Mary Poppins Returns (2018) | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Mary Poppins Returns (2018)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I was a little hesitant to weigh in on this movie. Wife and I went and just came away thinking, "Meh". The "Lost Things" song was good but not great and the remainder didn't ring our bell. In some ways, the movie felt like more a vehicle to get to the songs instead of the other way around. The original blended the songs better with the plotline, although "Love To Laugh" isn't a favorite scene though it sets up the joke that carries forward. Also, I wasn't fond of the way that Michael Banks was portrayed. People's tastes are different but, for us, we should have waited for the movie to come to DVD first.

I told my wife that the paper used to fill in the gaps of the kite were a bond certificate early on. Also, I've seen that used as a deus ex Machina too many times as it is.

It's no "Step in Time," but it is an old-fashioned showstopper of the sort we never see anymore. It's a really neat sequence.
I loved the sequence too, but the BMX bike stunts were one of the worst creative choices Ive seen in a while. Who thought that was a good idea for a movie set in 1930s London?

So then..this is the one they're campaigning for getting nominated for the Best Original Song.

I was wondering if it'd either be this, Nowhere To Go But Up or The Place Where Lost Things Go, but I am glad this one's probably going to get nominated.

It has the most of that Broadway/Cirque feel, so I'm rather glad it's probably the one getting nominated. Either way, still is a fantastic number from the film.

Last edited:
Reactions: RevFreako and Nick
"The Place Where Lost Things Go" is the better song, just as a song. "Trip a Little Light..." is obviously the better sequence from a visual/performance perspective, and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is pushing it specifically so they can attempt to stage a smaller version of the number on the broadcast (conveniently held on... ABC).

Reactions: SeventyOne
"The Place Where Lost Things Go" is the better song, just as a song. "Trip a Little Light..." is obviously the better sequence from a visual/performance perspective, and I wouldn't be surprised if Disney is pushing it specifically so they can attempt to stage a smaller version of the number on the broadcast (conveniently held on... ABC).
Lin will be done with Hamilton in Puerto Rico by then too, so he’d be available to perform.