Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Universal Orlando Resort Expansion News (Part 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah yes, Google trends. The ultimate way to gauge a property's popularity
It really is. A study was conducted that found Google data to be the most accurate predictor of popularity/awareness. And it is certainly used as a credible source by social scientists.
As of today, it seems to be higher than Star Wars :shrug:
Slightly. Due to Fantastic Beasts. However, integrating the results from 2014 tells you which is really king right now. The height and location of the spikes is the best measure of the zeitgeist.
Oh Boy....
I must ask, why is it that rational evidence-based thought outside the echo chamber's opinion generates so much ridicule? Almost as if there's some de facto censorship going on here even within forum rules.

Because you can’t say google trends is rational evidence. You can look and see Potter isn’t waning. New merchandise always popping up, new video games in development, new stories, and the parks are still popular locations. Using google trends means nothing in the case of Potter.

Reactions: youhow2
Has it not?
View attachment 8495
Notice, I said cultural spotlight, not cultural significance.
Hmmm... Weird...

9dGAfekl.png

Because you can’t say google trends is rational evidence. You can look and see Potter isn’t waning. New merchandise always popping up, new video games in development, new stories, and the parks are still popular locations. Using google trends means nothing in the case of Potter.
I certainly can. How many academic journals do you read?

Conversely, companies still making merchandise says nothing about popularity.

Ah, yes. Academia assessing the zeitgeist.

I remember reading how the quantity of Pinterest likes was a valid indicator of creative merit. It was in the same quarterly where a peer-reviewed article stated that Green Lantern could unequivocally beat Batman, but not Superman.

Reactions: truejonas
Hmmm... Weird...

9dGAfekl.png
And yet, even with the anticipation of a Harry Potter anthology film, the data shows North American audiences (the most important to US theme parks), still holding onto a lead. As I said, it's the spikes and their locations that matter. This is what the data shows, from analyses of Google Trends and survey data.
A lot due to working as a pharmacist.
Ah. And how many deal in social science matters?

Conversely, companies still making merchandise says nothing about popularity.

As actually having a masters in the social sciences field, you also learn you can’t use just one source to back up your claims. I’d have been laughed out of my final project/thesis presentation if I only had google metrics as a source.

Diagon & Hogsmeade are just about always packed, anytime of day, that I walk into them. And I go to the parks often, 20 to 30 days just about every year, and that's off season vacations

Exactly, it’s still the biggest draw in the parks. When people are visiting Orlando, the popularity spikes, somebody could have zero interest in Potter and get hyped the second they arrive at the gate.

oTDVC9P_d.jpg

So it seems to be still more consistently popular than the Avengers. So as has been pointed out here already. Potter is still relevant today. Comparing it to only one other IP such as Star Wars and saying it’s waning isn’t enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.