Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

More gore doesn’t mean scary; or good (see Saw films). Gore for the sake of gore is gratuitous and can be obnoxious.

I think a perfect example of gore this year was in Carnival, when you walked under the construction vehicle with smashed remains stuck on the smashing tool; with blooded skin hanging off.

Some years you’ll have a victim in a blender, some years you won’t. Y’all play up this gore thing way too much.

I like gore when it makes sense in the context of the house, or if it's used creatively (for example, a lot of the stuff in Revenge of Chucky.)

But gore just to have gore.. yeah, don't like that.

Halloween HORROR Nights is a visual sensory experience, not a movie, so keep the gore coming. In fact I want even more of it. Guts, blood, brains, bones, eye balls, hearts, bring it on.

But HORROR doesn’t automatically mean gore. You can have an amazing visual sensory experience and have a cohesive entertaining horror story (at HHN) without an overload of guts, blood, brains, bones, eye balls & hearts.

Well yeah, of course you can, but you can also have amazing products like Body Collectors and even The Carnage Returns scare zone show which represent the gore spectrum of HHN. I almost always prefer gory scenes over flying witches on trampolines because they have a lasting effect.

The other thing HHN needs more of are organized scare sequences like the one in Tomb of the Ancients and the finale of Blumhouse 1.0.

I’m not saying that the pretty houses and the paranormal stuff isn’t fun, it is and it adds variety, but the absence of gore from HHN always leads to a flat year. That’s why I’m for more gore.

Nobody’s worried about gore, but to downplay its importance in an event like Halloween Horror Nights is just silly. Gore offers a level of grit that is needed for a healthy event. Case closed.

I don’t think anyone was downplaying it. Just pointing out it’s not a necessity for a successful event; or the “lack of” is a sign of a “kiddie friendly” event.

Either way, yes it’s time to move on.