Nintendo Switch | Page 91 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Switch

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
So you really saying Sun and Moon tutorial didn't overly simplify the game as well as the earlier access to Exp Share which made it to where you had to grind way less than those did back in our day of Pokémon Yellow where you were at least level 30 before you got it.

I didn't think Sun/Moon simplified the game any more than the rest of the series.

And less grinding is a godsend. I don't have time for that anymore. Not to mention you can turn Exp Share off if you want the good old grind.

Reactions: TDBLMT
So I've played at least every game from each generation. The one thing I think hasn't been mentioned yet is that both pokemon and the system its played on have become significantly more complicated. Generation one had no natures or abilities or extra modes or any of that, and was played on a console that had two buttons. Now we've got consoles with at least 6 primary buttons and a touch screen, with hidden and available features. I can understand the idea of simplifying it for newer/younger players. I don't agree with flat out removing some features (bikes, non-gen one evolutions of gen one pokemon, weird gym requirements) but I understand the idea

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
So I've played at least every game from each generation. The one thing I think hasn't been mentioned yet is that both pokemon and the system its played on have become significantly more complicated. Generation one had no natures or abilities or extra modes or any of that, and was played on a console that had two buttons. Now we've got consoles with at least 6 primary buttons and a touch screen, with hidden and available features. I can understand the idea of simplifying it for newer/younger players. I don't agree with flat out removing some features (bikes, non-gen one evolutions of gen one pokemon, weird gym requirements) but I understand the idea

Even with IVs, Natures, etc, they don't complicate the game play outside competitive play. I'm a semi competitive player so I don't really care much about IVs and breeding perfect Pokémon except when I'm playing online. Pokémon is literally the easiest JRPG there is. Even Yokai Watch is harder and that demographic is even younger than Pokémon.

The core mechanics remain the same when catching/combat. The difference is now, they tell you oh this move is super effective rather than you remembering what moves are good against a different type. You have things like Z moves and mega stones which even simplify the games even more because it can help you get a one hit KO. Its those small things that irk me immensely. You get Exp share which back In the day only shared with one other Pokémon until you got exp all which spread it to all. Of course you can turn it off but still the complexity

I played up to the 4th gym (Erika) yesterday on my friend's switch and until I boxed Eevee, the game was too easy. I like the struggle where you get annoyed because its the last second and all your Pokémon fainted but one.

The core mechanics remain the same when catching/combat. The difference is now, they tell you oh this move is super effective rather than you remembering what moves are good against a different type. You have things like Z moves and mega stones which even simplify the games even more because it can help you get a one hit KO. Its those small things that irk me immensely. You get Exp share which back In the day only shared with one other Pokémon until you got exp all which spread it to all. Of course you can turn it off but still the complexity

Literally all the things you list here are optional use for the most part. If you want the game to be harder, just don't use them.

Lets Go is not some sort of bastardization of the series a lot of people have whipped themselves into believing. The new catching mechanic is more a side step to the original method than a downgrade; I could see an alternate universe version of this where people are complaining a unique mechanic is removed for "just more battles" and them being random. To offset the random battles there are way more trainers in the game including new harder trainers who specialize in a specific TMs. Once you master that battle you get the TM for your own use.

The only aspect that's clearly easier and designed for new players is a new NPC who appears several times in the game to give your Eevee/Pikachu a new element based attack that can really turn your main Pokemon into a one Pokemon fainting machine. But like XP share and other additions over the years it's optional and not required to finish the game.

Overall the game is great and I do highly recommend people pick it up

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Lets Go is not some sort of bastardization of the series a lot of people have whipped themselves into believing. The new catching mechanic is more a side step to the original method than a downgrade; I could see an alternate universe version of this where people are complaining a unique mechanic is removed for "just more battles" and them being random. To offset the random battles there are way more trainers in the game including new harder trainers who specialize in a specific TMs. Once you master that battle you get the TM for your own use.

The only aspect that's clearly easier and designed for new players is a new NPC who appears several times in the game to give your Eevee/Pikachu a new element based attack that can really turn your main Pokemon into a one Pokemon fainting machine. But like XP share and other additions over the years it's optional and not required to finish the game.

Overall the game is great and I do highly recommend people pick it up
I think seeing wild Pokémon in the overworld and it no longer being random isn’t one of the things being complained about en masse (I’m sure there’s a few though). I remember seeing people actually begging for that long before these games came out. The point of contention is no more wild battles along with other aspects.

I think seeing wild Pokémon in the overworld and it no longer being random isn’t one of the things being complained about en masse. I remember seeing people actually begging for that long before these games came out. The point of contention is no more wild battles along with other aspects.

As I stated the new system is more of a side step than a downgrade, it still requires some skill and for those wanting more battles they've added more trainers in the game world.

Popping into the discussion, sofar with the game (and this is with me not being fond of Pokemon Go and being a complete newbie to Pokemon in gaming)...I love the direction.

It feels simple, but it's not in any way to me, a completely easy game. I'll year to be wrong, but I like the catching mechanic; and the combat seems simple and layered in a way.

That's..my beef.

As I stated the new system is more of a side step than a downgrade, it still requires some skill and for those wanting more battles they've added more trainers in the game world.
That doesn’t really answer it though. From what I’ve seen what people miss is the aspect of actively weakening wild Pokémon until you can catch them. The little give and take. Trainer battles don’t really replace that.

That doesn’t really answer it though. From what I’ve seen what people miss is the aspect of actively weakening wild Pokémon until you can catch them. The little give and take. Trainer battles don’t really replace that.

Ah ok. The reason why I say it’s a side step is, for me, the previous catching game mechanic was this weird fiddly thing of doing one big hit then hoping tackle doesn’t cause the Pokémon to faint. Now the system has you judging the aggression and speed of the Pokémon, trying to mitigate those factors (or make it more difficult) using berries, then aiming and using a timing system to catch the Pokémon. It still feels roughly as deep as the prior one.

Reactions: TDBLMT
Ah ok. The reason why I say it’s a side step is, for me, the previous catching game mechanic was this weird fiddly thing of doing one big hit then hoping tackle doesn’t cause the Pokémon to faint. Now the system has you judging the aggression and speed of the Pokémon, trying to mitigate those factors (or make it more difficult) using berries, then aiming and using a timing system to catch the Pokémon. It still feels roughly as deep as the prior one.
That brings up another issue where you’re forced to use motion controls on the TV.

New Zelda main series game expected to be released next year...hopefully its more an open world Majora's Mask/OoT with actual dungeons than BoTW IMHO.
Ever since the game came out there was chatter in the community about wanting more traditional dungeons in the next game so I’m hopeful they’ll follow that. Really all they’d have to do is pack the game full of places like BotW’s Hyrule Castle with more varied bosses and bingo. Maybe this time they could restrict the openness of the game when only concerning the story. Maybe make it so that you can do all the dungeons in any order but you have to do all of them before the final dungeon. I don’t think most people cared about being able to go right to Ganon in BotW anyway.