Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights '19 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If you look closely at the video, you can see the actual legs of the actors clad in something black; since the background is black, we can't see the actual knees very well. The dancing legs are a prop.

Presumably, it'll work the same way it did with the Invisible Man, with a blacklit scene and the "child" on his/her knees.

As to what the gag could be used for, no clue. Gut instinct says it has to do with the ghosts (it requires a black background to work).

EDIT: Also part of the reason why I think it's less likely to be Twin Peaks: The dwarf dances in a very, very red room where it'd be hard to make the gag work. They could do it in just a black space, like how they did the "Great Party" guy in the Shining, but idk. It's not the same...
Ah! You’re onto something! It’s not the short stubby legs that Murdy is interested in, it’s how it’s implemented.

Come to think of it, the way you described how that is similar to the Invisible Man from UM, that could be useful to make the tall man float. Have a scareactor with black legs against a black backdrop carry a large puppet of the tall man and *boom* you have an effect where he looks like he’s floating.

It’s gotta be Hill House.

Last edited:
If you look closely at the video, you can see the actual legs of the actors clad in something black; since the background is black, we can't see the actual knees very well. The dancing legs are a prop.

Presumably, it'll work the same way it did with the Invisible Man, with a blacklit scene and the "child" on his/her knees.

As to what the gag could be used for, no clue. Gut instinct says it has to do with the ghosts (it requires a black background to work).

EDIT: Also part of the reason why I think it's less likely to be Twin Peaks: The dwarf dances in a very, very red room where it'd be hard to make the gag work. They could do it in just a black space, like how they did the "Great Party" guy in the Shining, but idk. It's not the same...
I didn't really think Twin Peaks was a legitimate possibility, since they would probably just get a little person to be the Dream Man, it was just the first thing that popped into my head, probably right about the leg effect though

Reactions: rageofthegods
Ah! You’re onto something! It’s not the short stubby legs that Murdy is interested in, it’s how it’s implemented.

Come to think of it, the way you described how that is similar to the Invisible Man from UM, that could be useful to make the tall man float. Have a scareactor with black legs against a black backdrop carry a large puppet of the tall man and *boom* you have an effect where he looks like he’s floating.

It’s gotta be Hill House.

Always thought Tall Man would be one of those big La Llorona / The Thing puppets with the big arms, but that would be so much cooler. I am feeling this maze.

I didn't really think Twin Peaks was a legitimate possibility, since they would probably just get a little person to be the Dream Man, it was just the first thing that popped into my head, probably right about the leg effect though

Naww, it's cool, I get it.

Honestly, I get the gut feeling that Twin Peaks will show up someday. It's just too big a property, with too much iconography.

EDIT: Hear me out guys.

Black Christmas.

Classic slasher that was one of the main classics of the genre. It has one major, iconic moment with the smothered woman in the attic. It's got awesome scare potential with the dark bedroom and the obscene phone calls and the carolers and the eyes peering out from the door crack. It's got a few problems with the killer never being seen, but they could get around that with just literally making him a dark mask with eyes on it.

It was distributed by WB, but the remake was distributed by MGM, which let Uni use Poltergeist.

It's the perfect Metro-Set maze, alongside Killer Klownz. Living room with the phone call to Attic to bedroom to living room to basement to finale. Bam. Paying homage to another classic.

Last edited:
EDIT: Hear me out guys.

Black Christmas.

Classic slasher that was one of the main classics of the genre. It has one major, iconic moment with the smothered woman in the attic. It's got awesome scare potential with the dark bedroom and the obscene phone calls and the carolers and the eyes peering out from the door crack. It's got a few problems with the killer never being seen, but they could get around that with just literally making him a dark mask with eyes on it.

It was distributed by WB, but the remake was distributed by MGM, which let Uni use Poltergeist.

It's the perfect Metro-Set maze, alongside Killer Klownz. Living room with the phone call to Attic to bedroom to living room to basement to finale. Bam. Paying homage to another classic.

THANK YOU!!!! I’ve been hoping for Black Christmas for so long, that and Suspiria are the perfect cult classic mazes.

Black Christmas has sets, variety, and an easy facade with the Sorority and could have original scenes like what happened with Billy and Agnes. And they could reuse bits and pieces of the Unfriended and Purge sets

I was just thinking about it but if HDD does come to the event this year as a Solo Maze with 1 and 2 (Which I see as very likely) it would actually work perfectly as the Password maze.
IMG_8a5w9o.jpg
Just have some guy out in front of the maze handing out Bayfield Merchandise as the password reward similar to when they were handing out random items at the start of the event for the First Purge.
IMG_nrq67s.jpg
And also you can have the William's Hall as the facade and have a more scaled down version like Orlando did in Blumhouse 2.

