Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal moving on from Biometric Lockers

This is around the time when everyone remembers that Universal is indeed owned by Comcast.

I do not think this is the take away people should be having.

This is the time that everyone should remember that the UOR management team still runs their parks like they are a regional park, not the world wide tourist destination they have become

I'll say that it doesn't matter much to me (I like traveling light, minus the Freestyle cup), I can make do with the tiny lockers. I feel bad for people who either lug around larger cameras or children (although young children would probably have a stroller/child swap scenario that would negate the need for a locker entirely). If they really need the money, just tack on a couple bucks onto the entry tickets and/or a couple extra cents for food. It'll add up and keep people slightly more satisfied.

The top tip from today is not to pay for a locker and use 3 or 4 smaller lockers. If people aren’t annoyed by the price, the longer queues will do it.

I have never used lockers before. Can someone take a picture of one of the small lockers opened with something of familiar size inside? I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t fit even a camera.

I have never used lockers before. Can someone take a picture of one of the small lockers opened with something of familiar size inside? I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t fit even a camera.
They're wide and deep but not tall at all. So a souvenir cup fits sideways, but not upright. A fancy camera in a bag will not fit, but a point and shoot in a flexible bag will. Non-flexible camera bags with an SLR may not work cause you can't squish them in. My purse works, but I have to squish it and flatten it out to make it work.

Pro-tip: if you're not a theme photo blogger, you don't need to bring anything with you to the park that won't fit in your pockets.

This is *incredibly* naive. Parents need to bring stuff for their children. People will buy merch bigger than what can fit in the smaller lockers. Sometimes people have cameras bigger than what will fit in the smaller lockers.

Devil’s advocate: This dissuades guests from renting a larger locker if they only need a small. There are other ways to do that, like having TMs out there guarding the large ones and sending folks to small, but nothing keeps people from using something better than charging for it.

Case in point, the new paid fast lane being added down the center of I-4.

Now personally I don’t agree this is the best way to handle it, but I bet that it might have something to do with the decision, especially if the big ones are going first.

Devil’s advocate: This dissuades guests from renting a larger locker if they only need a small. There are other ways to do that, like having TMs out there guarding the large ones and sending folks to small, but nothing keeps people from using something better than charging for it.

Case in point, the new paid fast lane being added down the center of I-4.

Now personally I don’t agree this is the best way to handle it, but I bet that it might have something to do with the decision, especially if the big ones are going first.

The answer is to build more large sized lockers or stop building rides that people can't bring bags on.

The answer is to build more large sized lockers or stop building rides that people can't bring bags on.
True. When they started with the hulk update I was surprised only one section was large lockers.

And they used to let people take things onto rides but cause of morons like the guy getting off MiB to grab his kid’s fallen sunglasses they took away the item bags and hooks that used to be on the RVs.

Somewhat related story: Yesterday, the group behind me getting off Space Mountain lost their shoulder bag on the ride. I wonder how often that happens at WDW. I love that I can take my things onto rides at Disney, but damn do I clutch them tightly throughout the whole ride!

Anyone at the parks today to see if they’re walking back the locker fees yet?

True. When they started with the hulk update I was surprised only one section was large lockers.

And they used to let people take things onto rides but cause of morons like the guy getting off MiB to grab his kid’s fallen sunglasses they took away the item bags and hooks that used to be on the RVs.

Somewhat related story: Yesterday, the group behind me getting off Space Mountain lost their shoulder bag on the ride. I wonder how often that happens at WDW. I love that I can take my things onto rides at Disney, but damn do I clutch them tightly throughout the whole ride!

Anyone at the parks today to see if they’re walking back the locker fees yet?

My trick at Disney is to put my bag in first and put my foot through a loop of my bag and keep my feet grounded for the duration.

Not seen anything to suggest them rolling this back yet.

MIB and Gringotts don’t need lockers IMO. No reason for those to not have item holders on the vehicles.

I can see that the spinning on both, plus the initial drop on Gringotts, might cause some people to let go of their stuff. But if I can put my drawstring back into a netting pouch on Rock n' Rollercoaster (is that still how it is? Haven't ridden since 2012), I think a little tray would hold my stuff on Gringotts.