Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion | Page 70 | Inside Universal Forums

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's images like this from NearMap where we can see how much progress was made last year on this coaster (bottom in January 2018, top is November). However, it also makes me remember that this ride isn't scheduled to open until 2021.

I get that they still have to install track, the queue needs to be worked on, the cast needs to film for the ride, and it will likely need a lot of testing (among other things), but with where they are currently at in this process, it just seems incomprehensible to me on how this is going to take over TWO YEARS to finish this thing still. With where they are at on TRON construction, a 2021 opening makes sense, but for this ride with where construction is currently at? It just seems excessive, even for a company like Disney who regularly takes their time building new rides.
kgFPPSY.jpg

It's surely going to be one of the longest timetables for a single attraction in Disney's history. Roughly 4 years from announcement (and closure of UOE) to projected opening.

I imagine this will open before Tron which was announced at the same time.
Yeah, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison as Tron has mostly just been doing work pertaining to moving the retention ponds so far and hasn’t even gone vertical. Guardians will have spent more time under actual construction by far by the time they’re both open.

GotG is rumored to open Spring 2021 and Tron Summer 2021, so not that big of a difference.

Reactions: belloq87
Yeah, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison as Tron has mostly just been doing work pertaining to moving the retention ponds so far and hasn’t even gone vertical. Guardians will have spent more time under actual construction by far by the time they’re both open.

GotG is rumored to open Spring 2021 and Tron Summer 2021, so not that big of a difference.

Not much of a difference but the point is that Guardians will be the longest time between announcement and opening which will be broken shortly after by tron.

Not much of a difference but the point is that Guardians will be the longest time between announcement and opening which will be broken shortly after by tron.
True from announcement to opening, but I consider construction time to open to be where it really counts.

I mean, if we were to go from announcement to open with some Universal projects we’d be looking at a very short window. Doesn’t cut down on actual construction time though.

True from announcement to opening, but I consider construction time to open to be where it really counts.

I mean, if we were to go from announcement to open with some Universal projects we’d be looking at a very short window. Doesn’t cut down on actual construction time though.

It’s just semantics. If we go by the announcement logic, Nintendo wins and @Mike S will be ready to have a meltdown.

Reactions: RevFreako
It’s just semantics. If we go by the announcement logic, Nintendo wins and @Mike S will be ready to have a meltdown.
I disagree. It’s more than semantics imo.

An announcement is just that - an announcement. Actual time of construction is its own thing, too. Both are two completely separate things.

Reactions: Scott W.
My gauge is this: if an attraction is replacing something, my clock starts when that original attraction closes. If it's a new build, my clock starts when there's consistent progress at the site.

There are exceptions.

Reactions: Nick and Scott W.
I disagree. It’s more than semantics imo.

An announcement is just that - an announcement. Actual time of construction is its own thing, too. Both are two completely separate things.

I'm not disagreeing but the original post said announcement to opening which I replied to.

It's surely going to be one of the longest timetables for a single attraction in Disney's history. Roughly 4 years from announcement (and closure of UOE) to projected opening.

It's images like this from NearMap where we can see how much progress was made last year on this coaster (bottom in January 2018, top is November). However, it also makes me remember that this ride isn't scheduled to open until 2021.

I get that they still have to install track, the queue needs to be worked on, the cast needs to film for the ride, and it will likely need a lot of testing (among other things), but with where they are currently at in this process, it just seems incomprehensible to me on how this is going to take over TWO YEARS to finish this thing still. With where they are at on TRON construction, a 2021 opening makes sense, but for this ride with where construction is currently at? It just seems excessive, even for a company like Disney who regularly takes their time building new rides.
kgFPPSY.jpg
Where'd you get the Nearmap image?

I think the point is. It looks like it could open this summer from the outside. I mean we have no idea what kind of show scenes are going on the indoors. The track is already on site. Coasters don’t typically take 3 years+ to build.