Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

""

Looks like Maze #1 is done. Coupled with the poster release today, and his use of BEAST, I'm guessing that this is Glass

How much control does M.Night have over promotion though? It's a Universal property, couldn't they over rule it?

It's speculative, but I'm pretty sure it's all about risk-reward. Forcing the property in risks pissing off M. Night, who's been a consistent hit-maker for Universal since the Visit. HHN is small-fry compared to Universal's movie business; the opportunity cost of maybe getting a few hundred or few thousand more $70 tickets for HHN is completely out-weighed by the potential millions lost if M. Night decides to stop making movies for Uni.

While M. Night can certainly be replaced with a similarly competent director, that entails the risk that the director Uni hires might not make hundreds of millions off of a $5m budget. Big companies hate risk like cats hate bathtubs.

Plus, just on the personal side, I'm sure Murdy gets the fact that M. Night has artistic pride and just doesn't want to screw with that.

Given that I'm in the camp that doubts Universal Monsters is coming back next year, and since I do believe HDD2U will be coming in 2019, I know they can easily reuse most of the HoB Chapter 1 sets and costumes for this one, given we're going back to the "plot" of the first movie. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if instead of HoB Chapter 3 we just get one big Happy Death Day maze.

Gotta say, I'm loving this new era of Murdy just being straight and saying certain highly-sought properties aren't on the docket. Previous years it felt like those poor people who didn't know about the leaked lineups were being strung along for the ride and exploded whenever it wasn't something like IT or the Conjuring. I understand that he can't do it for every property (that would take the fun out of speculation), but for highly-requested ones like Scream, it's so refreshing.

Agreed.. Better for Murdy to just be honest about the rights being an issue for these IPs rather than be dismissive or condescending towards certain IPs like he had been in the past.. Scream (Not scary enough after Scary Movie parodied it), Hellraiser (Not enough popularity with current audiences), AHS (Ratings/popularity aren't as good as TWD's) etc..

I mean I do remember in some Twitter Q&A's he's mentioned that he doesn't want to say some IPs they can't do in the near future because he doesn't want to jinx or ruin the chances of the IP coming to the event in the future, in case the IP holders saw that comment and get the wrong idea.

Given that I'm in the camp that doubts Universal Monsters is coming back next year, and since I do believe HDD2U will be coming in 2019, I know they can easily reuse most of the HoB Chapter 1 sets and costumes for this one, given we're going back to the "plot" of the first movie. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if instead of HoB Chapter 3 we just get one big Happy Death Day maze.

He did say he was reading a script (he actually said he's reading two scripts) .

I mean I do remember in some Twitter Q&A's he's mentioned that he doesn't want to say some IPs they can't do in the near future because he doesn't want to jinx or ruin the chances of the IP coming to the event in the future, in case the IP holders saw that comment and get the wrong idea.

With him talking about Scream like that, I'm guessing it's not coming in the near-to-far future then.

For the outline he just wrote, I'm gonna guess it's Hill House. "Lots of visual research" plus "beast to put together" (it's a TV-show, more ground to cover) makes it seem clear.

Scream's rights were JUST settled very recently and bought from the Weinstein company. Season 3 announcement for the show should be coming fairly soon within the next month or so. However, probably too late for consideration for 2019's HHN, but 2020 on the other hand...

Scream's rights were JUST settled very recently and bought from the Weinstein company. Season 3 announcement for the show should be coming fairly soon within the next month or so. However, probably too late for consideration for 2019's HHN, but 2020 on the other hand...

Please please please let it be based on the original...

EDIT: No Scream house would ever be complete without that garage door scene.

I know we're getting way ahead of ourselves, especially with this IP, but just hearing them blare out loud "Red Right Hand" while waiting in line, and the "Trouble in Woodsboro" theme in the maze would be everything!

Occasionally interrupted by a scream and a phone ring, and Ghostface having a benign conversation with Casey.

"Do you like Scary Movies?"

