Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Six Flags Magic Mountain

I thought they couldn't afford B&M any longer.

Instead of another coaster, they should:

-Repaint Tatsu
-Re-model the front gate
-Refurb Samurai Summit
-Refurb Baja Ridge
-Remodel the other restrooms in the park
-Give Viper new trains/track instead of just systems overhaul
-Replace 90's TV's with 4k HDR TV's (It's time)
-Refurb X2
-Add a dark ride (unlikely)
-Add a cool flat ride (likely)
-Open a new land/ride geared for kids

Completely agree. Last I heard Tatsu will be next on the radar to get painted, we will see.

If they’re going to spend that kind of money at SFMM, why not use it on a Giga? I would not be opposed to a B&M dive machine, but give me my Giga first!

I don’t see B&M as an option right now as they’re seemingly just going with cheaper manufacturers like RMC, Premire, and S&S. I could see them working with B&M again later in the next decade.

Also, didn’t they lose interest in this when Knott’s added Hangtime?

Same, I put on the survey that the Dive Machine was just going to be an over saturation of coasters at the park.

Talked to a source who said SFGAM and SFA also received the same survey. The survey also asked our thoughts on a single-rail coaster.

-----------

The plans before Neil came in were to have a major single capita investment for SFMM's 50th. Rumor I always heard was a mega coaster (presumably giga). With the addition of West Coast Racers it seems obvious plans have changed so I'm still holding out for hope that our 50th is still something special. While I trust and love Neil, I would appreciate something that put SFMM back on the map.

Dive machines do look great visually, but they're personally my least favorite B&M style. Once you do the initial drop, the rest of the ride tends to be a yawn. That said, they are generally a hit with the GP.

But as Freak said, I don't really know why SFMM would put in a dive machine with Hangtime just opening so recently. I guess they could make a "bigger, taller" version... but I'd really hope for something else for their 50th (if this is in fact what it's for). The elusive Giga would be the Holy Grail here, as would an extended single-rail coaster.

But yeah, having WCR for next year does throw a wrench in the planning. I think SFMM may have put themselves in a bit of a spot here... as known as the "roller coaster capital of the world", a lot of people (I would imagine even GP) would be pretty pissed off (or at the very least, confused) if they didn't put in coaster for their 50th. At the same time, if the coaster isn't impressive, or there's not coaster at all, just as many people will find it a pretty weak offering.

I've always felt what the park is missing, coaster-wise, is a wild mouse. Or an El Loco. But I'd have to admit, a wild mouse would be a pretty weak 50th anniversary coaster announcement. An El Loco could work, if they got one of the insane models first demonstrated. But I don't really see that happening, either.

Aren’t B&M dive coasters way cheaper than a Intamin or B&M Giga? Plus dive coasters are insanely popular with the GP as previously stated.

If they are building tall... Viper is probably getting the axe.

It would make sense since I don't know where else they would build a Giga. Dive or mega coaster.

Though considering they are about to complete a massive systems overhaul on Viper, it would be a bit strange to spend capital on something that will be torn down.

I would look at Roaring Rapids as an expansion area. There was a rumor it was on its way out already and Six Flags seems to be phasing out many water rides to try and push people into the water parks.

I would look at Roaring Rapids as an expansion area. There was a rumor it was on its way out already and Six Flags seems to be phasing out many water rides to try and push people into the water parks.

I'm not happy about this if this is what they are planning. SFMM needs every water ride it can get, especially after the removal of Log Jammer.

They're not very popular, ironically, Roaring Rapids appears to be the only one that is, but it's removal has popped up on various circumstances

Baja Ridge refurb is a good move.

I'm a little surprised by all the wrong reports that Apocalypse was going to be re-themed. I think it's been confirmed that it's staying with exactly the same name and theme.

The initial press release actually said Apocalypse would get rethemed. I'm surprised they opted out of it but it makes sense with the budget cuts and all. Could've made the theme after project cars to fit in with West Coast Racers.

Also of note - SFMM has a lifetime buyout for the IP that goes with WCR, which is very interesting and relieving.