Wouldn’t doubt if the marketing trio this year is Stranger Things 2, Haunting of Hill House, & Hellraiser or Happy Death Day 1&2. Curious to see what else they put in the lineup; hopefully we’ll get an original along with UCM 2.0 and then this lineup would be pretty solid

Reactions: marip123
THANK YOU!!!! I’ve been hoping for Black Christmas for so long, that and Suspiria are the perfect cult classic mazes.

Black Christmas has sets, variety, and an easy facade with the Sorority and could have original scenes like what happened with Billy and Agnes. And they could reuse bits and pieces of the Unfriended and Purge sets

As much as I'd be down for Black Christmas, preferably the original one, to come to HHN, I could easily see Murdy tweet about how it's not, in his opinion, an IP that can transfer well to an attraction because of the fact that we never see Billy, and that "it's apart of the movie's creepy atmosphere of never seeing his actual appearance" or some argument like that. Very similar to Mike Aiello's reason for not doing A Quiet Place in regards to atmosphere. Doesn't mean I'd agree, but it's just something I can see him tweet in response to someone suggesting Black Christmas.

Double post; sorry

Also, it sucks that, most likely, we'd never get John Carpenter's The Thing, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and Hellraiser in the same year, because of budgetary restraints (especially if Stranger Things 2 and Haunting of Hill House are coming as well).

Wouldn’t doubt if the marketing trio this year is Stranger Things 2, Haunting of Hill House, & Hellraiser or Happy Death Day 1&2. Curious to see what else they put in the lineup; hopefully we’ll get an original along with UCM 2.0 and then this lineup would be pretty solid

I was thinking Haunting of Hill House, !Classic Property!, and Hellraiser/Child's Play. It feels like the marketing for these always revolves around "TV show" (so AHS, Walking Dead and Stranger Things), long-running franchise (TCM, Saw, Halloween, Insidious in 2015), and then a big classic property (Exorcist, Shining, Poltergeist). Not always, but it's a pretty reliable formula.

I don't think they'll deviate from that formula this year. Stranger Things and Hill House could both be the TV series (I'll go Hill House mostly because of novelty and the fact that it wasn't rated very well here in Hollywood), Hellraiser and Child's Play are both major slasher franchises - Probably Child's Play due to less rights entanglement and the fact that it's bigger at the Box Office - and then a classic property, which we could speculate to be anything from The Thing to Twilight Zone to Hitchcock to what-have-you.

Weird little note: Even though Pinhead is wayyyy more popular than Candyman, Candyman actually made almost double the amount Hellraiser did at the BO when adjusted for inflation. That first part is probably because of sequels - Candyman had a much higher budget than Hellraiser and was considered a flop - but it's still cool to imagine a weird, alternate timeline where Candyman was one of the semi-big slashers like Ghostface or Chucky.

As much as I'd be down for Black Christmas, preferably the original one, to come to HHN, I could easily see Murdy tweet about how it's not, in his opinion, an IP that can transfer well to an attraction because of the fact that we never see Billy, and that "it's apart of the movie's creepy atmosphere of never seeing his actual appearance" or some argument like that. Very similar to Mike Aiello's reason for not doing A Quiet Place in regards to atmosphere. Doesn't mean I'd agree, but it's just something I can see him tweet in response to someone suggesting Black Christmas.

I'm sure that'll be the response, but honestly, I think it's just a tough pitch to make.

Murdy: Hey! I'm writing a maze and I was really excited to show it to you-
Budget-master: What is it.
Murdy: It's the venerable classic Black Christmas, made by the guy who directed A Christmas Story! Gee, isn't that kooky? Say, did you know? This film actually went on to inspire John Carpenter's-
Budget-master: Is it popular.
Murdy: ...It's Canadian.
Budget-master: Do Freddy. Stick 'im in one of those Blumhouse mazes.

I guess it's just...how many people know Black Christmas, outside of a sect of die-hard slasher fans? Then again, how many people know Trick R Treat or Krampus...

Last edited:
Original maze. Gotta be. He's been talking about it so much. He even said at one point that he needs to work with a rapper to get the backstory out.

He said that he needs a Music artist to make a Song about it or possibly a Rap for the GP to understand the complicated story.

But I do agree in that it would make sense that he is referring to the Original Maze.

Totally off-the-wall and totally not happening this coming year, but one of these days, after seeing Opechee Haunt's take on it, I would LOVE to see a Donnie Darko house.

He said that he needs a Music artist to make a Song about it or possibly a Rap for the GP to understand the complicated story.

But I do agree in that it would make sense that he is referring to the Original Maze.

Hmmm.....Original maze with a rapper, mentioning "pheasants"....sounds like the scrapped Mexican maze. "Wacky fun" clearly being Killer Klowns, and the hints that show the first one may be Hill House.

