Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal moving on from Biometric Lockers

Seems to be a question I’m hearing a lot lately. We must get to the bottom of this! Where’s @Skubersky when we need a hero?
On the old lockers they use a time limit formula, typically the posted wait plus 15-20 minutes. I’ve done back to back Hulk rides using express or singles with no locker trouble, but I’d ask a TM before reriding standby.

Less room for human error with them. Less chance of technical error. So, yea, Universal seems to think these are a step up.

(Just don’t lock your ticket in the locker.)
Talked to the Smartcarte vendor at IAAPA, the new lockers require far fewer button presses per transaction so guest throughput should increase dramatically. Plus, no more biometric scans, since guests can never remember which finger they used...

I had to fight with Mummy's lockers, but that was operator error (got a tiny locker when we needed to shove one of those Hogwarts house backpacks in). They're very particular in not letting you get more than one locker with your ticket, that's for sure.

I am just happy for the switch. I hated when I had to use finger because after I went thru chemo, it always gave me a hard time, don't know why, but it did. There was a lady today trying to use her ticket for like 5 people at the lockers, then was beating them like what the world lady. She got all hostile until security came over and then she did the boo hoo story. So I understand why you cant use one ticket for multiple lockers it is probably a good thing with how sketchy some people are now a days, but seems like its going quicker.

Wasting no time...

The room the lockers are in at Forbidden Journey needs an overhaul. But if these new ones are mostly smaller, allowing for more lockers, and ticket scanning makes things quicker then hopefully the rooms won't be as crazy.

Sorry I am so out of touch, but what exactly do these scan, a barcode?

Yes. A barcode on your park ticket.

• Scan ticket, a locker opens.
  • Put stuff in, close.
  • Come back, scan ticket, the same locker opens back up.

No numbers to type in or remember, no fingerprint scan.

It seems to go faster, and they now have two sizes of lockers, so the same amount of space actually holds a lot more lockers. My big purse actually fits in the small locker, so I'm pleased.

What happens when you come back to get one thing out of the locker but leave other stuff behind for later? Is there a touch screen that asks your intentions?
It warns you in voice and on screen that YOUR RENTAL IS NOW OVER, PLEASE REMOVE ALL OF YOUR ITEMS when you return to open it again.

If you want to only remove a single item and close it again, you need to start a new rental, same as the old fingerprint ones. These are one-time use free lockers.

There is a screen to tell you what to do. And there is a help station out front too with a touch screen too, plus a Team Member on duty, but most people just scan and load or scan and unload no problem.

Are these new lockers an improvement?
I honestly preferred the finger scan, but I can see why they went this route with the new scanning of the tickets. While I thought the finger scan was very easy to do, some people just couldn't figure it out and I would always see people struggling with them. Unfortunately, the last couple of times I've been, I have also seen people struggling with the new lockers, but I do believe this number was far less than before.