Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal Lack of Announcements Thread

:atomic roll eyes:

Sorry, master. The fact remains they announced the damn ride and the damn year. They announced details. But because they didn’t announce a name or an opening date (which apparently THEY DONT EVEN KNOW YET) we’ve been in the midst of an extended fanboy temper tantrum for months.
Careful, Skip. That's apparently some sort of slur now :)

All the "There is a reason they haven't announced anything" defenders who are arguing the lack of information is a cunning move can be nixed quite simply:

-When was F&F date announced (the 2018 one) and when did it open?
-When was Fallon date announced and when did it open?
-When was Kong date announced and when did it open?

We don't need to mention Volcano Bay or Diagon, as those were significantly bigger project and more Apples/Oranges.

The bottom line is this is not normal. What- Universal all of a sudden decided that they are going to market completely differently? The same Universal with the same upper management the last 20 years? The dinosaurs running the joint... change? :lol::lol::lol: No. It's not some intentional marketing genius and "cost savings" measure. To argue that point is ridiculous. Enough with the excuses.

To argue anything different is to discount how they've handled every attraction since Diagon up to this point.

No one has any idea why they haven't announced yet, but it isn't because of their brilliance. Far from it. Jeez.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? F&F opening date announcement was literal about a month before it opene. Fallon was 2-3 months before it opened. Kong opened without any pre-date announcement!

So you're saying that what they're doing with the Potter Coaster is not normal? It's actually quite normal now considering the last 5 years.

So then we would have to ask ourselves why? Is it because they're stupid? Or Lazy? Or both? I think the answer to that would be no.

So then we have to look for rational reasons as to why they keep all info so closely guarded until so very close to the opening (if even announcing an opened date ahead of time at all).

Because they literally don’t know what season it’s gonna open dude. If they announced July (or whatever) months ago and it didn’t open until September or October, everyone would be whining the same as they are now.

Because apparently that’s all we do around here anymore

First, you don’t know that they don’t know what season it’s going to open. That’s an assumption.

Second, if that is the case, that’s more than fine. That still doesn’t make it normal! Lol.

That’s never even been my argument anyways, so I don’t understand why you’re trying to argue with me. My stance is simply that it’s abnormal and people shouldn’t act like it is normal. Unless you want to argue that universal not knowing what season they are opening an attraction the year they are opening it is normal to you.

Last edited:
That’s why I said after Diagon. Because between Hogsmeade and Diagon were Universals transformative years. I think you’d agree with that, right?

Kong was also announced as “Summer 2016” on May 6, 2015. Over 14 months before it opened.
Again, this is unprecedented.

I don't know why it matters if it was before or after Diagon (transformative years or not) if the M.O. has been the same?...

Regardless, since you wanted to focus on the 3 after -

F&F August 25, 2015 was announced for a 2017 opening. It wasn't until June 5, 2017 - a full 2 years later - that we got an official date move and the Spring 2018 timeline. We got specific details Nov 2, 2017 - about 6 months before opening. Never got an opening date, as it just "opened".

Fallon was announced Oct 28, 2015 with a 2017 opening. On Nov 1, 2017, we got a Spring 2017 timeline with more details. On Jan 13, 2017 - we got the April 6th opening date. So basically - 6 months before opening again.

Kong was announced May 6, 2015 (and let's keep in mind, it was half-way into construction when it was announced.) for a Summer 2016 opening. They started rolling out details about the attraction starting Feb 25 and began the "Myth Explorer" social stuff mid-March. We never got an opening date announcement officially, mostly due to some ride issues delaying it and ultimately, the Pulse tragedy.

So.... as you can see - it's nothing new... They announce attractions about a year out, share details about 6 months out, and then we get an opening timeframe within 2-3 months.

The only thing about Potter Coaster is they haven't outright said Summer 2019. Other than that, it's par for the course.

I don't know why it matters if it was before or after Diagon (transformative years or not) if the M.O. has been the same?...

Regardless, since you wanted to focus on the 3 after -

F&F August 25, 2015 was announced for a 2017 opening. It wasn't until June 5, 2017 - a full 2 years later - that we got an official date move and the Spring 2018 timeline. We got specific details Nov 2, 2017 - about 6 months before opening. Never got an opening date, as it just "opened".

Fallon was announced Oct 28, 2015 with a 2017 opening. On Nov 1, 2017, we got a Spring 2017 timeline with more details. On Jan 13, 2017 - we got the April 6th opening date. So basically - 6 months before opening again.