Oh man, a Scream maze would be alot like Halloween 4 this year, wouldn't it? Where the beginning section of the movie makes up a ton of the maze; just going through Casey's house with the popped popcorn and Ghostface yelling. Then gutted Brad and the living room, then out the door to Casey's corpse.

Then all that's needed is a short detour through the school and Sidney's house and you can go straight to the house from the climax. No weird transitions or location overload necessary. The maze designs itself!

EDIT: Then, because it's Hollywood, the blackout scares at the end are Ghostface, with Randy screaming "EVERYONE'S A SUSPECT."

I really hope that they will be able to do Haunting of Hill House this year. There is so much potential in the show that I would be shocked if it doesn't come. Huge following, great sets, scary characters... and having a great relationship with Netflix while doing Stranger Things this year...
In my opinion, this show is a WAY better show to bring to an event like HHN compared to ST. I don't believe that the Stranger Things mazes (on either coast) were great. I don't believe that it was all Murdy's fault... I feel that the show doesn't have enough horror elements to bring to HHN.
Hill House was such a perfect show for a horror fan like me, and I really hope it makes it.
(I would love the facade of Hill House to be a scaled version of the house or just the porch with the light flashing twice)

Occasionally interrupted by a scream and a phone ring, and Ghostface having a benign conversation with Casey.

"Do you like Scary Movies?"

Oh man, a Scream maze would be alot like Halloween 4 this year, wouldn't it? Where the beginning section of the movie makes up a ton of the maze; just going through Casey's house with the popped popcorn and Ghostface yelling. Then gutted Brad and the living room, then out the door to Casey's corpse.

Then all that's needed is a short detour through the school and Sidney's house and you can go straight to the house from the climax. No weird transitions or location overload necessary. The maze designs itself!

EDIT: Then, because it's Hollywood, the blackout scares at the end are Ghostface, with Randy screaming "EVERYONE'S A SUSPECT."
I can picture the finale being similar to Halloween 2016's. Have a bunch of black lite Ghostfaces and possibly have a whole row of them waiting to scare you like the Further scene from Insidious.

I really hope that they will be able to do Haunting of Hill House this year. There is so much potential in the show that I would be shocked if it doesn't come. Huge following, great sets, scary characters... and having a great relationship with Netflix while doing Stranger Things this year...
In my opinion, this show is a WAY better show to bring to an event like HHN compared to ST. I don't believe that the Stranger Things mazes (on either coast) were great. I don't believe that it was all Murdy's fault... I feel that the show doesn't have enough horror elements to bring to HHN.
Hill House was such a perfect show for a horror fan like me, and I really hope it makes it.
(I would love the facade of Hill House to be a scaled version of the house or just the porch with the light flashing twice)
What I would like to see are just the gates surrounded by trees and shrubbery. The house could be forced perspective above the entrance (i.e. Orlando's Poltergeist) to make it look like it's in the distance and we would enter through hanging vines and shrubbery at the entrance that also engulfs the gate. The supernatural element of being transported to different places can work for that idea and would make the idea of being suddenly in the mansion work. You wouldn't need to have to worry about the house missing the giant foyer with space and budget restrictions.

I can picture the finale being similar to Halloween 2016's. Have a bunch of black lite Ghostfaces and possibly have a whole row of them waiting to scare you like the Further scene from Insidious.

Haha, like a sort of riff on the only good part of Scream 3. I dig it. Fits in nicely with Randy's rant.

What I would like to see are just the gates surrounded by trees and shrubbery. The house could be forced perspective above the entrance (i.e. Orlando's Poltergeist) to make it look like it's in the distance and we would enter through hanging vines and shrubbery at the entrance that also engulfs the gate. The supernatural element of being transported to different places can work for that idea and would make the idea of being suddenly in the mansion work. You wouldn't need to have to worry about the house missing the giant foyer with space and budget restrictions.

It's an awesome idea and I love that the show has a canonical explanation for awkward transitions. Feel like that sort of thing would require the soundstage though.