lagoon in the near future.

Second episode of my podcast we dive into the Jurassic rumors a bit more, and I included lots of photos in the video version (below). Jurassic stuff specifically starts about halfway through, (the first part is talking about all the other coasters on their way to Central Florida).

Before my time posting here I think as a naive young man.

Imagine if Grinch is a huge hit and they green light the mountain coaster.
I’d love Universal to finally make a mountain coaster. Maybe it could be so grand it’ll draw all my attention away from the eyesore at JP :whoo:
YUP. Called this one awhile ago we’d wrap back around to it. And before that people were complaining about Universal rides being only major thrill dark rides and broke down all the time.

It’s why I don’t pay much mind to the coaster debate as it’s trite and shows the goal posts get moved very frequently for Universal.
No moving of goal posts, I’ve been pretty consistent since the beginning.

Second episode of my podcast we dive into the Jurassic rumors a bit more, and I included lots of photos in the video version (below). Jurassic stuff specifically starts about halfway through, (the first part is talking about all the other coasters on their way to Central Florida).

This is hands down my new favorite theme park podcast! Keep up the good work!

Not sure if this is a smart decision by Universal to build another thrill coaster. Maybe a coaster more like the new Potter coaster would have been better. I think its OK to let Sea World and Busch Gardens be the place to go for coasters.

As someone who doesn't live in Florida, I can't see why this is a good decision. They made an increase in money with Harry Potter because the IP encourages fans of all ages to want to visit the park. They also were able to advertise things for the kids.

I know someone said that Universal should not be like Disney. Financially, it is smart to be more like Disney. Disney attracts out-of-towners to visit Florida. Roller coasters do not attract out of towners, especially since majority of those out of towners are visiting the parks for their kids (usually younger kids) and lets face it there are local parks with roller coasters almost everywhere.

The only way I could think this was a smart decision is if they did truly get a 2 for 1 deal with Intamin. I am a fan of roller coasters but prefer thematic elements way more. I will visit for the Harry Potter coaster but I will wait longer to vist for a non-thematic coaster.

Not sure if this is a smart decision by Universal to build another thrill coaster. Maybe a coaster more like the new Potter coaster would have been better. I think its OK to let Sea World and Busch Gardens be the place to go for coasters.

As someone who doesn't live in Florida, I can't see why this is a good decision. They made an increase in money with Harry Potter because the IP encourages fans of all ages to want to visit the park. They also were able to advertise things for the kids.

I know someone said that Universal should not be like Disney. Financially, it is smart to be more like Disney. Disney attracts out-of-towners to visit Florida. Roller coasters do not attract out of towners, especially since majority of those out of towners are visiting the parks for their kids (usually younger kids) and lets face it there are local parks with roller coasters almost everywhere.

The only way I could think this was a smart decision is if they did truly get a 2 for 1 deal with Intamin. I am a fan of roller coasters but prefer thematic elements way more. I will visit for the Harry Potter coaster but I will wait longer to vist for a non-thematic coaster.

Here in the UK we get a lot of Orlando adverts in most of these Universal is marketed as the Thrill Park, another big coaster will help cement this opinion in the general public. Most "non-Disney" people I speak with after a trip comment on how much they enjoyed Universal as more of an adult park.

When I speak with people I work with (non Theme Park enthusiasts) they all see Universal as the Thrill Park and Disney as for younger kids. (I'm not saying this is correct, merely stating whats been said to me.)

Here in the UK we get a lot of Orlando adverts in most of these Universal is marketed as the Thrill Park, another big coaster will help cement this opinion in the general public. Most "non-Disney" people I speak with after a trip comment on how much they enjoyed Universal as more of an adult park.

When I speak with people I work with (non Theme Park enthusiasts) they all see Universal as the Thrill Park and Disney as for younger kids. (I'm not saying this is correct, merely stating whats been said to me.)

I agree with you! Thats the problem. There is more money with the families with kids then with thrill seekers. All my siblings with kids will not even go to Universal because its a thrill park. There are 25 tickets alone in my family that they have lost due to not having anything for kids. Then they all went for Harry Potter. Something more kid oriented is a smarter move or using an IP to add more kid things and advertise that.

