The Grinch (2018) | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

The Grinch (2018)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Hopefully that redo of the Orlando Grinchmas show set, that Legacy alluded to, has aspects of the Whoville you're referencing.

I really do hope so as-well. Shame they didn't pull the trigger on a revamp of the show's script, but I could understand why.

That said though, this could work nicely as an expansion of Seuss Landing, separated off by a current that borders the two area's. There's one scene that'd make quite a bit of sense to base it off as a possible ride concept.

My least favorite of the three adaptations, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

• Most relatable Grinch, I would actually argue. The relationship he has with Max, unlike previous instances, is not only mutual, but equal. And in some ways, I love that aspect so much.
  • Best Cindy Lou Who from the three. isn't as annoying as the Howard, but isn't as..simple, as the Chuck. The writing here, is exceptional for Michael LeSieur & Tommy Swerdlow, as the two got that down right.
  • Least favorite Grinch, but Benedict just does fine.
  • Visuals and score are amazing, with the best looking Whoville. Does a very nice mix of the animated and live action, with a modern flair. Danny Elfman also does fantastic work with the orchestral work.

How much does this version play into the Grinch being... “basic” and sort of fed up with society? Sort of like a hermit millennial?

How much does this version play into the Grinch being... “basic” and sort of fed up with society? Sort of like a hermit millennial?

I'd say yes, and no.

Yes: He didn't even want to leave his cave, but because of "anxiety eating", he's forced to go to Whoville. However, he does try to book it, in & out in his own way.

and..

No: He does 'live' with the Who's, in that he does groceries, and does screw the kids (And some of the adult who's) around in a few small way's.

The relationship with Max, is more of a Best Friend type of deal, with it feeling a bit more like Han and Chewbacca, in that Max helps Grinch out quite a bit in quite a various sorts of things, such as helping him for food and ensuring everything out. But that, The Grinch does "care" for Max, more-so than how the Carrey & Karloff Grinch's react with Max.

Reactions: RevFreako

I'd say yes, and no.

Yes: He didn't even want to leave his cave, but because of "anxiety eating", he's forced to go to Whoville. However, he does try to book it, in & out in his own way.

and..

No: He does 'live' with the Who's, in that he does groceries, and does screw the kids (And some of the adult who's) around in a few small way's.

The relationship with Max, is more of a Best Friend type of deal, with it feeling a bit more like Han and Chewbacca, in that Max helps Grinch out quite a bit in quite a various sorts of things, such as helping him for food and ensuring everything out. But that, The Grinch does "care" for Max, more-so than how the Carrey & Karloff Grinch's react with Max.

Dude was not fed up with society. He was scared of being rejected so he isolates himself and shuts himself off so no one can hurt him like he felt as a child. Remember it was no one caring about him on Christmas that lead him to all of this {seeing all the Whos happy with families and smiling while he was in the orphanage.}

Man, I thought this was a great cersion of the Grinch. I'm not a fan of Jim Carrey at all, so that version is is a bust with me, but this had a hell of a lot of heart.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Solid 4 day start. The key will be to have some low 35-40% drops as we get to Thanksgiving and then December.

This is a really interesting test movie since we don't get that many Christmas movies released this early. I think it should be able to get to $250 million in the US easily.

I wonder if Universal will allow its theater count to shrink and then re-expand in early/mid-December.

Reactions: Magic-Man
I watched both The Grinch and the 2000 Jim Carey versions yesterday. Jim Carey's grinch is a little too over the top for my taste. I quite enjoyed the new version much better. Certainly geared more towards kids.

live action,

SEEOeKB.png

Last edited:
I seen it last night. I liked it. Makes me wonder if illumination will redo other dr. Suess works.
They can't at this point; Grinch is the last Universal Dr. Seuss movie for now.

