Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread

Perhaps to bring this up, maybe they decided early on when F&F was getting cut's..to perhaps upgrade aspects of the Stunt Show to be more than what we expect (regardless on what IP it would become)?
Yes. Seems funny the project went soooo slow, and almost stopped for a good while. And when it slowed up insiders were saying that was because they were blocking the stage for actors.Well, now that stage isn't there anymore, and it looks like it will be significantly larger. Nothing up to this point really makes sense unless something changed at some time in the process. And, no way this is going to open up in early spring like most original insider guesses.....Color me interested. :)

Yes. Seems funny the project went soooo slow, and almost stopped for a good while. And when it slowed up insiders were saying that was because they were blocking the stage for actors.Well, now that stage isn't there anymore, and it looks like it will be significantly larger. Nothing up to this point really makes sense unless something changed at some time in the process. And, no way this is going to open up in early spring like most original insider guesses.....Color me interested. :)

Yeah, I get that feeling too.

It seems this project has seemed to of gone from a myriad of changes over a small period of time. From IP's getting Lost, to slow work due to blocking prep. And that's not even considering that they probably had to wait for film to get finished.

To say this project is a bit mysterious, is somewhat fitting.

Perhaps to bring this up, maybe they decided early on when F&F was getting cut's..to perhaps upgrade aspects of the Stunt Show to be more than what we expect (regardless on what IP it would become)?

No. This is just not how large projects work.

Here’s a more likely scenario:

Universal knew how long it would take to construct a new stage and facilities. They then worked on designing the show and blocking it elsewhere. Once that part was done they then did the engineering work and submit permits for construction. Once they had construction crews available and the engineering was complete they are now constructing the show.

Major scope isn’t removed at the last minute of a project. Even something like removing 3D from F&F just ended up with a plastered over glasses area, not a major redesign and specification of the project.

Maybe Universal just approved, design, and built a terrible ride as originally planned out?

Universal knew how long it would take to construct a new stage and facilities. They then worked on designing the show and blocking it elsewhere. Once that part was done they then did the engineering work and submit permits for construction. Once they had construction crews available and the engineering was complete they are now constructing the show.

Major scope isn’t removed at the last minute of a project. Even something like removing 3D from F&F just ended up with a plastered over glasses area, not a major redesign and specification of the project.

Maybe Universal just approved, design, and built a terrible ride as originally planned out?
Maybe....but maybe not. :) ...There sure was a lot of internal UC conversations concerning direction after the F&F surveys came in back in May/June, according to a very key insider. And looking at all the last minute changes that have popped up in the past year and a half, I wouldn't be surprised if they tweaked this attraction in lieu of any basic engineering plans they needed to uphold. Certainly story & plot could have been altered and still fit in with the structure they were building. Story and plot have changed on existing stage shows in the past.

And I'm sure that I am completely wrong. But I would have to wonder, because from what it seemed internally; Supercharged (even before opening) was a wake-up call for Universal. At-least, that's the vibe I got from those who have talked about it publicly.

Sounding like this attraction may be more substantial than many of us were anticipating. I wonder if Universal somewhat altered & upgraded the concept midstream, and stepped away from any F&F type comparisons, once they saw the negative reaction to F&F....
There were F&F comparisons? It was always, essentially, an upgraded T2:3D.
They blocked and rehearsed everything off-site, with mock-ups of all planned effects, to make sure the construction of the show ONLY used what survived the rehearsals.

You don’t want to spend thousands to install an effect that gets cut for narrative reasons. That’s why they were blocking off-site. The script (and effects) must be fully locked in now. So the venue can be completed.

And before anyone asks:

- Scripts are never final until opening day.
- A lot of the T-2 cast, I believe, is getting used for Bourne (that’s a big reason why they closed the show when they did).

I imagine the preshow and story framing device for this show may have been tweaked after F&F opened (namely a high-tech operations room). But tweaking what plays on the screen in a preshow, or lines of dialog is not the same as changing the blueprints and building something different.

