Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

That Darn Marvel Contract – What Rights Does Universal and Disney Own

Anyways, I really miss "I think this time it's going to work!" I've heard rumors that the reason they gave it a new story was to reduce mentions of the character Bruce Banner to cut down on how much they had to pay Disney? Any truth to this (do they even have to pay Disney)?
No. More likely is it was just an artistic choice. The story is about us getting Hulked out, and our journey more than his.

And it's easier/cheaper to not hire an actor at all. Plus, now there's no disconnect between Ruffalo, or whoever plays him in the future, and the character in your mind.

But there's no way they pay Disney any less due to any changes. And if anything, this new update sees more Marvel characters added that weren't really mentioned in the original iteration, with General Ross and other various characters' names posted around the lab/government testing site.

Nah. Miles and Gwen would be Disney like Guardians IMO. Weren’t really related during time of contract as they are both recent creations.
You mean Gwen Stacy? The girl Green Goblin killed in like 1970? That ain't it, chief.

I wish they’d enclosed the helix before the final brake run and installed the big statue that they use for special events. Throw in some strobes and IOA’s got its own Disco Hulk!

Anything would have been better than the mess that’s back there just now.

My point, snarky though it was, is that Gwen isn't Disney, as she was part of the Spider-family when the contract was signed.

Now if Disney was signing my paychecks, I could probably make a semi-coherent argument that a hoodie/legging-clad woman with spider powers is ok, just as long as we don't specifically call her "Spider-Gwen."

Mouse actually tried that once before during the Iron Man II premiere with a live appearance by the Iron Patriot, despite Rhodey/War Machine clearly being in the Avengers family. (And I guess he was Norman Osborne in the comics--but again, Spidey family.) Never heard of any blowback, but it ended up being a one-time appearance.

Again, there are very few obvious answers here--the contract was written to reflect a very different situation than the one that exists in 2018. I do think, because he's "Spider-Man," Miles is off-limits ... but the lawyers who drafted the contract never anticipated that Spidey's dead girlfriend would one day be resurrected as an independent superhero possibly with her own movie (let alone that Disney would own said character, and even contemplate including her in their park).

Now if Disney was signing my paychecks, I could probably make a semi-coherent argument that a hoodie/legging-clad woman with spider powers is ok, just as long as we don't specifically call her "Spider-Gwen."

Mouse actually tried that once before during the Iron Man II premiere with a live appearance by the Iron Patriot, despite Rhodey/War Machine clearly being in the Avengers family. (And I guess he was Norman Osborne in the comics--but again, Spidey family.) Never heard of any blowback, but it ended up being a one-time appearance.

Again, there are very few obvious answers here--the contract was written to reflect a very different situation than the one that exists in 2018. I do think, because he's "Spider-Man," Miles is off-limits ... but the lawyers who drafted the contract never anticipated that Spidey's dead girlfriend would one day be resurrected as an independent superhero possibly with her own movie (let alone that Disney would own said character, and even contemplate including her in their park).
And this stuff (plus construction) is why I follow the swamp parks.

Whether or not a resurrected dead girl was the same character as she was pre-death is about 1.5 more nerdy a thought than I ever expected to have thunk. Congratulations sir. :)

She's an X-Man? She's an alien, not a mutant.

Haven't seen movie yet, but based on previews I'd say Kree are pretty tightly associated with X-Men (and any Skrull a Fantastic 4 villain). But definite Avenger as well, her predecessor version may only have been in "Avengers" when the contract was signed.

Haven't seen movie yet, but based on previews I'd say Kree are pretty tightly associated with X-Men (and any Skrull a Fantastic 4 villain). But definite Avenger as well, her predecessor version may only have been in "Avengers" when the contract was signed.
:thumbsup:Yes. You are correct....Kree and Skrulls were actually first associated with the Fantastic Four....so yes, they go wayyyyy back in time during the 1960's.