Warner Bros is the next home for Dr Seuss projects: Warner Animation Group Strikes Multi-Movie Dr. Seuss Deal

I think this is the best outcome though; Grinch is the most important Seuss character, and Universal got out a modern animated version that it will be able to keep in its library and distribute on TV/streaming services into the future (especially during future holiday seasons).

Illumination has to focus on its current projects: Nintendo, SLoP, Minions/DM, Sing. Meledandri is going to be working on the story for Shrek's revamp at DreamWorks as well.

All of that means there's no space for further Seuss adaptations at Illumination.

Last edited:
They can't at this point; Grinch is the last Universal Dr. Seuss movie for now.

Warner Bros is the next home for Dr Seuss projects: Warner Animation Group Strikes Multi-Movie Dr. Seuss Deal

I think this is the best outcome though; Grinch is the most important Seuss character, and Universal got out a modern animated version that it will be able to keep in its library and distribute on TV/streaming services into the future (especially during future holiday seasons).

Illumination has to focus on its current projects: Nintendo, SLoP, Minions/DM, Sing. Meledandri is going to be working on the story for Shrek's revamp at DreamWorks as well.

All of that means there's no space for further Seuss adaptations at Illumination.
Yes. This Grinch animated movie will live on forever.....every year Christmas network TV & cable.....DVD/Blu Ray yearly strong holiday season sales.....streaming services....theme park usage....merchandise sales......."The Gift That Keeps On Giving"....big time..............being a Holiday attraction it has a longer, and more significant, life than a regular animated movie....Big win here

Reactions: zg44 and RevFreako
Yes. This Grinch animated movie will live on forever.....every year Christmas network TV & cable.....DVD/Blu Ray yearly strong holiday season sales.....streaming services....theme park usage....merchandise sales......."The Gift That Keeps On Giving"....big time..............being a Holiday attraction it has a longer, and more significant, life than a regular animated movie....Big win here
Yep; in fact I think that Illumination announcing Grinch a couple of years ago and basically going silent on the rest of the Seuss projects was the "tell" that Universal/Illumination just wanted to get one last fresh Grinch movie before letting the rights lapse.

Reality is that Seuss is most popular in the US and parts of Europe; the characters don't travel as well as Universal/Illumination would like.

Was Universal going to greenlight a bunch of Seuss Illumination movies that could make $400 million worldwide? Or do they want Illumination to focus on the broader storytelling projects or Nintendo which can reach the $600 million to 1 billion+ range.

Pretty easy decision to just let the rights go and keep 1 fresh Grinch movie in the library for the next couple of decades.

Saw the film.

It's cute, family fun with some wonderful animation. I think I may prefer it to the live-action film. While Carrey steals the show as the Grinch in that film, the movie itself gets a little long in the tooth. In comparison, this version felt like a breeze.

Saw the film.

It's cute, family fun with some wonderful animation. I think I may prefer it to the live-action film. While Carrey steals the show as the Grinch in that film, the movie itself gets a little long in the tooth. In comparison, this version felt like a breeze.
This is exactly the type of reaction that the Universal/Illumination execs want.

Regardless of how successful the movie is in theaters this year; if people react to it like you did, they can easily just throw it up on TV (and streaming services will have it) every December to broad audiences for decades to come...

I know one of the complaints from critics was that this was too safe, but given how important it is to Universal's library, I think it's obvious they were going to play it extremely safe and create a very easy on the eyes crowd pleaser that's timeless in its own way.

This is exactly the type of reaction that the Universal/Illumination execs want.

Regardless of how successful the movie is in theaters this year; if people react to it like you did, they can easily just throw it up on TV (and streaming services will have it) every December to broad audiences for decades to come...

I know one of the complaints from critics was that this was too safe, but given how important it is to Universal's library, I think it's obvious they were going to play it extremely safe and create a very easy on the eyes crowd pleaser that's timeless in its own way.
This.:thumbsup:

I'd feel if they tried anything daring, the critics would complain anyway. :lol:

Reactions: zg44