I agree with you! Thats the problem. There is more money with the families with kids then with thrill seekers. All my siblings with kids will not even go to Universal because its a thrill park. There are 25 tickets alone in my family that they have lost due to not having anything for kids. Then they all went for Harry Potter. Something more kid oriented is a smarter move or using an IP to add more kid things and advertise that.

Universal caters to both crowds. There's not room where this is going for anything like the Potter coaster. They're replacing the thrill they lost with the loss of Dragon Challenge. It's a good move.

Universal caters to both crowds. There's not room where this is going for anything like the Potter coaster. They're replacing the thrill they lost with the loss of Dragon Challenge. It's a good move.[/Q

Maybe its a good move for those living in Florida. A new roller coaster is not going to make a family of 3-6 travel to Florida. A more kid centered park or an addition to Camp Jurassic with more AAs might.
I dont think Universal caters to both crowds. Besides a few rides, my nephews and nieces spent most of the time waiting for the adults to get out of rides.

Maybe its a good move for those living in Florida. A new roller coaster is not going to make a family of 3-6 travel to Florida. A more kid centered park or an addition to Camp Jurassic with more AAs might.
I dont think Universal caters to both crowds. Besides a few rides, my nephews and nieces spent most of the time waiting for the adults to get out of rides.

Not every addition to the park is built to increase attentdance by 10%. The coaster will offer a big portion of Universal's audience a new, exciting ride.

They certainly don't cater to toddlers. You're right. They cater to the tweens and above. But not every family has toddlers.

There’s plenty for kids to do at IOA and USF. Adding this coaster is DD not leaving basically. In the end, everything comes down to preference.

You could absolutely make a case about how there is more money to be made from the families with young children demographic. However, Disney has a chokehold on that market and it's silly to think that Universal could make more money by trying steal market share from Disney in the families with young children department. Universal advertises themselves as the park families should go to when the kids are "too old for Disney." The tagline they use in many of their commercials is "kids grow up, and we think vacations should too." By doing this, they have positioned themselves as the market share leader for families with older children or young adults and it has been very profitable for them.

Expanding their brand to try and pull in more families with young children is a fine idea (and they are already doing this by bringing in Nintendo). But, it is important not only to themselves as an organization, but also to their core consumer base that they continue to introduce new, thrilling, exciting, and immersive experiences that you simply cannot find at Disney. No matter what type of business you are in, being just like your competitor is not good for business. Universal needs to give consumers a reason to choose them over Disney and I think they are and have been doing this extremely well over the past few years.

"If they're still in diapers, it's probably not a good idea to take them to Universal yet...Unless you're an adult that wears diapers...Then just skip the water rides and Volcano Bay" - Steven Speilberg

You could absolutely make a case about how there is more money to be made from the families with young children demographic. However, Disney has a chokehold on that market and it's silly to think that Universal could make more money by trying steal market share from Disney in the families with young children department. Universal advertises themselves as the park families should go to when the kids are "too old for Disney." The tagline they use in many of their commercials is "kids grow up, and we think vacations should too." By doing this, they have positioned themselves as the market share leader for families with older children or young adults and it has been very profitable for them.

Expanding their brand to try and pull in more families with young children is a fine idea (and they are already doing this by bringing in Nintendo). But, it is important not only to themselves as an organization, but also to their core consumer base that they continue to introduce new, thrilling, exciting, and immersive experiences that you simply cannot find at Disney. No matter what type of business you are in, being just like your competitor is not good for business. Universal needs to give consumers a reason to choose them over Disney and I think they are and have been doing this extremely well over the past few years.
They can do that with more rides like what Harry Potter is getting. Big thrills and big theming in one ride.

I agree with this 100%. In my opinion, Jurassic Park is one of the best IPs they have, and also their worst themed area of all their parks. I don’t think IOA is desperate enough for that capacity that we should be excited that they’re cramming a six flags coaster on the lagoon. It seems like I’m in the minority here, but I just think JP has 99 problems and not having a basic coaster isn’t one of them. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.