Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

Kind of ironic that with all the hoopla Disney gets for their movies, they're still the only major studio that's never won an Oscar for Best Picture. If this ends up being the first, color me impressed.

Kind of ironic that with all the hoopla Disney gets for their movies, they're still the only major studio that's never won an Oscar for Best Picture. If this ends up being the first, color me impressed.

A fact that bugged Walt Disney when he was alive.. the person who's won the most Oscars in Oscar history.. never won for Best Picture.. his only nomination for the award being the original Mary Poppins.. so if this one wins, it'll be a nice vindication for Walt.. who by the way, would have been 117 years old today :) Happy Birthday, Walt..

Rephrase trending and buzzing domestic and in Europe. Elsewhere its been kinda dead.
I had completely forgotten about it until I saw a commercial a couple days ago. And even with that, I had no idea it was coming out this month.

It's going to get swallowed by Spider-verse.

I think they both sound fairly bland, unfortunately. Not bad, but rather uninspired.

You can clearly hear that second one trying to hard for some Sherman Brothers influence, but it's just not all that catchy. At least on first listen. "Step in Time" it ain't.

A fact that bugged Walt Disney when he was alive.. the person who's won the most Oscars in Oscar history.. never won for Best Picture.. his only nomination for the award being the original Mary Poppins.. so if this one wins, it'll be a nice vindication for Walt.. who by the way, would have been 117 years old today :) Happy Birthday, Walt..
I thought he won Best Picture for Snow White and the Seven Dwarves?

Two songs dropped from the soundtrack...the songs are kinda weak especially for a time of movie musicals.

Disagree (potentially). It all depends on context.

First song could be perfect depending on the setting during the movie. Possibly even emotional. If I were to play you “Remember Me” from Coco with no context, it would also sound weak. Yet not a dry eye.

Second clearly could be more than fine depending on the dance routines. Similar to “that’s how you know” in Enchanted. “Meh” song, yet a wonderful scene.

Having listened to the soundtrack now, I have to say I am impressed. It sounds like what a Mary Poppins movie should sound like, if that makes sense.

UP would like to have some words with you.
And WALL*E, and Toy Story 3.
Apologies you are correct Up and Toy Story 3 were nominated as well but not Wall*E. Yet as @OLSinFLA said, Beauty and the Beast did it when only five films were selected not the bump to 10 films which made it easier.

It is also the only traditionally animated film to be nominated.

But I’ll admit my mistake be it with an asterisk mark.

Two songs dropped from the soundtrack...the songs are kinda weak especially for a time of movie musicals.

I disagree, at least on the first - still need to give the second a listen. But the first one certainly gives the feel of a Poppins song. It has the gentle tug of "Feed the Birds" but appears to be more emotionally weighty due to this films plot.

Last edited: