Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion | Page 57 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 29 General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When speaking, writing, and developing an idea, it is easier to associate to a codename than a specific number. The human brain remembers the word association better than the number association.

EDIT: No need to be an insider for this. Basic human psychology is all that is needed.

House treatments are already written. Part of the fun was the cast adopting the code name. Now that’s no more.

When speaking, writing, and developing an idea, it is easier to associate to a codename than a specific number. The human brain remembers the word association better than the number association.

EDIT: No need to be an insider for this. Basic human psychology is all that is needed.
Welcome Phreeq!

Reactions: JMalez
Not to be a nitpicker but that ("Captain") was the codename for the original Halloween house. Hell Comes To Haddonfield had the codename "Pumpkin", which while it was likely done off of the poster / title screen, could still be confused with general Halloween mythos (or Trick R Treat, which was the first throw out after that name came out I believe).

Good call. I go my Halloweens mixed up. Should have gone with my first choice (and all time favorite) "ABBA"

Reactions: ChaseTuff
Question that's more of a general HHN question rather than being specific to this year.

Do you think we'd ever see a house with something similar to the beginning of the Universal Monsters maze over in Hollywood? Not sure if it has an actual name but it's an outdoor section before you head into the actual house itself.
You can see it here at the 50 second mark.

Just think that's a cool concept and would like to see it make it's way over to Orlando at some point.

Question that's more of a general HHN question rather than being specific to this year.

Do you think we'd ever see a house with something similar to the beginning of the Universal Monsters maze over in Hollywood? Not sure if it has an actual name but it's an outdoor section before you head into the actual house itself.

Just think that's a cool concept and would like to see it make it's way over to Orlando at some point.

they kinda already did it in 2000 with Universal Classic Monster Mania (Universal Classic Monster Mania | Halloween Horror Nights Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia where the classic monsters appearances were "updated" to be more terrifying.

They've done it with finales before. Maximum Carnage ended in an outdoor junkyard after you left the Carnage warehouse. 25 Years kinda did it too, with extra props and a scare outside the soundstage.

And that Channel Zero cancellation is a severe bummer...

Sucks we’ll never see Pretzel Jack or the Tooth Boy at HHN, they were both made for houses.

Sort of off topic but with the ST2 house I really hope they don’t include 8’s scenes, Episode 7 was ok but was so disconnected from the rest of the series. Can’t wait to see how they do the Shadow Monster or if they’ll use screenz

Reactions: Kadath
Sucks we’ll never see Pretzel Jack or the Tooth Boy at HHN, they were both made for houses.

Sort of off topic but with the ST2 house I really hope they don’t include 8’s scenes, Episode 7 was ok but was so disconnected from the rest of the series. Can’t wait to see how they do the Shadow Monster or if they’ll use screenz
I wonder if maybe they will make an animatronic of it’s head, like the poltergeist, and have it coming through a door or window to your side.

No, it's not. The copyright (trademark) was terminated.

So, if they could make a scare-zone with the other icons in it at 25, could they put her in a similar zone at 30, since they've had an "icon/past characters" zone at every anniversary year? If the copyright was terminated, then that would mean they wouldn't have to pay to give her a mini-stage like Caretaker, Director, Storyteller and Usher were given? Or would they still have to pay Weiner despite the copyright being terminated?

I think her being appearing with the others in an icon zone and/or house would just about make 30 for me. And if Terra Cruentas were to also be a house?

^Me, if that were to happen

Last edited:
So, if they could make a scare-zone with the other icons in it at 25, could they put her in it at 30? If the copyright was terminated, then that would mean they wouldn't have to pay to give her a mini-stage like Caretaker, Director, Storyteller and Usher were given? Or would they still have to pay Weiner despite the copyright being terminated?

I think an icons zone or house with her being featured would just about make 30 for me.

Trademark, not Copyright. They are different forms of protection for intellectual properties rights.

The trademark Weiner obtained was a standard mark. No embellishments. No particular font. Not an actual character, character look, or character backstory. Weiner had a Standard mark for the words Bloody Mary when used in entertainment, specifically Halloween attractions. She trademarked words.

The Trademark was cancelled on 10/20/2017 by the USPTO.

If anyone wishes to view the trademark themselves it is Trademark 77450225 and can be accessed through the USPTO TESS search.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
So, if they could make a scare-zone with the other icons in it at 25, could they put her in a similar zone at 30, since they've had an "icon/past characters" zone at every anniversary year? If the copyright was terminated, then that would mean they wouldn't have to pay to give her a mini-stage like Caretaker, Director, Storyteller and Usher were given? Or would they still have to pay Weiner despite the copyright being terminated?

