Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 192 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
On the fence about buying 3 park APs. We have never done a waterpark but have hit SeaWorld and UO so many times over the past few years that it's kind of worn out. The 6 months free kind of have us intrigued. The gap between UO and Disney prices is still quite substantial even without the 6 months free...

Just on the fence because of all the mixed comments about the crowds.
Just like having APs to the dry parks this should be approached the same way. I go when I feel like it and if it is too hot/cold or the crowds are too much I leave knowing I can come back another day. Same with this, come for a while in the mornings and leave if you are done then head over to the dry parks. The AP gives you that option.
Unless this is a short trip from a distance and the APs are better than 4 day hoppers.

Edit: @Skold beat me to it.

I think that VB has an expectations problem, given that people organize whole trips around seeing potter without terrible crowds (early entry and express), but then show up to volcano bay late morning expecting to have the run of the park.

If riding all the slides at VB is truly important to someone, they should be staying onsite and showing up early for early entry with that priority in mind, and they will likely have no problem riding almost everything by mid-afternoon, possibly with repeats.

When universal called it a "water theme park" everyone got excited about having all the positive attributes of a theme park, but the negative that theme parks are best enjoyed with time maximizing planning was seemingly forgotten.

I think that VB has an expectations problem, given that people organize whole trips around seeing potter without terrible crowds (early entry and express), but then show up to volcano bay late morning expecting to have the run of the park.

If riding all the slides at VB is truly important to someone, they should be staying onsite and showing up early for early entry with that priority in mind, and they will likely have no problem riding almost everything by mid-afternoon, possibly with repeats.

When universal called it a "water theme park" everyone got excited about having all the positive attributes of a theme park, but the negative that theme parks are best enjoyed with time maximizing planning was seemingly forgotten.
Yeah, you have to make some effort to have a good time but at least it isn't as much as the one down the road.

Last edited:

VB is a lot like Horror Nights, if you don't know the best route, it's possible you will only get to a couple of houses...I mean...slides

Reactions: JoeCamel
Thinking about getting the Premium APs that come with the after4PM Express passes. This way we could do VB in the morning and early afternoon, and then head over to the parks. Staying at Cabana Bay would save me a ton of money vs the Portofino...

Dunno... Orlando vacations have become too complicated. When I have to have spreadsheets made to compare the options between Disney, UO and Seaworld there is something wrong. Either with the parks, me, or both.

Agreed, it can get to be too much. But I don't think you need to do that with UOR. We usually stay at Cabana Bay, so no EP, but have a simple yet effective plan:
- Split VB over two days and rope drop.
- The only other thing you need to rope drop is Despicable Me, due to its location right at the front and low capacity. Rope drop that the days(s) you want to ride it, then just use the app to head towards rides that have low waits for the rest of your stay.
- If you like to take a break, do it around noon - 4:00-ish (CBBR lazy river and the Hideaway are great ways to spend that time).
- Eat at Finnegan's, Confisco, and CityWalk.

Done. No FP+ to dance around, no ADRs to make 6 months before you go, no crazy planning required. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Agreed, it can get to be too much. But I don't think you need to do that with UOR. We usually stay at Cabana Bay, so no EP, but have a simple yet effective plan:
- Split VB over two days and rope drop.
- The only other thing you need to rope drop is Despicable Me, due to its location right at the front and low capacity. Rope drop that the days(s) you want to ride it, then just use the app to head towards rides that have low waits for the rest of your stay.
- If you like to take a break, do it around noon - 4:00-ish (VB lazy river and the Hideaway are great ways to spend that time).
- Eat at Finnegan's, Confisco, and CityWalk.

Done. No FP+ to dance around, no ADRs to make 6 months before you go, no crazy planning required. :thumbsup:
Yes, even when we don't have hotel Express we get everything big in by going in the morning and/or using single line. Universal is rarely busy before noon.

How do you actually select your cabana at VB when you call to make a reservation? Is there a map that has them numbered or something? How do you know which ones you are paying for?

I just went and read the first page of recent reviews on TA. Overall positive but was surprised at the number posted from the UK. Had to check I was not on the UK version of TA.

Interesting that you noticed that :) English school holiday week, last week (though does vary by region). I wonder if views vary depending on where reviewers travel from ... UK tourists (have nothing like VB here!), US tourists (have perhaps regional water parks) and Florida locals?

Reactions: JoeCamel
Basically anytime the weather is below a high of 70 they close water parks around here. It's gonna be in the 60's as a high on said days.

Went back to Volcano Bay last Friday and the Thursday before. Both days were great with everything ride now the entire day. APs also get early entry through March I believe so take advantage of it and hit this place up before spring break crowds descend. It's crazy how dead this place can be when it's not prime waterpark season.

It appears they have decided to move the expansion plans to the backburner, ATM.
Universal got blindsided by demand for anything new in Orlando and then would rather not expand when they could easily price accordingly and have enough on site and package guests to do so. They claimed this park would be open late and refused to price late night tickets to make it happen. This feels very Disney like where they are too addicted to the margins they have on insane prices to mess with the margins. I would imagine pushing creating artificial demand for express where it fundamentally doesn't work especially during slow season would be a thing as well.

Reactions: Andysol