Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 478 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, I don't know if this thing opens in 2020 or 2021. Second, what's with this "ceding" stuff? WDW isn't UOR and vice versa, I think Universal knows they need a draw in 2020 to get people over to the resort. In 2014 Disney threw everything Frozen into DHS when Diagon opened.
So, what's the draw if this doesn't open in 2020, besides PotterCoaster continued interest. Not much time to build anything substantial if JP coaster doesn't open. .

Reactions: Andysol
It also shouldn't have been hard to clone F&F from Hollywood yet that still managed to take them 3 years.

I also don't think there is much precedent for building a large coaster over guest areas in a year round theme park, so it doesn't really make sense for us to be deciding when it should be done.
F&F may be dumb, but it's far more complicated

Reactions: natespf
First, I don't know if this thing opens in 2020 or 2021. Second, what's with this "ceding" stuff? WDW isn't UOR and vice versa, I think Universal knows they need a draw in 2020 to get people over to the resort. In 2014 Disney threw everything Frozen into DHS when Diagon opened.
They threw that Frozen event together within 10 days too, if I remember correctly. Disney was truly spooked about Diagon.

So, what's the draw if this doesn't open in 2020, besides PotterCoaster continued interest. Not much time to build anything substantial if JP coaster doesn't open. .

Disney isn't actually opening much in 2020 though - it will basically be the year of being overrun with star wars fans. Their big year will be 2021 when they celebrate their 50th and open Tron and GotG. Opening a whole new Jurassic WORLD seems like it would be a pretty good way to draw some of those theme park crowds to Universal. I wouldn't be surprised if they just push Bourne to 202o and call it good enough, because people whose main priority is seeing star wars in its first year are less likely to be drawn to Universal regardless of what they open in 2020.

F&F may be dumb, but it's far more complicated
I'm not saying it should have been as fast as a coaster to build, just that it should have been quicker than it was.
Basically, it may feel like the JW coaster should be ready in late 2020, but it also feels like F&F should have been ready in late 2017 and we know that didn't happen.

Sooo, Universal's 2020 answer will be utilizing their big value IP franchise, namely a quickly put together F&F musical show (Deisel tap dancing I guess), F&F cars on huge pop sickle sticks, Foam head F&F stars mud wrestling on the streets of SF. We can never get enough of F&F. Bring it on...;):lol:..............For all intents and purposes GESWL opening effect to draw attendance is 2020, since it will probably open just days or weeks before 2020. Plus the Rat & new Illuminations in 2020 too.

Disney isn't actually opening much in 2020 though - it will basically be the year of being overrun with star wars fans. Their big year will be 2021 when they celebrate their 50th and open Tron and GotG. Opening a whole new Jurassic WORLD seems like it would be a pretty good way to draw some of those theme park crowds to Universal. I wouldn't be surprised if they just push Bourne to 202o and call it good enough, because people whose main priority is seeing star wars in its first year are less likely to be drawn to Universal regardless of what they open in 2020.

I'm not saying it should have been as fast as a coaster to build, just that it should have been quicker than it was.
Basically, it may feel like the JW coaster should be ready in late 2020, but it also feels like F&F should have been ready in late 2017 and we know that didn't happen.
I mean Galaxy’s Edge is basically opening in 2020, whether or not it technically opens in 2019 by a few days.

I mean Galaxy’s Edge is basically opening in 2020, whether or not it technically opens in 2019 by a few days.
I really don't think there is anything that Universal can do to draw away big Star Wars fans though. I doubt that people who care about Galaxy's Edge enough to brave the crowds there in 202o would be going to Universal even if the JW coaster is open.

Having a relatively new and really awesome potter coaster should be enough to attract theme park fans who want to avoid the star wars crowds at Disney and still give Universal a good summer.

Imo, a Transformers level SLOP build in KidZone and DreamWorks or Illumination Theater replaces Shrek for 2020. Nothing earth shattering, but some counterprogramming.

I really don't think there is anything that Universal can do to draw away big Star Wars fans though. I doubt that people who care about Galaxy's Edge enough to brave the crowds there in 202o would be going to Universal even if the JW coaster is open.

Having a relatively new and really awesome potter coaster should be enough to attract theme park fans who want to avoid the star wars crowds at Disney and still give Universal a good summer.

I think uni will be fine for 2020. SW will hurt, for sure. But they’re not gonna go out of business. For better or worse the bulk of the investment right now is going to park 3. Imo that’s a good choice, even if it hurts in the short term.

Imo, a Transformers level SLOP build in KidZone and DreamWorks or Illumination Theater replaces Shrek for 2020. Nothing earth shattering, but some counterprogramming.

I think uni will be fine for 2020. SW will hurt, for sure. But they’re not gonna go out of business. For better or worse the bulk of the investment right now is going to park 3. Imo that’s a good choice, even if it hurts in the short term.
And bear in mind Universal is a huge corporation extending far beyond the theme parks. NBC Universal could easily soak up billions in short term losses from the parks in return for greater long-term profits.

Yeah... Comcast is already soaking up theme park losses according to their 3Q earnings report.
I wouldn't doubt that very weak third quarter somewhat contributed to delays/changes in new attractions, even though most of the weakness was due to weather/natural disasters in Japan. The second quarter was pretty flat, all around, also. No strong new ride attractions for 2018 didn't help attendance/revenue either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quint
Absolutely zero chance this opens in 2020. This is a 2021 addition. Potter will hold IOA for 2020. I’d also expect the JP coaster to be the last major addition at IOA until after Fantastic Worlds opens.

When are we expecting construction to begin?

Due to my miscalculation earlier, I've realised that the Potter coaster is being built potentially in 20 months and I don't think this is coaster is going to be any where near as complex or time consuming to build. I'm not saying a summer 2021 is happening but a fall 2021 opening if construction starts within the next few months is entirely feasible.

Pretty rockwork. New animal enclosure show scene for the beginning of ride and visible from queue. New foliage. Likely a continuation of cave/rockwork style from Camp Jurassic with the animal enclosure styles of Jurassic World.

Not nearly as complex as Potter obviously, but more themed than some may be expecting.

Absolutely zero chance this opens in 2020. This is a 2021 addition. Potter will hold IOA for 2020. I’d also expect the JP coaster to be the last major addition at IOA until after Fantastic Worlds opens.

Pretty rockwork. New animal enclosure show scene for the beginning of ride and visible from queue. New foliage. Likely a continuation of cave/rockwork style from Camp Jurassic with the animal enclosure styles of Jurassic World.

Not nearly as complex as Potter obviously, but more themed than some may be expecting.
Well, if Kidzone has changed again, big if, then it would make sense that JP Coaster fills that void

Status
Not open for further replies.