Sonic The Hedgehog (2019) | Inside Universal Forums

Sonic The Hedgehog (2019)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
...well, here we are to where this dumpster fire is happening.

The film is being directed by Jeff Fowler (...a visual researcher for Where the Wild Things Are), as it stars Ben Schwartz as Sonic and Jim Carrey as Doctor Robotnik.

..And as it seems so-far, this film is being hated on nearly instantly by the Sonic community in general; and it seems that SEGA may not be a fan of the design to begin with.

Reactions: Magic-Man
Considering how amazing 2019 looks for films (Avengers: Endgame, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Detective Pikachu etc.), there had to be at least one film that looks to be a bona' fide trainwreck. An to be brutally honest, it wouldn't be a Sonic film if it -didn't- look like one.

I agree with what @Joe said on twitter, when it comes to what we can see of the design of Sonic, the main problem so far is his human legs. At the moment they just stick out in all the wrong ways, and it doesn't help they're front and center in the poster that just got put up.

So looking at the wiki, Ben Schwartz is the voice of Sonic (Dewey of Ducktales and Leonardo of the current TMNT series.), James Marsden is the human Sherriff of Green Hills who befriends Sonic and Jim Carrey is Dr. Robotnik...yeeup.

Paramount: Hey SEGA, we're going to make a Sonic movie!

SEGA: Awesome!

Paramount: Any tips?

SEGA: Well, watch the 1993 Super Mario Brothers movie. Perfect film to know what NOT to do.

Paramount: Ah so we should watch this to know what to do huh?

SEGA: NO. NO. What not.

Paramount: What not not to do. Got it. We'll examine it closely.

SEGA: ...well the check already cleared so eh, whatever.

While I admit, the legs are off-putting; are we really saying this is going to be a dumpster fire based on a movie poster?

Last edited:
Reactions: youhow2
It's too soon to judge Sonic's design. Paramount's just trying to hype the teaser that's probably coming with Bumblebee next week. I still expect Sonic to have a face similar to the games.

While odd, clearly capitalizing on social media and how runners/athletes always post pictures like this.

I’ll wait until a trailer is released to judge. I really didn’t think much of Detective Pikachu until the trailer. So let’s see. Sonic is another staple of my childhood so I hope it’s a good representation.

Sonic-Movie-Art-Promo-2-1024x1024.jpg

There's a right way to do live action of gaming animals: see Detective Pikachu.

And then there's a wrong way to do live action of gaming animals: see whatever this is.

This looks like a huge mistake; there's just something off about the pictures and stills that they're showing of Sonic. The pokemon in Detective Pikachu at least look somewhat plausible in their real world setting.

This doesn't look like it will fit in at all; it looks like a furry suit like Barney.