Does Murdy even care about making speculation difficult anymore?

Hmmm.....Original maze with a rapper, mentioning "pheasants"....sounds like the scrapped Mexican maze. "Wacky fun" clearly being Killer Klowns, and the hints that show the first one may be Hill House.

Does Murdy even care about making speculation difficult anymore?

He knows it's all gonna get leaked.

Reactions: Freak
Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe they would want to do a Crypt TV maze? Like a few people have mentioned it (@Fallow being one of them) but like it works pretty well for the event.

Unlike the Horrors of Blumhouse the Universe is already connected and you could easily have 1 scene per Monster/Creature. Or just did 3 Short films in the Mashup just like AHS and Blumhouse. Which wouldn't be hard to find as they would probably do The Birch, Sunny Family Cult, and Look See. And it could fit the Criteria of the Mashup maze for the year (Aside from Monsters). And would work in FDTD just like AHS and Blumhouse 2.

Plus ever since 2017 there have been 2 Blumhouse Mazes at the event. 2017: Insidious and The Horrors of Blumhouse. 2018: The First Purge and the Horrors of Blumhouse. It would make sense that 2019 wouldn't have Blumhouse 3 because Blumhouse 2 was the lowest rated maze of 2018 and there's not many properties left to use other than the ones they have already done. Crypt TV is owned by Blumhouse/Jason Blum so it would make sense that would be the next Blumhouse. So 2019 would be HDD and Crypt TV. Plus the big screen where they project clips from the Show of AHS they could totally use to project Crypt TV Horror Shorts and additionally they already do play the Shorts in the Tram line. Then also Crypt TV has been extremely supportive of people wanting a maze often replying to them asking what they want to see and liking and possibly retweeting it.

Has anyone considered the possibility that maybe they would want to do a Crypt TV maze? Like a few people have mentioned it (@Fallow being one of them) but like it works pretty well for the event.

Unlike the Horrors of Blumhouse the Universe is already connected and you could easily have 1 scene per Monster/Creature. Or just did 3 Short films in the Mashup just like AHS and Blumhouse. Which wouldn't be hard to find as they would probably do The Birch, Sunny Family Cult, and Look See. And it could fit the Criteria of the Mashup maze for the year (Aside from Monsters). And would work in FDTD just like AHS and Blumhouse 2.

Plus ever since 2017 there have been 2 Blumhouse Mazes at the event. 2017: Insidious and The Horrors of Blumhouse. 2018: The First Purge and the Horrors of Blumhouse. It would make sense that 2019 wouldn't have Blumhouse 3 because Blumhouse 2 was the lowest rated maze of 2018 and there's not many properties left to use other than the ones they have already done. Crypt TV is owned by Blumhouse/Jason Blum so it would make sense that would be the next Blumhouse. So 2019 would be HDD and Crypt TV. Plus the big screen where they project clips from the Show of AHS they could totally use to project Crypt TV Horror Shorts and additionally they already do play the Shorts in the Tram line. Then also Crypt TV has been extremely supportive of people wanting a maze often replying to them asking what they want to see and liking and possibly retweeting it.

I was actually just thinking of Blumhouse 3, because the synopsis for Jordan Peele's Us just got released and it sounds alot easier to translate than Get Out ever was. HDD and Us seem like a cool way to tie it all together, and they could continue with that Blumhouse-logo horror movie idea.

Synopsis:

A mother (Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o from Black Panther, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and 12 Years a Slave) and a father (Winston Duke from Black Panther) take their kids to their beach house expecting to unplug and unwind with friends (including Emmy winner Elizabeth Moss from TV series The Handmaid’s Tale). But as night descends, their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some shocking visitors arrive uninvited.

Crypt TV, I feel like with it showing up in the queues this year, it's more and more likely to come in some capacity. I think someone mentioned them all coming to the Terror Tram, which honestly makes alot of sense to me. Look-See could take over Bates Motel, Sunny could show up at the Bates house, Birch could show up at that little wooded area going into WotW, etc.

I was actually just thinking of Blumhouse 3, because the synopsis for Jordan Peele's Us just got released and it sounds alot easier to translate than Get Out ever was. HDD and Us seem like a cool way to tie it all together, and they could continue with that Blumhouse-logo horror movie idea.

Synopsis:

A mother (Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o from Black Panther, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and 12 Years a Slave) and a father (Winston Duke from Black Panther) take their kids to their beach house expecting to unplug and unwind with friends (including Emmy winner Elizabeth Moss from TV series The Handmaid’s Tale). But as night descends, their serenity turns to tension and chaos when some shocking visitors arrive uninvited.

