Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if Universal would produces a show in a theater on City Walk 2 with Academy Of Villain (like Blue Man and Cirque)?

Personally, I would rather see something with a bit of variety - maybe going more to comedy, or maybe a magic show? Something that would stand out more than another music-based show. (I put dance troupes in that same category, as they typically dance to music.) Obviously, AoV, Blue Man and Cirque are all very different types of shows, but they still fall along the same broad category. I feel like spicing it up would give a good reason to go to CityWalk 2, rather than just go to whatever show is closer.

When you walk off the moving sidewalks and are near the movie theater, you're actually on the second floor. Notice how you slowly walk downhill as you walk closer to the parks. The parks are on ground level. The clubs are level 3. The ground level entrance to the CityWalk tunnels is actually right next to the path near Margaritaville as you start to walk towards RPR, CBBR and Aventura.

citywalk entrance.jpg

For anybody who wants a visual reference for the entrance.

Personally, I would rather see something with a bit of variety - maybe going more to comedy, or maybe a magic show? Something that would stand out more than another music-based show. (I put dance troupes in that same category, as they typically dance to music.) Obviously, AoV, Blue Man and Cirque are all very different types of shows, but they still fall along the same broad category. I feel like spicing it up would give a good reason to go to CityWalk 2, rather than just go to whatever show is closer.

Though I'd like to see comedy or magic, I feel for a ticketed show in this location it's got to be a top tier star or bust. BMG & Cirque can charge top dollar because people know what they are going to get. I'm not sure enough vacationers are going to risk it for Jon Doe and Joe Blow. But maybe it could work as a restaurant or club with live performances.

Reactions: truejonas
Has anyone actually heard anything about Citywalk 2.0 happening?

I've previously been taking it as an obvious foregone conclusion, but the infrastructure plans have me wondering if there won't actually be a new Citywalk in phase 1, or that if they do build something it will just be a universal store and a couple restaurants rather than a full Citywalk type area.

Reactions: youhow2

I've previously been taking it as an obvious foregone conclusion, but the infrastructure plans have me wondering if there won't actually be a new Citywalk in phase 1, or that if they do build something it will just be a universal store and a couple restaurants rather than a full Citywalk type area.
I personally don't believe that it will be happening in phase 1 but that's just an opinion. If anything, like you said, I think it may be a restaurant and store in the front, just like how rainforest cafe is in front of animal kingdom or how the old hard rock cafe used to be near the front of universal studios before the move to it's current location.

It probably means nothing as this is where the warehouse is going but it could also mean that they're raising the resort height which may allow for rides to go underground or something similar to utilidors.

The resort height limit is 400 ft which is higher than the other resort so they very well may utilize it as its also a huge land saver building up rather than out.

As for the citywalk stuff...groups like AoV and Jabbas, do have outside aspirations than workng at theme parks. These are competitive dance crews who choreograph, go on tour with musical artists, and do competitions. Theme parks are just a small thing they do for a short season to make sure they have funds to survive. So no I don't think Universal will do anything regarding any dance crew doing a full time show.

The Orange County Convention Center is a stone trow away. Conventioneers don't spent their own money so they like to eat well and stay in expansive hotels. Money is not an option. I'm positive Universal will cater to that crowd on their CityWalk 2 (or VillageWalk). Building restaurants, entertainment venues and restaurants is cheap compared to a theme park but brings in a ton of money. So business wise it's a no brainer.

The Orange County Convention Center is a stone trow away. Conventioneers don't spent their own money so they like to eat well and stay in expansive hotels. Money is not an option. I'm positive Universal will cater to that crowd on their CityWalk 2 (or VillageWalk). Building restaurants, entertainment venues and restaurants is cheap compared to a theme park but brings in a ton of money. So business wise it's a no brainer.
Yes, it makes complete business sense to do so. Universal would be greatly amiss if they didn't take advantage of that 'perfect location' opportunity.

I don’t think you found capacity but more that you found Universals expectations for busy day guest count at the new park.

For reference Universal Studios Hollywood can hold more than 40,000+ guests at max before lockdown, and done so several times over the last year.

Magic Kingdom can do 65,000 before phase 1 capacity is reached and they have criteria for entry. Max capacity before lockdown is presumed close to 100,000. Averages almost 57,000 guests a day from attendance figures.

