Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My basis lands on the effect a color has on the environment surrounding the area. It may be the same ride, but a color does impact the rider's experience. If Coke decided to go with a purple logo and have a completely different logo, it would change the experience. The rebranding to a new color and a new theme not only takes away the vibrant environment, but singles out the movie to be associated with World rather than making it it's own thing. I agree with the notion that Jurassic Park is Islands of Adventure should be its own thing and not something of a franchise like World or Park. Color is a huge part of a surrounding environment.

Ok so your argument is the color. I agree 100% that color changes the experience for what your trying to portray in any given form of art. I consider theme parks an art form in a way. But, this is the ultimate question. Does the change of color worsen the experience in this particular situation? Meaning the transition to JP to JW. Well here’s the thing. It’s completely subjective. Just like all art. You think the change of JW will ruin the experience. For me I really don’t mind the change because like I said earlier it’s very minuscule. My experience in a theme park are the attractions. And I think everyone would agree that usually the greatest aspects of a theme park are the rides. Sure great theming and immersion is great. But, if the attractions suck than it diminishes everything else. JP won’t have a problem in this department.

If the land does get a JW branding makeover, they better not change out the music loops to exclusively JURASSIC WORLD tracks. I like Michael Giacchino's work on those movies, but the scores pale in comparison to the John Williams stuff.

Food for thought, what if he CREATES original music, similar to what he is doing with GE (and did with Incredicoaster)?

Ok so your argument is the color. I agree 100% that color changes the experience for what your trying to portray in any given form of art. I consider theme parks an art form in a way. But, this is the ultimate question. Does the change of color worsen the experience in this particular situation? Meaning the transition to JP to JW. Well here’s the thing. It’s completely subjective. Just like all art. You think the change of JW will ruin the experience. For me I really don’t mind the change because like I said earlier it’s very minuscule. My experience in a theme park are the attractions. And I think everyone would agree that usually the greatest aspects of a theme park are the rides. Sure great theming and immersion is great. But, if the attractions suck than it diminishes everything else. JP won’t have a problem in this department.

Well okay. Let me just say that a brand identity, and this is coming from a graphic designer who works with brand, it doesn't just include color but the typography, the images, and the props that might surround an overall brand. It's literally the visual identity of the brand. As others have stated, Jurassic Park on Isla Adventura isn't Jurassic World and it isn't Jurassic Park from the movies, and therefore it shouldn't have an identity associated with that. I love great rides, and the ride experience is the most important thing to me but part of what makes the experience for me is the surroundings and theme that surrounds the ride. This isn't Six Flags where you can judge a ride based on how the ride runs or how much airtime you get from it, the environment needs to work. Part of why I feel Hulk works is because of the environment because as a roller coaster itself, it doesn't hold a candle to roller coasters like Millennium Force, but why people love it is because of the environment it is surrounded in. I in no way want the attractions to suck, and I feel in a way i'm being misinterpreted. Why can't we be able to update a brand withot making it Jurassic World? We can have new rides and new areas based on an IP that is still very much iconic without attaching it to the reboot franchise. I'm not saying the river boats doesn't need an update either, I'm saying that it should remain as Jurassic Park even if updated. My experience in a theme park is the attractions which is amplified by the environment around it because "theme" is a very important part to it. To have theme, you've got to have an identity which is where brand comes along. An amusement park is different than a theme park, and i think that's very important to consider.

i hate to be so against change because in theory I think Jurassic Park being upgraded to something more modern IS a good thing, but I can't deny my feelings of sadness that Jurassic World could be that upgrade. I do not feel the brand identity of Jurassic World has the longevity of Jurassic Park, and feels stale and industrial. If the roller coaster is themed to World, and the Discovery center is updated to the one in World, I just feel it loses the personality of adventure that I associate with Islands of Adventure.

I was hoping that they were building the third park, which would have the Jurassic World section. So they could keep Jurassic Park the same and just renovate it.

I was hoping that they were building the third park, which would have the Jurassic World section. So they could keep Jurassic Park the same and just renovate it.

The problem I see with JP as a land is the same as the movies. There’s only so many ways you can have something go wrong before it just becomes the same story again and again.

