Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The State & Future of the Monorails (WDW)

It's sarcasm concerning Disney's failure to fix these obvious problems. No need to be so sensitive. I have no idea what posting of your's I could have trolled.
Not personal, i just know your sense of humor and i really wanted to know which plots and u never said thats all lol.

We specifically stayed at The Grand Floridian a couple weeks ago for the monorail service to Epcot and The Magic Kingdom, so if this were to happen when we were there I'd be pissed.

Not going to lie, every time this thread gets bumped a part of me hopes that an insider has learned that a new fleet has been ordered. I guess we have to wait until they literally fall apart before they replace them, a terrible business decision and bad show.

Last edited:
Honestly I feel like we’ve reached the point to where a lawsuit against them with someone unwilling to settle is the only way to get Disney to do anything.

These things are a safety hazard and well past their intended life span at this point.

And unfortunately, the only way that lawsuit happens is a serious injury or death. And then we could be looking at a gross negligence lawsuit, a la McDonald’s coffee incident.

In particular if they found out that Disney knew about the issue, had multiple reports and documentation, and still quelled it.

It’s because of the last paragraph that I don’t believe Disney will ever announce they’re getting new monorails. They’d just get them. It’s not like it’s even a lengthy endeavor to put them on line to test. You have 3 different lines and could simply take one offline, ramp up buses for that line (say, Epcot monorail) while testing.

I get the impression, if they replace the Monorail's for Gondolas, it'd have to require a massive restructure of how the Transportation Hub would work.

My guess, is that they are considering both the two options of replacing the old monorails & beams, with something new and modern..or, just getting rid of the problem, and doing Gondola's.

Considering that the monorail is a staple of WDW, I'd be weird to see them remove the monorail for gondolas. If anything, they will try to keep the resort line open and only run 1-2 trains for the hotels and come up with something better for the parking lots. (Gondolas have way too low capacity to handle post-fireworks crowds.

I've said this before, but to me the easy way to fix this is to build a parking garage west of MK. This would eliminate the big need for the monorail system, and allow it to just be a more convenient option for resort guests and MK to Epcot. They could then easily afford to take a couple trains at a time off the system and give them a good thorough refurbishment.

There is no way they would replace the monorail system with more gondolas. It wouldn't make sense from an economic standpoint or from an operations standpoint, so lets just shut that down now.

If they were to just do away with the monorail system, which I think is the cheap way out, the Grand Floridian, the Polynesian and the Contemporary/Bay Lake could all rely more on water transportation to and from the Magic Kingdom.

I've said this before, but to me the easy way to fix this is to build a parking garage west of MK. This would eliminate the big need for the monorail system, and allow it to just be a more convenient option for resort guests and MK to Epcot. They could then easily afford to take a couple trains at a time off the system and give them a good thorough refurbishment.
So you want to park tens of thousands of people in a parking structure that’s off of a two-lane road? Because all roads right next to MK are two-lanes.

So you want to park tens of thousands of people in a parking structure that’s off of a two-lane road? Because all roads right next to MK are two-lanes.
Obviously you would need to modify the road some. That would be the case with pretty much any shift in parking anywhere. It also doesn't hurt they're building that new north entrance which would basically head straight that way.