I think her being appearing with the others in an icon zone and/or house would just about make 30 for me. And if Terra Cruentas were to also be a house?
In theory, yes they could their image of Bloody Mary and refer to her by name.

Here's an honest assessment though: even in 2008, Mary felt... Unique... Compared to the other icons. A big part of that was because she "existed" before HHN. She wasn't wholely original. She also felt more developed and arguably scary than the anything else they've done. Combined with her history of NOT being part of the "icons," I'd prefer her to remain isolated from them.

Imagine if HHN had Jack, Caretaker, Director, Storyteller, and Usher. And then, included in there, was Cryptkeeper. It would be jarring, weird, and lessen the impact of the whole thing.

Here's an honest assessment though: even in 2008, Mary felt... Unique... Compared to the other icons. A big part of that was because she "existed" before HHN. She wasn't wholely original. She also felt more developed and arguably scary than the anything else they've done. Combined with her history of NOT being part of the "icons," I'd prefer her to remain isolated from them.

Imagine if HHN had Jack, Caretaker, Director, Storyteller, and Usher. And then, included in there, was Cryptkeeper. It would be jarring, weird, and lessen the impact of the whole thing.

Unless she could get her own house (again, that wouldn't mean she'd be the icon), I don't care. If she could appear at 30, along the same lines as the other icons, without infringing upon what marketing requires, she deserves her due.

Mary was definitely unique. If we go by the mythos created for Fear, Mary would have never fit as one of his icons.

If Mary reappears at the event, her desire to destroy fear is in direct opposition to the other icons. I would love for her to have her own year again.

Interestingly, UO actually used her in the trivia game last year. Were they testing the waters to see if Weiner would notice and attempt to revive her trademark?

Mary was definitely unique. If we go by the mythos created for Fear, Mary would have never fit as one of his icons.

If Mary reappears at the event, her desire to destroy fear is in direct opposition to the other icons. I would love for her to have her own year again.

Interestingly, UO actually used her in the trivia game last year. Were they testing the waters to see if Weiner would notice and attempt to revive her trademark?

Yeah, that is a good point. Even if they made plans to feature her in some capacity (a stage and/or section of a house with the others), Weiner could easily renew, or at least attempt to renew the trademark and nix those plans. So I couldn't blame them for being hesitant, in that case. I have no resentment towards her, BTW.

But are we really going by how Fear resonated? He seemed like such a non-factor. If they CAN feature her at 30 with the others, then unless the trademark being revived is a potential issue (which I think as being the likely case), they should ABSOLUTELY do so! She was too amazing a character to let such a weak, half-baked "icon" like Fear override.

Last edited:
Yeah, that is a good point. Even if they made plans to feature her in some capacity (a stage and/or section of a house with the others), Weiner could easily renew, or at least attempt to renew the trademark and nix those plans. So I couldn't blame them for being hesitant, in that case. I have no resentment towards her, BTW.

But are we really going by how Fear resonated? He seemed like such a non-factor. If they CAN feature her at 30 with the others, then unless the trademark being revived is a potential issue (which I think as being the likely case), they should ABSOLUTELY do so! She was too amazing a character to let such a weak, half-baked "icon" like Fear override.

I’m not concerned with how Fear resonated or even with Fear himself, I’m concerned how the stories would clash. I don’t want future use to alter her story by forcing her into a grouping she doesn’t fit.

I have been back and forth with the idea of including anything from episode 7, I think they should, but they need to keep it real simple. Kali is a part of the series now so I expect to see her included but I could do without including much from episode 7. I've been wondering about the Mindflayer myself, I think with screens/mirrors (basic visual trickery), animatronics, stilt walkers, and/or puppets they could do it (lots of options for sure). They had the giant monster from Poltergeist for 28 which was stilt walkers and I think one was a puppet. I'm more curious about the Demodogs and Dart. Will they have multiples like they did with the Demogorgon? Will it all be puppets? Or will there also be some scare actors in suits/partial suits? Do you think they'd even include them or just include a small Dart prop or static Demodog statue(s)? I'm excited forthe possibility of the scene with Eleven and Hopper closing the gate. One thing is for certain I expect there to be about 10 times the amount of fog and snow as last year.

Reactions: truejonas