As far as logos/colors go, JW originally had silver and blue for the initial poster but then switched up to the black/obsidian version for all of the main posters even JWFK and the announcement date logo for JW3. Personally I want to see more of that in the land than the other one

Attachments

• Jurassic_world_poster-banner.jpg
    Jurassic_world_poster-banner.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 7
The problem I see with JP as a land is the same as the movies. There’s only so many ways you can have something go wrong before it just becomes the same story again and again.

Why does something need to go wrong, though? Universal has kind of conditioned us to expect that because it's a story crutch they've used a lot, but there are other foundations around which to build attraction storylines.

Why does the new coaster have to be associated with JW at all? The park can still stay JP themed with River Adventure and a new coaster. The new coaster can just be raptor themed or dilophosaurus themed. Keep the raptor encounter with special guest Blue. Just use JW theming elements in the next park. No one ever said less dinosaurs.

I think the discover center could be turned into the Jurassic World Museum in Fallen Kingdom good or bad idea you think?
That wasn't technically a museum in Fallen Kingdom. It was Benjamin Lockwood's private collection on Lockwood Manor.

To answer your question: Bad idea, only because the setting will not make sense with the rest of the land.

All the talk about colors. Almost as if everyone has forgotten that the overarching style trend for the Jurassic franchise is rough or unfinished concrete.
Grays and blues work for both ends of the franchise, Park and World. In fact, many structures in the first movie had blue accents, so if they stay in that ballpark it could cater to either.

I think it'd make more sense to honor both Park and World and keep the island just general Jurassic. Like someone had mentioned, the island is supposed to be its own separate thing, and not Isla Nublar.

Well okay. Let me just say that a brand identity, and this is coming from a graphic designer who works with brand, it doesn't just include color but the typography, the images, and the props that might surround an overall brand. It's literally the visual identity of the brand. As others have stated, Jurassic Park on Isla Adventura isn't Jurassic World and it isn't Jurassic Park from the movies, and therefore it shouldn't have an identity associated with that. I love great rides, and the ride experience is the most important thing to me but part of what makes the experience for me is the surroundings and theme that surrounds the ride. This isn't Six Flags where you can judge a ride based on how the ride runs or how much airtime you get from it, the environment needs to work. Part of why I feel Hulk works is because of the environment because as a roller coaster itself, it doesn't hold a candle to roller coasters like Millennium Force, but why people love it is because of the environment it is surrounded in. I in no way want the attractions to suck, and I feel in a way i'm being misinterpreted. Why can't we be able to update a brand withot making it Jurassic World? We can have new rides and new areas based on an IP that is still very much iconic without attaching it to the reboot franchise. I'm not saying the river boats doesn't need an update either, I'm saying that it should remain as Jurassic Park even if updated. My experience in a theme park is the attractions which is amplified by the environment around it because "theme" is a very important part to it. To have theme, you've got to have an identity which is where brand comes along. An amusement park is different than a theme park, and i think that's very important to consider.
Jurrassic Park, in the IOA cannon, is meant to exist by itself after the events of the first movie (and maybe second)...However, it still exists in the same identity as Jurrassic Park from the film....Almost if they were trying again in Orlando...

Since there was only one instance where the dinos got out (River Adventure), and it seemed to be relatively contained, there is reason to believe that Jurrassic Park in IOA is now existing alongside the events of Jurrassic World, and blue has been transported to Islands.

Therefore, in my opinion, keeping the original red Jurrassic Park sign makes sense, but so does updating it

Or Universal gives zero F's about the Islands story and is looking to quickly capitalize on the JW hype train

Color is one of the pillars of design. And at this point, we don’t have much else to talk about, so we might as well discuss it :lol:

The production design of JP was overwhelmingly grays and ambers. And then we have the iconic vehicle decals (vibrant warm hues).

I’m totally on board with the history of this “Disneyland Paris” Jurassic Park, but in terms of design, I think plopping a blue coaster down in a land that’s largely grays and ambers would look incredibly out of place. So, two options:

1) Paint it blue and update to a JW aesthetic. Would require much more work and potentionally alienate movie/theme park fans that prefer the nostalgia of JP. BUT megacorps love synergy and they could potentially advertise it as a new land, so who’s to say

2) Keep it in JP colors. Requires less work ($$). And yes, JP is an aging IP. But Disney has attractions based on IPs from the 40s and 50s (heck, they won’t even LET anyone watch Song of the South lmao) that are as popular as ever. JW is obviously more relevant, but does that necessarily mean it’s a more powerful IP?

I obviously don’t know the answers, just enjoying the discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.