Epcot max presumed 95,000.

Animal Kingdom max presumed 65,000.

Hollywood Studios 75,000(I believe when park is fully opened though)

Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure are hard to find but average daily visitors by attendance look to be close to 30,000.

Enjoy

DAK and DHS are nowhere near that. At all.

@Legacy is right about USF being around 50k and I’ve heard IoA is around the 40ks.

Last edited by a moderator:

This can't be stated enough. The guy looking after us in Strong Water Tavern in September was basically saying that they make a killing off the convention crowd. Company credit cards and people who love to eat and drink, Universal would be foolish to ignore it.

Yea, I just don't think the parking lot is more than 2 football fields away from the park entrance for no reason ;-)

I believe there will be a multi-story complex, with the service entrance on ground level and entertainment/dining starting on at least the second level. The expansion is about keeping guests on property spending money longer, if they've got to go all the way back to the original resort many would just stop on Idrive instead.

I think it would be laid out differently if the plan was to have a hotel at the gate. It doesn't make sense to make everybody walk thru a hotel to get to the park. But on the subject of hotels some of the detached parcels could be built out more for the business traveler, and the attached parcels built out for the vacationers.

It's not really a stone's throw away; the distance between the two is over a mile and further than anyone will reasonably want to walk. And wouldn't those people be just as happy with nice restaurants in their hotels?

This can't be stated enough. The guy looking after us in Strong Water Tavern in September was basically saying that they make a killing off the convention crowd. Company credit cards and people who love to eat and drink, Universal would be foolish to ignore it.
Is this convention crowd primarily people attending events at OCCC or mostly those who have conferences in the meeting space at SF?

It's not really a stone's throw away; the distance between the two is over a mile and further than anyone will reasonably want to walk. And wouldn't those people be just as happy with nice restaurants in their hotels?

Is this convention crowd primarily people attending events at OCCC or mostly those who have conferences in the meeting space at SF?

I’d imagine the ones staying at SF. Universal has the genius marketing of having a convention at Universal, you bring your family and they go to the parks during the day while you work. Meet up later at CityWalk for dinner or you go alone and get a solid drink service at Strong Water.

I’d imagine the ones staying at SF. Universal has the genius marketing of having a convention at Universal, you bring your family and they go to the parks during the day while you work. Meet up later at CityWalk for dinner or you go alone and get a solid drink service at Strong Water.

I was pretty surprised at how strong the convention crowd was during our visit last week. I had no idea how prominent it was at UO. At Portofino there were at least 2 different groups for conventions and I saw more as we resort hopped to SF and RPR.

To be honest, it was a bit off putting at PBH. One night my wife and I really wanted to check out the Thirsty Fish but it was like a massive good ol’ boys club with obnoxious middle aged men smoking cigars, each guy trying to see if they could be the loudest.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I was pretty surprised at how strong the convention crowd was during our visit last week. I had no idea how prominent it was at UO. At Portofino there were at least 2 different groups for conventions and I saw more as we resort hopped to SF and RPR.

To be honest, it was a bit off putting at PBH. One night my wife and I really wanted to check out the Thirsty Fish but it was like a massive good ol’ boys club with obnoxious middle aged men smoking cigars, each guy trying to see if they could be the loudest.
Meanwhile it was just the four of us in Bar Americana having a nice quiet conversation on comfortable couches. Who has the better tastes? :toast::)

Meanwhile it was just the four of us in Bar Americana having a nice quiet conversation on comfortable couches. Who has the better tastes? :toast::)

I do like the atmosphere in Bar American and Kevin the bartender was very pleasant. Maduro was my go-to draft offering on the resort but those couches were comfortable, if not a bit too deep for my short legs. I was either leaning forward or almost laying down lol

Reactions: Mad Dog

The properties are literally across the street from each other. Where the OCCC North/South Concords were built was part of the same property before that street was built, when it was part of the Lockheed Martin complex. Though they are still huge properties, so it would be over a mile walk to get from door to door. Not everyone is going to the same restaurant, some will want what their hotel has and others will want to go out and do something. Be it if they have a rental car, Uber, how ever they're going to get out. There's demand and the south property is right in the action.

Reactions: tielo
Status
Not open for further replies.