Crypt TV, I feel like with it showing up in the queues this year, it's more and more likely to come in some capacity. I think someone mentioned them all coming to the Terror Tram, which honestly makes alot of sense to me. Look-See could take over Bates Motel, Sunny could show up at the Bates house, Birch could show up at that little wooded area going into WotW, etc.
I feel like they would want to want to stray away from doing another Horrors of Blumhouse and just focus on Solo Blumhouse property mazes possibly. Since Blumhouse 2 was the lowest rated maze of that year. And I don't think they would continue with the Girl/Blumhouse Logo for various reasons. But I don't see Us at the event. I do see HDD.

I would say Crypt TV as Tram if you didn't have the Chainsaw Bridge and then the War of the Worlds part. Because Sunny Family Cult would work great at Bates Motel. With Mordeo and Birch at the Part before the WotW sets. And also Look-See with the Cabin at the end. But then what do you do for the Chainsaw bridge and WotW sets.

I think solely that they are gonna continue with the 2 Blumhouse mazes and that those 2 will be HDD and Crypt TV.

I feel like they would want to want to stray away from doing another Horrors of Blumhouse and just focus on Solo Blumhouse property mazes possibly. Since Blumhouse 2 was the lowest rated maze of that year. And I don't think they would continue with the Girl/Blumhouse Logo for various reasons. But I don't see Us at the event. I do see HDD.

I would say Crypt TV as Tram if you didn't have the Chainsaw Bridge and then the War of the Worlds part. Because Sunny Family Cult would work great at Bates Motel. With Mordeo and Birch at the Part before the WotW sets. And also Look-See with the Cabin at the end. But then what do you do for the Chainsaw bridge and WotW sets.

I think solely that they are gonna continue with the 2 Blumhouse mazes and that those 2 will be HDD and Crypt TV.

Personally, I don't think Blumhouse was ever the problem with this year's maze, but rather it was the properties used. After all, according to Murdy, Blumhouse was the highest rated house in 2017. If they put in Happy Death Day and something else with genuine goodwill towards it, I think they can flesh out a third Blumhouse. Also, Blumhouse has a lot of unreleased movies on its slate that haven't been announced yet, it's possible that they can come along at some point.

For the Tram: given how they've had full-grown Chuckies as the Chainsaw Bridge in the past, I really do think they could just fill it up with a brigade of chainsaw-wielding Look-Sees. Maybe throw in that Ice Cream Truck guy with the fingers. WotW...The zombie one, maybe? Gaia's revenge? I'm honestly kind of in-love with the idea of Crypt-Tram, if only because Birch in the woods would be such a cool visual.

If a Crypt Tv maze to happen then it should include Mordeo, Look-see, Kinderfanger, Mira, The Mimic, and The Thing in the apartment. This maze would be more like Trick R Treat where it tells different stories. What if they did HOB but its only Crypt Tv?

Personally, I don't think Blumhouse was ever the problem with this year's maze, but rather it was the properties used. After all, according to Murdy, Blumhouse was the highest rated house in 2017. If they put in Happy Death Day and something else with genuine goodwill towards it, I think they can flesh out a third Blumhouse. Also, Blumhouse has a lot of unreleased movies on its slate that haven't been announced yet, it's possible that they can come along at some point.

For the Tram: given how they've had full-grown Chuckies as the Chainsaw Bridge in the past, I really do think they could just fill it up with a brigade of chainsaw-wielding Look-Sees. Maybe throw in that Ice Cream Truck guy with the fingers. WotW...The zombie one, maybe? Gaia's revenge? I'm honestly kind of in-love with the idea of Crypt-Tram, if only because Birch in the woods would be such a cool visual.
I just think that most of the Shorts take place on the inside so it would make a lot more sense to have the stories be in a maze setting. Some pretty popular stories you can't do because it's in Tram or it's a Zone. The only character I could see for Chainsaw Crew is multiple characters wearing similar but different masks from the character at 2:15 in the Horror Short "Steroscope".

And again the WotW sets don't really play in the favor of Crypt TV. Unless you just took a bunch of characters and just randomly threw them into the WotW sets which I don't think they would do.

The Birch in the Woods would be a cool visual but I just see it in a maze. You already could have a forest sequence in a maze with characters that apply to a forest setting (Look-See Season 2, The Birch, Mordeo, The Door in the Woods, etc.) And then you have the more inside settings (Steroscope, Look See Season 1, Hospice, Shelley, Stoneheart, Thing in the Apartment, and Sunny Family Cult). And this is just characters from the Connected Monster Verse.
This maze would be more like Trick R Treat where it tells different stories. What if they did HOB but its only Crypt Tv?
Discover the Crypt Monster Universe! - YouTube
There is a connected Monster Universe of a ton of characters that totally work in a maze sense. It would just play out better to me than a Tram or Zone.