The Grinch (2018) | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

The Grinch (2018)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Glad to see they chose Tyler, The Creator to do some work for the soundtrack. I'm pretty sure they chose him because he's pretty close with Pharell, who gave some of the better scores from Despicable Me (and Happy, which made heaps).

Glad to see they chose Tyler, The Creator to do some work for the soundtrack. I'm pretty sure they chose him because he's pretty close with Pharell, who gave some of the better scores from Despicable Me (and Happy, which made heaps).

He was the soundtrack curator meaning he chose all the songs being used for this film kinda like Kendrick Lamar did for Black Panther and Justin Timberlake did for Trolls.

Reactions: hishedale
We could make a whole thread with these billboards:

5bd3a2c9d217300008df88e5-eight.jpg

5bd71e43d217300008df8960-eight.jpg

5bd74f91d217300008df899c-eight.jpg

grinch-2.jpg

The embargo has lifted and the reviews coming out are positive!! I think Inside the Magic was the first who posted theirs.

General Consensus: Its Visually stunning and its has so many awwwwww moments with things being so cute. Its a worthwhile remake. Story has a few issues but kiddos and families will eat this up.

Looks like Amazon is also doing promotional boxes as well
DraANsIX0AIPQLd.jpg

DraANsLX4AEcSqx.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not one to comment on movies very often, but I was just reading the Washington Post's review of The Grinch, and I found the review answering many of the comments I've seen on this thread. Here's a few quotes from the review by Pat Padua...Title: Clever art direction turns new animated "Grinch" into early Christmas gift........"It just so happens that the new animated version of the Dr. Seuss classic "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is a welcome, if early Christmas gift. You'd have to be a Scrooge to resist it. ....Working from a script by Michael LeSieur and Tommy Swerdlow, directors Yarrow Cheyney and Scott Mosier stay close to the tone of the 1966 TV special based on Dr. Seuss' book, even as they take liberties with back story and character development......With its charming character animation and innovative art direction, "The Grinch" is a vast improvement over Ron Howard's live-action adaptation of the same story. That garish 2000 film , which starred Jim Carrey as "The Grinch", looked like the cat that ate German Expressionism, the paintings of Thomas Kinkaid and the Target Holiday isle, and then threw up a 100 minute hairball. Compared with that travesty, this new"Grinch" is "Citizen Kane"......This endearing update of a holiday classic reminds us that the Christmas season can be hard for the lonely. It offers up an optimistic message that the Grinches of the world might melt their hard hearts if we meet them face to face-not with rancor, but with love".

Looks like it is settling more into the meh range (54% now on RT). Most of the negative feedback seems to be that it isn't an actively bad movie, just very safe, childish physical comedy and barely can justify the run time. But very pleasing for the little ones.

I think the biggest takeaway is that Illumination cannot really make films reliably for anyone outside of the 2-7ish demographic. But they do really capture that age group quite well.

Their advertising though is honestly stellar. I think they have the best advertisement pushes in the industry.

Reactions: tankart150
So I just got back from seeing this....it was better than the Jim Carrey as there is no cringe moments but at the same time I can see why people don't like this as much as the others. Its not a movie that is easy to hate and all the side characters are really really really likeable especially the new character Bricklebaum.

The Grinch definitely isn't a jerk/bad word of choice in this however I think this is probably the most relate able version of the Grinch.

Illumination strength is visual storyline vs spoken and I think the stories they would be good at telling aren't the projects they are looking at. This film however did affirm to me that Mario Movie would be okay because they didn't do anything or disrespect the source material in any way.

My least favorite of the three adaptations, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

• Most relatable Grinch, I would actually argue. The relationship he has with Max, unlike previous instances, is not only mutual, but equal. And in some ways, I love that aspect so much.
  • Best Cindy Lou Who from the three. isn't as annoying as the Howard, but isn't as..simple, as the Chuck. The writing here, is exceptional for Michael LeSieur & Tommy Swerdlow, as the two got that down right.
  • Least favorite Grinch, but Benedict just does fine.
  • Visuals and score are amazing, with the best looking Whoville. Does a very nice mix of the animated and live action, with a modern flair. Danny Elfman also does fantastic work with the orchestral work.

My least favorite of the three adaptations, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

• Most relatable Grinch, I would actually argue. The relationship he has with Max, unlike previous instances, is not only mutual, but equal. And in some ways, I love that aspect so much.
  • Best Cindy Lou Who from the three. isn't as annoying as the Howard, but isn't as..simple, as the Chuck. The writing here, is exceptional for Michael LeSieur & Tommy Swerdlow, as the two got that down right.
  • Least favorite Grinch, but Benedict just does fine.
  • Visuals and score are amazing, with the best looking Whoville. Does a very nice mix of the animated and live action, with a modern flair. Danny Elfman also does fantastic work with the orchestral work.
Hopefully that redo of the Orlando Grinchmas show set, that Legacy alluded to, has aspects of the Whoville you're referencing.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush