Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Future of Toon Lagoon

I’m thinking it’s going to fail just like everything else jumping on this bandwagon.

I think the characters themselves are still plenty good to bring to a new audience, but I definitely agree that decent cinematic universes are few and far in between. Marvel has the mantel with this one.

Still waiting on the Forest Gump Cinematic Universe where each person he met along the way gets their own spin-off movie and we can finally learn what they've all been up to since meeting Forest.

Just make sure one of them goes on some sort of river rapid adventure and another somehow goes over a waterfall on a log and boom we've got an overlay for Toon Lagoon :lmao:

Now you're just being silly! :lmao:

I just don't get why people assume kids won't like something because it's old. I watched Popeye when I was a kid and while it was the late 80s/early 90s, Popeye was already decades old at that point.
Yea I know Popeye from the Max Fleischer cartoons in the 1930s. We all know who Popeye is.

Right, my point was relating to people who keep demanding Toon Lagoon get demolished because it's irrelevant. Isn't that the main complaint? That kids don't know these characters?
Maybe Dudley isn’t as recognizable, but I find it hard to believe that there’s people of any age that don’t recognize Popeye.

If anything, kids don’t recognize ET lol.

I wouldn’t worry about fun water rides. I know this argument gets overused, but to anyone that thinks Toon Lagoon needs to be rethemed due to IP relevancy, may I point out Song of the South/Splash Mountain.

But ya know, as we always say around here, tear down the amphitheater and King’s Row Street to make a new Island. Just keep the two popular water rides as Toon Lagoon. The rest is just filler.

I just don't get why people assume kids won't like something because it's old. I watched Popeye when I was a kid and while it was the late 80s/early 90s, Popeye was already decades old at that point.
To be honest I consider Popeye timeless. He’s probably the most popular character in Toon Lagoon. It’s such a shame that SONY rejected the new animated Popeye film from the Hotel Transylvania director. You can find the rejected Popeye clip on YouTube. I was and still am a huge Popeye fan. As for Dudley I was introduced to him from that horrible Brendan Fraser live action movie and of course the ride. I actually think the rides shouldn’t be changed. But I don’t think it would hurt to update some of the characters within the land itself. The land was outdated the day it opened.

I really wonder how many kids have been introduced to these characters with Toon Lagoon and became fans. I think that’s awesome. It would be cool to hear from a kid years from now tell us that they became a huge Popeye and Dudley fan because of there respected water rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alene and I both like the land, and continually laugh every time we walk past the various comics. Plus, lot's of good photo shots there. Not counting the two best 'get wet' fun themed water rides anywhere.

Nancy-land

sluggo-is-lit-nancy-meme.jpg

Right, my point was relating to people who keep demanding Toon Lagoon get demolished because it's irrelevant. Isn't that the main complaint? That kids don't know these characters?

I don't hang around children much, so I can't confirm or deny. I never watched any of the shows/movies or read the comics, so my main Popeye exposure has been from my father making spinach jokes. The rest of the cartoons are hit and miss for me - some I remember seeing in the paper years ago, and others are familiar for unknown reasons.

I wouldn’t worry about fun water rides. I know this argument gets overused, but to anyone that thinks Toon Lagoon needs to be rethemed due to IP relevancy, may I point out Song of the South/Splash Mountain.

That's true. And Song of the South is one of Disney's big no-no films, too, and they haven't redone it.

What's great about Toon Lagoon and a majority of IOA is that its been there since I was a child, and I enjoy it just as much as an adult. Going on Dudley brings me nostalgia that is easy to find at Disney, but rare at Universal. While I can be talked into seeing Dudley and Popeye go, it would also break my heart because I love both of these ride, and they bring back so many memories of my first trip and watching cartoons on Saturdays. I am down for any new or old characters being added to Toon Lagoon, but Uni should do something with the Amphitheater before touching any of the rides. More importantly, they need more rides in Jurassic Park and a replacement of the Lost Continent before they do something with this soggy yet charming land.

What's great about Toon Lagoon and a majority of IOA is that its been there since I was a child, and I enjoy it just as much as an adult. Going on Dudley brings me nostalgia that is easy to find at Disney, but rare at Universal. While I can be talked into seeing Dudley and Popeye go, it would also break my heart because I love both of these ride, and they bring back so many memories of my first trip and watching cartoons on Saturdays. I am down for any new or old characters being added to Toon Lagoon, but Uni should do something with the Amphitheater before touching any of the rides. More importantly, they need more rides in Jurassic Park and a replacement of the Lost Continent before they do something with this soggy yet charming land.
Interesting take...this land is pretty much original from when IOA first opened...A slice of nostalgia in an ever evolving and changing resort

I 100% agree!
Islands of adventure needs an overhaul
-JP retheme to JW needs to happen
-JP/JW area needs that new coaster
-Lost Continent needs to be completely demolished for a new land
-Suess Lansing needs a new ride
-Marvel needs to be completely replaced with another popular IP that can expand
-Once there all done they can work on Toon Lagoon.

I 100% agree!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

I am back and forth on TL. Sometimes I think it needs to be updated to some more current theme to "stay relevant", but at other times I think it is such a unique and nostalgic area that I can't bear to think it will be changed. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer for it.

Comic books are, thankfully, cool again (at least, somewhat cool). The comic strips in the land might not be published anymore, but at least that style is still accepted.

I 100% agree!

-Nope, doesn’t need to happen. Can it? Sure, but 99% of the guests would be indifferent to the change. If it happens, it’s to make it easier marketing for them, that’s it.
-I’m glad we’re getting it, but it wasn’t even close to a priority. It certainly wasn’t needed.
-Here’s the top priority.
-Here’s a 4th priority.
-And concede Marvel to Disney? Lol. Let me say that again. LOL. A new ride and the elimination of Dr Doom is the 3rd priority.
-They could do something with the theater tomorrow. An overhaul or simply a new attraction at TL theater is the 2nd priority.

But overall, with the exception of Poseidon/LC and TL theater (and a night show), IoA is in fantastic shape as pretty much perfect.

Am I the only one that finds TL a fun throwback land?

No, I enjoy it personally. Although I would have loved a Rocky and Bullwinkle ride. I remember going to IOA when it first opened, and there was tons of cartoon merch. I was so close to buying a Whatsamatter U jersey. Last time I went most of that merch was replaced with "cell phone" cases, and other airport store junk.

I think even UOR has given up on the original idea of this land, and now it just sits there neglected compared to other areas in the park.