The Meg attraction in China? | Inside Universal Forums

The Meg attraction in China?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I heard the Warner Bros film the Meg could be created as a theme park attraction not in the United States but in China. Interesting because it said the attraction would’ve been created as a Jurassic aquarium attraction. Universal Orlando could be possibly bringing in Jurassic World as a possible land or attraction at IOA or the fourth gate. But The Meg isn’t a Universal IP it is a WB IP. WB has a connection with Universal parks though with Harry Potter and the Wizarding World. My question is would The Meg ever replace a Universal IP like Jaws or Jurassic Park/World in its own parks?

I heard the Warner Bros film the Meg could be created as a theme park attraction not in the United States but in China. Interesting because it said the attraction would’ve been created as a Jurassic aquarium attraction. Universal Orlando could be possibly bringing in Jurassic World as a possible land or attraction at IOA or the fourth gate. But The Meg isn’t a Universal IP it is a WB IP. WB has a connection with Universal parks though with Harry Potter and the Wizarding World. My question is would The Meg ever replace a Universal IP like Jaws or Jurassic Park/World in its own parks?
You heard that it was happening or you liked the movie and want it to happen?

Actually the Meg was supposed to be much darker than the actual PG rating that came out in theaters. Their were a ton of scenes cut that had too much blood I guess for audiences. It didn’t want to make Spielberg angry my guess since Jaws was a much darker shark film of course. What I am saying is that would Universal ever replace The Meg attraction would ever replace a classic IP like Jaws or Jurassic World which could be coming maybe add a Mossasaur attraction which is included in the Screamscape article as well.

I mean it's possible sure, but The Meg wasn't really that popular in the grand scheme of things. It brought in $143 million in the US and $153 million in China at the box office. Not bad numbers by any means, but enough to suggest it has the longevity to be relevant in a decade, I'm not sure.

However, I did read that they are making sequel to The Meg so that could help its odds if that does well. And there would be room for more sequels as the first Meg was based on the first in a series of five books. So it really just comes down to whether or not the property will continue to be relevant enough to support a theme park attraction worthy of being in one of the Universal parks and right now I think it's a bit too early to determine that for sure.

I think The possibility of the Meg getting attraction in China overseas might have gotten Spielberg’s attention because the only shark movie ever to be turned into a shark attraction at a theme park was Jaws if I’m not mistaken. Which still exists at Universal Studios Japan being the last one still operating. Just very interesting if WB does do this. I don’t think the Meg 2 sequel will be a success like Batman Begins sequel The Dark Knight no way in heck. Personally that was one of best sequels in movie history I think we can all agree on that. But if The Meg 2 is a hit I think Spielberg might just maybe consider a Jaws prequel or a spinoff. Based on the USS Indianapolis. I don’t think The Meg will push spielberg to reboot Jaws since he already stated he will never reboot Jaws, BTTF, or E.T ever again. Never say never but not to that.

Do you see The Meg going to Universal Studios Beijing since their is a theme park attraction in the works in China? The Meg is not a Universal IP since it belongs to Warner Bros. So would Universal ever replace The Meg over their classic IP Jaws or Jurassic World’s Mossasaur? Or will Bruce be the only shark to be at Universal Parks?

Just to say..is this thread..needed?

If there is any use of a Megalodon (or creature to that scale), why wouldn't they rather want to use their own IP's? Hell, Jurassic World already has the Mosasaurus.

Again we don’t know where the Meg is even going even though it’s s Warner Bros Property but we know it’ll be in China. I just assumed the Meg would go to Universal Studios Beijing since that is the only movie studio theme park new to China.

By that logic, we should place Geostorm into the mix, because Universal Beijing is "The only new studio theme park new to china". :eek:O:

Except, Universal Beijing isn't, as while uncertain; Wanda was (or probably still is) developing a Studio-based park in China with Legacy Entertainment (formerly Goddard Group). So please, explain to me with all of your own divine wisdom, to how the seven circles of hell; The Meg, making sense for ANYTHING in a Theme Park environment.

Last edited:
Well it is going to be created as a theme park attraction but we just don’t know where it’s going to go. Since it is coming to China I am assuming it will come to the Beijing park. But the attraction is described as a Jurassic Aquarium type. So who knows. No it is not a Universal IP so maybe that’s another reason it is unlikely. Also Jaws still exists over at Universal Studios Japan so it would be weird having another shark attraction at a Universal Park.

Who said that it was being created as a Theme Park attraction though? Because as far as I'm aware, no one has mentioned anything substancial in a rumor for it.

It was in a article The Meg movie is being created as a possible theme park attraction possibly as a Jurassic aquarium styled ride or show who knows. Universal Beijing already has a Jurassic World section but not a Mossasaur attraction.

So, because a small amount of producers say that they are developing a "The Meg" attraction (or attractions) for China, you automatically assume it's for Universal Beijing?

No Screamscape if you read one of their articles said their could be a possibility that the Meg can go to Universal Studios Beijing since it is in China but doubted that would happen as they could use one of their Universal IP’s like Jaws or the Mossasaur from Jurassic World, this is from Screamscape not me if you pull it up on their website.