Kong was announced May 6, 2015 (and let's keep in mind, it was half-way into construction when it was announced.) for a Summer 2016 opening. They started rolling out details about the attraction starting Feb 25 and began the "Myth Explorer" social stuff mid-March. We never got an opening date announcement officially, mostly due to some ride issues delaying it and ultimately, the Pulse tragedy.

So.... as you can see - it's nothing new... They announce attractions about a year out, share details about 6 months out, and then we get an opening timeframe within 2-3 months.

The only thing about Potter Coaster is they haven't outright said Summer 2019. Other than that, it's par for the course.

Finally! A well thought out response. Truly appreciate it Brian.

So if that’s status quo, so then in November, if the May date were set, it should have been announced.

So now we’re looking at August at the earliest if an announcement were imminent and things hold true to form.

(And obviously, if it comes out before August, then it is abnormal).

Finally! A well thought out response. Truly appreciate it Brian.

So if that’s status quo, so then in November, if the May date were set, it should have been announced.

So now we’re looking at August at the earliest if an announcement were imminent and things hold true to form.

Well, not necessarily. For all we know, they can announce this tomorrow and still be on track. Looking at Kong, they started the marketing rollout in Feb for what they initially targeted as a May/June opening.

Well, not necessarily. For all we know, they can announce this tomorrow and still be on track. Looking at Kong, they started the marketing rollout in Feb for what they initially targeted as a May/June opening.

In terms of opening date, sure. But the season I.e.- “plan your vacations for this time frame” announcement will have been off historically:
F&F with 10 months lead
Fallon with 6 months (with VB being the main lead this year)
Kong with 14 months

In terms of opening date, sure. But the season I.e.- “plan your vacations for this time frame” announcement will have been off historically. By as much as half of F&F/Fallon (6 mos lead each) and 1/4 of Kong (14 mos lead).

Spring and Summer are such broad statements, though. Summer in Orlando is considered late May- early Aug, and Spring late Feb-early May. That's not really pinning down a date. If someone is trying to visit UO just to experience Potter, they're going to want a firm date. As we look at the past 3 rides, only 1 got a hard date 3 months out. Granted, extraordinary circumstances happened for two of them.

Spring and Summer are such broad statements, though. Summer in Orlando is considered late May- early Aug, and Spring late Feb-early May. That's not really pinning down a date. If someone is trying to visit UO just to experience Potter, they're going to want a firm date. As we look at the past 3 rides, only 1 got a hard date 3 months out. Granted, extraordinary circumstances happened for two of them.

I don’t disagree with any of that.

But if it’s so ambiguous and/or unimportant, then why have they always done it?
And, if it ends up where they don’t do it here, then why this time?

The potter/firm date explanation is a good one. I don’t know if I give UOR brass that much credit, though. Maybe you should be in charge of their PR because it does make sense. Hah.

If they announce summer 2019 tomorrow and it opens in September, ignore all of this, of course. :)

The issue for me isn’t the date, it’s the fact that the project is still hidden behind vague platitudes. They don’t need to pin a date when it comes to releasing specific details a la “hey so this is what this ride will be, get hyped” instead of “unnamed Harry Potter roller coaster”, which is not exactly marketable. Again, Uni tore down the Pottermore post which seemed fine at the time. The only explanation at this point is that they’re worried about not making 2019 itself, which from all accounts seems unlikely.

That said, I hope Alicia is right because we could use a release valve on this train wreck of a thread I almost regret putting into existence by this point.

To go back to one of my earlier points, UOR will need to get more aggressive if they expect to compete with Disney’s upcoming wave of new attractions. The “status quo” doesn’t always work forever. Things change. Now that they are opening another theme park, It’s time to put on big boy pants.

Am I the only one who thinks they’ve known for a long time that this would not make a summer opening?

The only reason I think this is that my AP renewal last year would take us to March, but back in Feb ‘18 they started adding 3 months free....I think later they started given 6 months free.

For some reason, I was sure my passes would expire before this ride opens and the free months would bring me to a time when this could influence renewals...instead of a 2nd renewal when ‘there is nothing new’.

Anyway, I just feel the free months for renewals was a sign that therewould be nothing new by June of this year.

I think the biggest issue is Universal knows people know things about these rides. They monitor here and the Facebook group where all these rumors are posted. So why keep these things so secret? Yes the GP doesn’t know, but come on. Does Bourne really need to be so hush hush still? No.

I think the biggest issue is Universal knows people know things about these rides. They monitor here and the Facebook group where all these rumors are posted. So why keep these things so secret? Yes the GP doesn’t know, but come on. Does Bourne really need to be so hush hush still? No.
Now Bourne is an attraction I think needs no announcement...It could basically just be mentioned in a blog post next to Big Fire Grill