The only thing I’m kind of surprised about, if true, is the replacement of all the seats. Everything else we’re seeing is in line with information I’ve heard about changes coming to the theater. However, considering how long those seats have been there, I’m not surprised they decided to replace them as well.

Hollywood is in 3D, plans were to include it here but it was cut after feedback. The location of the glasses distribution is still there just plastered over.
Here's the 3D glasses distribution in Single Rider line, just closed off.

IMG_1672.JPG

Here it is in regular queue, sorry for bad quality photo. Haven't been in standby since I noticed it to get a better pic.

IMG_1682.JPG

Isn't there still a sign that says don't forget safety goggles? I remember that when I did F&F it was obvious were the glasses would have been.
There is, and it is right next to load area, but since it's a generic sign about wearing protective eye wear for mechanical work, I guess it still fits in theme, even without the 3D glasses.

Maybe....but maybe not. :) ...There sure was a lot of internal UC conversations concerning direction after the F&F surveys came in back in May/June, according to a very key insider. And looking at all the last minute changes that have popped up in the past year and a half, I wouldn't be surprised if they tweaked this attraction in lieu of any basic engineering plans...

Agreed. I know people are claiming major construction this late in the game was simply due to the blocking of the show off-site but isn't the partial demolition of the building already proof that the scope of this is bigger than everything we heard prior? Multiple insiders said there would be minimal work done to the theater layout and now walls are being torn down, the seats are being removed.

Also, stunt / theatrical shows like this might organically dictate the effects, sets, screens, and projections required when they're putting the show together and blocking the actors but the director still needs to know the basic space he/she is working with. You don't just give the people creating the show carte blanche to come up with whatever they want and then partially demolish a show-building afterwards once you realize the space you have doesn't work. Isn't it just as possible, or even more likely, that Universal decided to "plus" this attraction earlier this year and the director of the show made changes accordingly while they were building the show with the actors?

Whether or not this attraction is moving ahead as planned or there were last minute changes, this level of construction can only be seen as positive news.

And I'm sure that I am completely wrong. But I would have to wonder, because from what it seemed internally; Supercharged (even before opening) was a wake-up call for Universal. At-least, that's the vibe I got from those who have talked about it publicly.
It should be noted that Supercharged continues to be a thorn in their side as the initial negative feedback from guests hasn't waned as it often does after opening. Some attractions open with bad reviews but eventually find their footing after the marketing dies down and unrealistic expectations from guests aren't as robust going into the park. This didn't happen with Supercharged so it became much harder to ignore. It also doesn't help that the expected attendance bump for such an expensive attraction didn't materialize. That got EVERYONE'S attention within Universal and beyond (Comcast).

It should be noted that Supercharged continues to be a thorn in their side as the initial negative feedback from guests hasn't waned as it often does after opening. Some attractions open with bad reviews but eventually find their footing after the marketing dies down and unrealistic expectations from guests aren't as robust going into the park. This didn't happen with Supercharged so it became much harder to ignore. It also doesn't help that the expected attendance bump for such an expensive attraction didn't materialize. That got EVERYONE'S attention within Universal and beyond (Comcast).
:thumbsup:

I've always said that both side screens would be removed and the stage made larger for more live actors and stunt performers. The preshow space and queue areas should remain in the same configuration, and the theater space oriented the same, so that's still minimal in my book.

According to permits I'm told there will be structural additions added to the sides of the theater to help expand the stage. That lines up with the holes in the walls we're seeing. The building will also be expanded behind the stage for more back of house stuff.

In this new show the stage will take up the front and sides where the 3 screens were, and the structure is being expanded to make way for a deeper stage on the sides as well as front of theater.

Everything we're seeing now lines up with what I heard back over the summer when the permits were filed, except for the new seats. But that's not surprising if true.